Old Antiques Roadshow tid bit -18th-Century China Trade Shipwreck Gold & Porcelain...

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to watch it on a regular basis, then they came to town and issued tickets by some sort of lottery. They clearly stated that ONLY the original ticket holder would be eligible and these things went up for sale all over E-Bay and Craigs list. Roadshow wanted to be advised when this type of situation arose, I gave them names, dates, and ticket numbers and all they said was " we can't control this ", then why "ASK" to be notified ? Has VERY interesting items, guess I'm just bitter. I had planned on taking 4-coin silver spoons with the Hallmark of "P.R." to have them looked at. Sorry for the derailment AARC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No derailment...
If I ever post a thread...
I consider it an "open" for whatever thread... with a laid back "anything goes" attitude.
I don't see threads in a "certain way" like many do...
To me... Talk is talk.
Especially in text...

Besides it gives us all more chances to learn to type better :)

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Watch it religiously and after each episode I examine my stuff to check on value. No major finds yet, but I still hope.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh... this treasure one kills me...
I have seen it before and even back then I had the same thoughts/questions I have now...
Would really love to talk with her at length...
These would be my following questions to her...

#1... are those pieces/bars the only bars they took from the photo of that pile ?
#2... Have they told anyone about that spot ?
#3... Did they ever go back ?
#4... Have they ever found any information as to what they might have possibly found IE: the name of the wreck itself etc.
#5... Was this a "random" spot or was it told to them by someone else ?
#6... If those are the only items you brought up... why did you not bring up more ?
#7... You said "deep water"... as in how deep ?
#8... Did you have to declare them at customs ? or have troubles with transport of bars ?
#9... Is this off a reef ?
Andddd Finally the last one ....

#10... Are you still married... and if not are you single ? :P

Age really does not matter :)

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watch the US Roadshow every Monday night...and enjoy the British version just as much. Hellooo Fiona Bruce... :love4:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
nice thanks for the post, she said the cape verde islands
img of gold from vid
Screenshot 2015-09-09 at 1.13.39 AM.png
[h=1][/h]

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is such a killer picture she took.
And man o man... what a "hit" that would be. sheeeeeesh.

I wonder if it is still there ? heh

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I NEEEEDD a large stack of those bars!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had planned on taking 4-coin silver spoons with the Hallmark of "P.R." to have them looked at.

Now THAT would have been an interesting conversation. :) from: https://www.paulreverehouse.org/bio/silver.html

Revere's Maker's Marks

Authentic silver made in Paul Revere's shop, whether crafted by the patriot himself or by one of his apprentices or journeymen, almost always bears one of his maker's marks. The mark served to identify the silver and to insure its quality.

Revere's marks featured either his surname "REVERE" in a rectangle, used on larger items, or his initials "PR" in italic or block letters, used on smaller items such as teaspoons. Since the mark was impressed into the metal, struck with a die, the lettering appears slightly raised. Revere also used some of his father's marks. Items made early in his career are often marked "P REVERE" while later marks bear his full surname with or without a pellet before it ("REVERE"). The surname mark is approximately 7/16" wide and 1/16-3/16" high.

Although there appears to be some variety among these known marks, Paul Revere did not mark his work using his signature, other numbers or letters, or with a picture of a horse and rider or a patriot's head. Any silver marked in this way was not made in Revere's shop. Revere also did not work in pewter.

Paul Revere also worked in gold, which is why he called himself a "Goldsmith." He made and repaired small items such as jewelry. There is no known marked jewelry made by Revere although several rings have survived which are attributed to him. The jewelry was too small to bear the marks that were used on the silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread