QUESTION ABOUT YOUTUBE

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be subbing to the channel itself...not a single video. Revenue on Youtube is generated only if the channel is "monetized". Meaning that channel will run ads before or during the videos....and that is where the revenue is generated. Like a commercial for a TV station. Often times you will be able to skips the ads after a few seconds...which does not affect the revenue of the channel.

You can have 1,000,000 subscribers and not make a cent if your monetized videos are not getting individual hits. Videos hits > Subscribers

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and why do all businesses want you to hit "like" on them? does that help them get money?

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not do youtube much but it seems like every one wants you to subscribe.. No money then ego right.. or both could be .. I think they do get something out of it

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
and why do all businesses want you to hit "like" on them? does that help them get money?
Myself i would say YES.. There is a set of hunters that put up on you tube and on Treasure web sites and on Tnet here . They say enter there contest and win a detector .. But you have to subscribe to there youtube videos to enter there contest .. Sounds fishy to me..

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's on facebook which I don't use. I only watch music videos on youtube and don't subscribe to anything

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And not all videos are set to be "monetized". I have a few (not detecting) and just put them out there for nuttin. Just a handy place to store videos for sharing on sites that require a link instead of a file. Safer for viewers.

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
that's on facebook which I don't use. I only watch music videos on youtube and don't subscribe to anything
The only thing i go to you tube for is when i need information to repair something i do not know much about ... There you can watch how to fix & repair and then do it your self..

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And not all videos are set to be "monetized". I have a few (not detecting) and just put them out there for nuttin. Just a handy place to store videos for sharing on sites that require a link instead of a file. Safer for viewers.
That is good i guess but i do not under stand .. You see i still use a flip phone..

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The reason people want subscribers is because the more subscribers you have, the more businesses want to put expensive ads on your channel. There is no direct revenue produced by a channel's subscribers. You get paid 55% of the ad revenue from your videos. Unless you have ten of thousands of views, you aren't making much.
Jim

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find out by making a youtube video with a beautiful woman half dressed, you'll get a million hits in a week!

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason people want subscribers is because the more subscribers you have, the more businesses want to put expensive ads on your channel. There is no direct revenue produced by a channel's subscribers. You get paid 55% of the ad revenue from your videos. Unless you have ten of thousands of views, you aren't making much.
Jim
So you see then they are making something and a chance to make some big $$$ but it does boost up & blow up there egos...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So you see then they are making something and a chance to make some big $$$ but it does boost up & blow up there egos...
Yeah, you can make money, but the money doesn't come from the subscribers...it comes from the advertisers.
Jim

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also the possibility of getting reimbursement from manufacturers by using their machines in the vids and working that logo into the shot every chance they get.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you can make money, but the money doesn't come from the subscribers...it comes from the advertisers.
Jim

Correct. Youtube is getting money from advertisers and then sending that money to monetized channels that run ads before or during their videos. While Youtube is the one sending you the check...the $$$ is coming from the advertising company.

Example....a Ford or Chevy commercial runs before a video....Ford or Chevy pays Youtube who in turn takes a cut and then pays the channel a %.

I used to have a channel with about 1200 subs....did not make a dime off the subs but had about 16 videos with over 200,000 views and made a few dollars off of those.

I personally monetize every video I put up on each of my channels. Most people use Chrome or Firefox and then run Ad-Block anyways so they don't even see the ad.

If people want to watch...great. If they don't want to because of the ads...also great. I make sure to turn off the "Mandatory You Must Watch This Video" button on each of my uploads. (sarcasm).

If any company wants to send me free stuff to review and place their logo on my channel I absolutely would without issue. Only a fool turns away free money. If they would expect me to favorably treat their product like some channels do...I would not as that is a bunch of BS in my eyes. That is basically being paid to lie....no thanks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread