Have you ever had One of Those Days?

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if anyone else has had some sucky days. One time I went all the way to Md. with my Xcalibur and started hunting. It lasted about 15 minutes and the battery was dead. I had charged it a couple of days before we went. No way to charge there so had to quit. I bought a backup battery pack, so that will never happen again. I will charge both of those suckers overnight before I go.
Also one time I went hunting with a friend at an old fair grounds. The place had been hunted to death, but still some stuff is always found. We hunted for a couple of hours. I thought it was awfully clean. Then I passed a bear can and scanned over it. Nothing! the whole time my machine had not been working. What a waste of time. But, they both taught me a lesson. Always check your machine before you start. And, if possible, have a backup. No fun sitting while someone else hunts. At least I have never gone and forgotten to take my detector!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of the machines I have owned, including my Tiger Shark, are silent search in the discrimination mode. So of course, I have hunted for a very long time on more than one occasion only to find the reason for the lack of targets was failure to turn the machine on. As to batteries, mine all use regular batteries, which I always carry in the car in case I need to do a change.

my worst "one of those days" was a couple of years ago when I was trying to squeeze in a last hunt before it snowed. Not sure if it was the cold or the fact I had left my detecting shoes in the car all summer, but as soon as I started to hunt, the soles of both shoes started cracking and falling off in big chunks as I walked. By the time I got back to the car, most of both soles was missing.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh don't feel like your all alone lady..... Many of us could "cry a river" here. This happened within 2 hrs. of each other. I'm home, alone and detecting out back in the woods. And I mean ALL WOODS, RIDGES, VALLEYS AND NOTHING ELSE HERE. Just me, the dogs, my equipment and a couple of beers. I dig a hole, pull out a ANOTHER horseshoe and move on. Later I have another "hit" and start to dig and reach for my pin pointer. It's gone. Not good. I've moved by then about 60-70-80 yds. away. Now I'm back tracking and looking everywhere. Now I'm looking, looking and looking and then I hear the faint ringing of my cell phone a long ways away "somewhere". My phone's ringer is always on HIGH because I want to hear it when I'm in the wood shop with machinery running. Now I got a missing pin pointer and a cell phone on high that I can barely hear (not good).

Found the pin pointer after about 20-25 minutes more of looking. Then I went home, got the wife's phone, couple of beers and went back out into area and started to call. FINALLY heard my phone and found it lying by the 1st or 2nd hold I had dug that day.

Then I went home and got another beer..... their hence probably is the root cause of the original problems. You'd have to have been here to understand the search area... NOT GOOD!!!!!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, OJGirl.
I USED to take my battery pack out after every hunt. One time I had driven about halfway to where I was gonna dirt fish....dim light bulb comes on....I left my damn battery pack at home!!:BangHead: I don't take my battery pack out anymore, unless there's snow on the ground!!:thumbsup:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
One of those days? Let's see. I will list them.
1. Was up a creek in the Texas Hill country and was on my hands and knees. Suddenly a baby skunk walked around me to the right and another one with Mommy skunk went around me to the left. I just froze as they walked by.
2. A few miles from there(Llano, Tx.) I was sitting by the river (had done a little panning). Suddenly a bobcat walked up and sat down next to me. He was growling. Then this guy walks up and says not to be scared, he likes you or he wouldn't have approached you. Listen, he's purring. I almost peed myself on that one.
3. On a trail in the wilderness at Big Bend National Park. All alone and peaceful when I hear a noise behind me. 6-8 javelina hogs are going in my direction. I froze(seems to work) and they walked right between my legs. Scared to death cause when I was a kid I had heard all the javelina stories. Trail suddenly forked, they went right, I went left. Took longer to get back, but I didn't care.
4. Sitting at our campsite in Big Bend, eating dinner when two coyotes walked up. Decided to feed them so they would not attack me. Put down a bowl of brown rice mixed with peas and carrots (my hippie days). They tasted, coughed, sneezed and looked at us as if to say, "hey, didn't you know it's against the law to poison the wildlife"?
5. Had a friend and partner who was married to a friend of mine. They were getting a divorce and I figured, what the heck. We went parking near a stream, across from an abandoned stage station right outside San Antonio.Rumor was you could hear the horses and stage go by late at night. Cloudy, some moon sometimes, warm, kissing, about to go to 3rd base when (I swear) the damm invisible?, ghost?, rattling stage comes roaring in the still night. It gets louder and louder and closer and closer and you hear the thing cross the little creek and pass by a foot away. We both freaked out, the mood was broken, mainly because of her screaming and crying to go home. I suggested we sit there and see if it comes back. For some raeson she hated that idea so I took her home. Two days later she was still trembling.
One of those days? I've had a bunch...

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh don't feel like your all alone lady..... Many of us could "cry a river" here. This happened within 2 hrs. of each other. I'm home, alone and detecting out back in the woods. And I mean ALL WOODS, RIDGES, VALLEYS AND NOTHING ELSE HERE. Just me, the dogs, my equipment and a couple of beers. I dig a hole, pull out a ANOTHER horseshoe and move on. Later I have another "hit" and start to dig and reach for my pin pointer. It's gone. Not good. I've moved by then about 60-70-80 yds. away. Now I'm back tracking and looking everywhere. Now I'm looking, looking and looking and then I hear the faint ringing of my cell phone a long ways away "somewhere". My phone's ringer is always on HIGH because I want to hear it when I'm in the wood shop with machinery running. Now I got a missing pin pointer and a cell phone on high that I can barely hear (not good).

Found the pin pointer after about 20-25 minutes more of looking. Then I went home, got the wife's phone, couple of beers and went back out into area and started to call. FINALLY heard my phone and found it lying by the 1st or 2nd hold I had dug that day.

Then I went home and got another beer..... their hence probably is the root cause of the original problems. You'd have to have been here to understand the search area... NOT GOOD!!!!!

I lost my lesch digger twice in the woods. Took me hours to find it both times. Now I bought a roll of bright orange tape and taped the whole handle . Also taped the handle of my pin pointer and trowel. Here in the woods there is a lot of blueberry bushes and leaves. That bright orange stands out.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost my lesch digger twice in the woods. Took me hours to find it both times. Now I bought a roll of bright orange tape and taped the whole handle . Also taped the handle of my pin pointer and trowel. Here in the woods there is a lot of blueberry bushes and leaves. That bright orange stands out.

Good idea on the orange tape.... I shouldn't rat myself like this but here goes.... I've left my pin pointer lay now 3 times. Maybe a string on it and me would be better.

Auba14

Jun 17, 2015
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First IH penny I ever found, stuck it in the pouch. Kept detecting and when done went home. Got home, no IH penny. Have gone back to that place a couple of times, never have found it. Probably got chewed up by a lawn mower. I now carry a small container for special finds, does not get much use, but still carry it. Lesson learned, I hope.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other

First off, you need a back pack for beer, save all that running home....

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a hunt where I wasn't getting any targets for about 15-20 min. This was in a park, so there should have been plenty of trash targets if nothing else. Come to find out I had accidentally hit the sound kill button on my Gray Ghost headphones. Now anytime I am not finding any signals, I do a quick air test and double-check that switch.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple more Beers and you probably wouldn't care where anything was. Good story.

Listen buddy 3-4 beers are NOT going to make me forget "where anything was"... I just get too geeked up with a good signal, not organized on carrying everything and having fun along with all the dogs "helping me". Skipping the beer I'd probably still do the same thing... not good I know.

And the other person stating about backpacking beer and not coming home for it.... Hell I might as well pack a tent, food and forget MDing.... Naw, the beer isn't that important just a break being close to home and having fun.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody needs to sell their pin pointer with a small chain attached to the non-business end of it....just attach the other end to a belt loop or something!!:thumbsup:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somebody needs to sell their pin pointer with a small chain attached to the non-business end of it....just attach the other end to a belt loop or something!!:thumbsup:

Can't argue ..... But let's not mention names T.C. :tongue3:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've dropped my Leache digger a few times in the bush, had to retrace my steps to the last hole. Dropped the pinpointer or left it beside the hole only realizing that I did this on the next target. Driving for a hour to the site then unloading the gear there's no cord to the Grey Ghosts, or no Grey Ghosts as I left them at home. Running down to the local hardware store in the nearest town to buy a screwdriver, or another shovel as I forgot to pack them up so I have a nice collection of shovels.:) I figured it was cheaper to buy a shovel then burn the gas and the time up, and admitting to the wife I forgot to check the list once again. :) The mosquitoes were really bad in 2011 where we were living so I figured I would use Citronella and the wife suggested I spray the coil as it was close to the ground and it might help, so I basically bathed the coil, hat, clothing, headphones in repellant and it seemed to work. I put the gear in the truck and went out to detect a few days later, cup dropped off the Grey Ghosts as the frame just broke, coil dropped off as the tabs just snapped off. This was a natural product too so I now keep sprays off the equipment. Brain farts never seem to go away they just become the norm somedays.:)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:
Yes, have had those days, well,....... for a long time I thought it was detecting!

1. Get to spots, batteries dead, or forgot batteries or detector altogether.
2. Yep, have detected with it off or the headphones not completely plugged in, or setting all out of whack.
3. wore steal toed boots, and could not get the detector set or locate the target, since it kept moving on me.
4. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting!
And you would think you would ,learn? No, I've done the above more than once, ok ok many times!

And the best/worst of all! My wife likes to go, she looks for arrowheads,rocks,detects, plays with bugs and snakes,crawls in scary caves or whatever she does!
I was detecting an area for an hour or two and had been there many times convinced there was something. She is just walking around kicking dirt and looking for whatever it is she looks for. I'm finding NOTHING! She runs up and says "Is this what you are looking for!"(sarcastically , and laughing"who needs a detector.") and has a green indian head penny in her hand! UHHGGGGG!:BangHead:

Actually, I joke a lot! But we have fun! and I was happy she found it! I guess.........:laughing7:

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've walked out the back door without my detector....went back in the house thinking. Does it get worse?? Soon I may have to wear a name tag with my address and phone number on it, that states: If found call this number or return to this address.:tongue3:
:laughing7:
Yes, have had those days, well,....... for along time I thought it was detecting!

1. Get to spots, batteries dead, or forgot batteries or detector altogether.
2. Yep, have detected with it off or the headphones not completely plugged in, or setting all out of whack.
3. wore steal toed boots, and could not get the detector set or locate the target, since it kept moving on me.
4. I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting!
And you would think you would ,learn? No, I've done the above more than once, ok ok many times!

And the best/worst of all! My wife likes to go, she looks for arrowheads,rocks,detects, plays with bugs and snakes,crawls in scary caves or whatever she does!
I was detecting an area for an hour or two and had been there many times convinced there was something. She is just walking around kicking dirt and looking for whatever it is she looks for. I'm finding NOTHING! She runs up and says "Is this what you are looking for!"(sarcastically , and laughing"who needs a detector.") and has a green indian head penny in her hand! UHHGGGGG!:BangHead:

Actually, I joke a lot! But we have fun! and I was happy she found it! I guess.........:laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've walked out the back door without my detector....went back in the house thinking. Does it get worse?? Soon I may have to wear a name tag with my address and phone number on it, that states: If found call this number or return to this address.:tongue3:

I went on a week hunting/camping trip. Not much hunting going on, just us guys acting like giant kids with beer, with no one to put us in our place....There is a place in the woods that was said to have had war activity(keeping it vague). Packed everything, have car loaded, drive two hours to camp, we're all sitting around(few beers by now) and someone says grab your detector! I go to the car? :BangHead: It's still at home on the couch!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored::BangHead::censored::BangHead:I can imagine a lot of that went on....gimme another beer!!
I went on a week hunting/camping trip. Not much hunting going on, just us guys acting like giant kids with beer, with no one to put us in our place....There is a place in the woods that was said to have had war activity(keeping it vague). Packed everything, have car loaded, drive two hours to camp, we're all sitting around(few beers by now) and someone says grab your detector! I go to the car? :BangHead: It's still at home on the couch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions