Prospector Shot on his own land - trying to mow!

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put your foot down and refuse to be a victim any longer. I don't recommend you do anything drastic, but you DON'T have to live in fear either. Please read through the information posted below. Take a few classes on firearms and get your CCW permit.

PROTECTION OF PERSONS AND PROPERTY ACT
The stated intent of the legislation is to codify the common law castle doctrine, which recognizes that a person’s home is his castle, and to extend the doctrine to include an occupied vehicle and the person’s place of business. This bill authorizes the lawful use of deadly force under certain circumstances against an intruder or attackerin a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle. The bill provides that there is no duty to retreat if (1) the person is in a place where he has a right to be, including the person’s place of business, (2) the person is not engaged in an unlawful activity, and (3) the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent death, great bodily injury, or the commission of a violent crime. A person who lawfully uses deadly force is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties and he identifies himself in accordance with applicable law or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known the person is a law enforcement officer.
H.4301 (R412) was signed by the Governor on June 9, 2006. South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

SECTION 23-31-400 Definitions; unlawful use of firearm; violations.
(2) "Serious bodily injury" means a physical condition which creates a substantial risk of death, serious personal disfigurement, or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member or organ. South Carolina Legislature Online - Search
Defining ?Serious Bodily Injury? as an Element of Criminal Domestic Violence of a High and Aggravated Nature » The Grose Law Firm, LLC

SECTION 16-1-60. Violent crimes defined.

For purposes of definition under South Carolina law, a violent crime includes the offenses of: murder (Section 16-3-10); attempted murder (Section 16-3-29); assault and battery by mob, first degree, resulting in death (Section 16-3-210(B)), criminal sexual conduct in the first and second degree (Sections 16-3-652 and 16-3-653); criminal sexual conduct with minors, first, second, and third degree (Section 16-3-655); assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct, first and second degree (Section 16-3-656); assault and battery with intent to kill (Section 16-3-620); assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature (Section 16-3-600(B)); kidnapping (Section 16-3-910); trafficking in persons (Section 16-3-930); voluntary manslaughter (Section 16-3-50); armed robbery (Section 16-11-330(A)); attempted armed robbery (Section 16-11-330(B)); carjacking (Section 16-3-1075); drug trafficking as defined in Section 44-53-370(e) or trafficking cocaine base as defined in Section 44-53-375(C); manufacturing or trafficking methamphetamine as defined in Section 44-53-375; arson in the first degree (Section 16-11-110(A)); arson in the second degree (Section 16-11-110(B)); burglary in the first degree (Section 16-11-311); burglary in the second degree (Section 16-11-312(B)); engaging a child for a sexual performance (Section 16-3-810); homicide by child abuse (Section 16-3-85(A)(1)); aiding and abetting homicide by child abuse (Section 16-3-85(A)(2)); inflicting great bodily injury upon a child (Section 16-3-95(A)); allowing great bodily injury to be inflicted upon a child (Section 16-3-95(B)); criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature (Section 16-25-65); abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult resulting in death (Section 43-35-85(F)); abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult resulting in great bodily injury (Section 43-35-85(E)); taking of a hostage by an inmate (Section 24-13-450); detonating a destructive device upon the capitol grounds resulting in death with malice (Section 10-11-325(B)(1)); spousal sexual battery (Section 16-3-615); producing, directing, or promoting sexual performance by a child (Section 16-3-820); sexual exploitation of a minor first degree (Section 16-15-395); sexual exploitation of a minor second degree (Section 16-15-405); promoting prostitution of a minor (Section 16-15-415); participating in prostitution of a minor (Section 16-15-425); aggravated voyeurism (Section 16-17-470(C)); detonating a destructive device resulting in death with malice (Section 16-23-720(A)(1)); detonating a destructive device resulting in death without malice (Section 16-23-720(A)(2)); boating under the influence resulting in death (Section 50-21-113(A)(2)); vessel operator's failure to render assistance resulting in death (Section 50-21-130(A)(3)); damaging an airport facility or removing equipment resulting in death (Section 55-1-30(3)); failure to stop when signaled by a law enforcement vehicle resulting in death (Section 56-5-750(C)(2)); interference with traffic-control devices, railroad signs, or signals resulting in death (Section 56-5-1030(B)(3)); hit and run resulting in death (Section 56-5-1210(A)(3)); felony driving under the influence or felony driving with an unlawful alcohol concentration resulting in death (Section 56-5-2945(A)(2)); putting destructive or injurious materials on a highway resulting in death (Section 57-7-20(D)); obstruction of a railroad resulting in death (Section 58-17-4090); accessory before the fact to commit any of the above offenses (Section 16-1-40); and attempt to commit any of the above offenses (Section 16-1-80). Only those offenses specifically enumerated in this section are considered violent offenses. Code of Laws - Title 16 - Chapter 1 - Felonies And Misdemeanors; Accessories

GET CAMERAS! RECORD EVERYTHING! That might be your only witness.

Pellets have a hollow cone on the backside, 22 ammo doesn't.

thCAZF82LY.jpg

Air rifles come in .22 caliber. Some modern air rifles have as much velocity as a 9mm handgun. Stoeger X-20 S .22 Air Rifle 30301 Free Shipping : Air Rifles at GunBroker.com
Ruger Air Magnum .22 Combo 4x32 Scope 22 : Air Rifles at GunBroker.com
9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

Some air rifles can kill a man. The Girandoni Air Rifle: Deadly Under Pressure The Girandoni Air Rifle: Deadly Under Pressure (VIDEO) - Guns.com

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call the FBI. Report the crime, and while you're at it report the sheriff for doing nothing. It will definitely ruffle some feathers.

The sheriff probably do not do anything because he determined it was a family dispute but I would say someone being shot is beyond just a family "dispute".

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a strange surge of emotions I feel now. Read every page since day 1 and have been following even though I haven't posted yet.

Most of the ride, I've felt that Steve was a victim of injustice (still is) but when you posted about him physically abusing you, the emotions totally shift.

I am totally against spousal abuse and am concerned for you and your family but I almost feel as though you shouldn't have posted that with this story.

It just naturally sways the emotions from "That poor prospector getting shot on his own land, trying to mow" to a mean, abusive husband getting what he deserves!

I don't believe he deserves to get shot....it's just how the emotions feel because I have zero respect for a man that hits a woman.

This whole thing just feels too messed up that I really don't know what to say! Just being honest.

I REALLY hope that all of this works out for the best in the end.

MANY blessings to you and your family.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Call the FBI. Report the crime, and while you're at it report the sheriff for doing nothing. It will definitely ruffle some feathers.

The sheriff probably do not do anything because he determined it was a family dispute but I would say someone being shot is beyond just a family "dispute".

So far I've only seen less than 50% of the entire story. How have you determined that the Sheriff is doing nothing and that the FBI needs to be involved.

Because someone is dissatisfied with an investigation, why would the FBI jump in? If that was so, they would get hundreds of thousands of calls a day. Did I miss some sort of Federal Crime connection here?

I've got to be missing something...

I thought I read all the posts, maybe something revealing additional facts had been deleted and I missed it?

Canster

Dec 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Internal affairs may help and if not, the local or national media would help grease the wheels. Cops hate IA and the media but good medicine tastes bad. Good medicine is helpful at eliminating certain ailments

Cantageous

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff and Thunter know theyre stuff...keep it easy! Hope all is well otherwise!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve went kind of crazy tonight... I'm missing more hair, and a bit sore in the right kidney area. Haven't seen him violent in a while, I suspect that the goings on recently set him off again.... Doesn't matter though, I made a decision a while back that I would not take any more physical abuse. He's in jail... but the shooter is still free - go figure. I will never again defend him in what he does to me or my children.... But, A sorry scum bag that shoots a man on a mower is about as low as you can go.... Steve deserves to be arrested for his assaults, but that Slime Ball, Thug, deserves to rot in jail!

The OP of this thread has not posted on the forum since this last one above and she has not been on the forum since Oct 1st.

Hope everything is OK!?!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread