Silicone on the coil cover

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard often and repeatedly to seal the coil cover in place with silicone caulk or sealant. Now I never have as yet (preferring to remove it and clean it out periodically) and black sand is not a local problem. If you look at the Periodic Table you see Silicon is a metal, right between Aluminum and Phosphorus. Silicone is an electrical insulator. Now to me it seems that neither is the kind of substance I want blocking the signals in or out from my coils.

Thoughts? Comments? Dismissive looks or obscene gestures?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always thought of silicone as a non-conducter, therefore a good insulator. I wouldn't think it would have any effect on your detector at all. Isn't epoxy a silicone based compound? If so, about 80% of your coil is made of epoxy isn't it? I don't know this for a fact, just what I've always thought. Thinking is dangerous. Maybe I should just stick to obscene gestures? M ;) nty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is Dust & Water are like

Cockroaches & Mice.

They will find a way in.

& if you seal it shut, You won't know it's there.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff is right about not knowing it is there if it's sealed. I used to seal the seam of my coil covers but not anymore. I had a small gap in the seam and black sand got inside the cover. Detectors started acting funny and I never thought there could be a gap to let in the black sand. After sending it in for a fix, it came back at no charge except for shipping with a note to clean out the cover. That is all that was wrong with it. But it could have easiely been something else.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I tried them all and the fine sand will get in no matter how you seal it. My solution to the problem is marine epoxy. Coated all my coils with it and now I have no more problems with coil covers

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
The WOT with epoxy

Attachments

• WOT 2.jpg
    WOT 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 222
OP
OP
Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
I always thought of silicone as a non-conducter, therefore a good insulator. I wouldn't think it would have any effect on your detector at all. Isn't epoxy a silicone based compound? If so, about 80% of your coil is made of epoxy isn't it? I don't know this for a fact, just what I've always thought. Thinking is dangerous. Maybe I should just stick to obscene gestures? M ;) nty

No silicone or silicates in epoxy; though colloidal silica (aka cab-o-sil) is used a thickening agent. They are organic (hydrocarbon) chains. It is a polyester, polyurethane or vinyl ester resin (there are dozens of variations, all still called "epoxy"). Probably what fills the coils is clear epoxy casting resin, the kind used for potting transformers and for sealing IC boards to keep the dust out - and it transfers heat better than air for power transistors.

I was just kind of worried that the "electric insulator" properties of the silicone may block incoming or outgoing signals. Guess electromagnet radiation is like gravity and passes through objects . . . but I'm not sure. Think I'll stick to wiping my coil off and shaking out the cover monthly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread