Where to sell...

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this has been asked, but where do you go to sell the rings you find?
I've dug up 2 very nice ones:
- 14K with 2 rubies and a diamond (1920s) ~5g total
- Platinum wedding band with 5 diamonds - `3.6g total

Both verified real by local jewelers, but neither will give any info without paying for an appraisal. And all they talk about is the metal scrap value... excuse me, there are diamonds and rubies here too.

So... Pawn shops? Farmer market jewelers? Antique stores?
Any where else?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Auriemma,

I'd try to find a retail value for comparable rings and then calculate the scrap value.

That gives you a range to play with and try to sell privately it might take a bit of time but better than letting them go for scrap value.

And yes almost all buyers won't give you any value on the stones unless they are honkers.....good luck whatever you do.

Regards + HH

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamonds have very little value unless they are large solitaire of high quality.... Rubies also have only small value..... They are high dollar in the store new, but once they are sold and leave the store the value plunges.... Pawn shops will give you less value that if you sold the gold for melt down.... The real value is the melt down value of the gold, or how much a love one or friend would feel if you gave it to them..

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I would never sell mine unless I had to.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to sell all my scrap Sterling silver items on eBay, until the price dropped below $25.00 an ounce. No point selling any silver items right now. Melt price for a typical .925 ring is probably two or three bucks. Hang on to your silver and wait until the speculators drive the price back up again.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is what I would call a "higher class" pawn shop in Colorado Springs that has a very good jeweler working for them. They have half the store setup and jewelry only. They actually pay very well compared to a corner ma and pa pawn shop with bars on every window and a small selection. The guy wears a nice suit and looks the part. He quoted me $220 store credit or $190 cash on a $300 ring I had purchased years back. Was not in perfect condition but was high gold content.

You will never get full value of course and I'm not saying you are expecting that. Don't take the first offer unless you are sure it is a home run and you should come out alright. I agree Ebay would be a good start. Even Craigslist as long as you meet in a well-lit public place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread