Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...and what made you who you are?
I thought I would start a thread where we all could tell a little bit about ourselves and post pics that show where we came from.
I grew up in rural Kentucky on the Tennessee border in an area that sits along Lake Cumberland and the Cumberland River. The majority of work and commerce there revolves around agriculture and timber. My family was always very poor, so hard work and the understanding that if you wanted something you had to work and earn it was something passed down through the generations. By the time I was 15, I had bought and paid cash for my first car. That is something I have always been proud of. Nothing ever means as much as something obtained through your labor.
This pic shows my maternal family. My mother sits on my grandpa's lap. He was a farmer and also mason when he had to work away from the small acreages they ever owned. My grandmother stayed home to raise the kids and take care of the housework. I can still remember seeing the headless bodies of freshly killed chickens thrashing about and smell the terrible smell of them being scalded when dunked in the old iron kettle and the boiling water. That smell is something you never forget. The only thing that lasts longer are the morals and pride of providing for one's family through sweat and determination.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1441978799.408111.jpg

I hope you will share your story with me now.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My online self, or my real self? My online self looks like this:
Skippy.png

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My real self:
Military Brat, graduated High School in South Korea. Parent's took on my grandparents as dependents when I was a baby. As a result, my whole life growing up my Dad was paying 2 mortgages and providing a monthly income for two families. That made us poor according to the world. I was ignorant of what "poor" was though, I thought everyone's mom made their clothes, and with 6 kids at our house, we always had the best family activities in the neighborhood. Grew up not knowing how to save, though, as all the money always went to help someone in the family.

Lost my left eye to an accident as a kid (pencil in it). Am blind in it, though I've had a corneal transplant (thanks Lions Club eye bank!), and kept the eye. Makes for really fun Pirate jokes, though. Growing up, I had an eye patch on it through 7th grade, and without depth perception I found it difficult to engage in sports in a meaningful way. In fact, when my kids complain about being picked last, I get to honestly tell them, "at least when they got to you, they didn't stop picking." YEah... that happened a LOT. LOL

That being said, I've lived what I feel is a charmed life. I've been around the world several times in my life, and have visited 20+ countries. I was a school teacher for a few years, and now work for a large Technology firm at a Master Level with Global Responsiblities. I've worked with NASA (as a grant recipient...one of the "educators" they select from each state), flown the Space Shuttle Simulator, talked with dozens of astronauts (including directly on the Space Station), Been on a Hot Air Balloon Crew, Spent 3.5 months total in Shanghai, China over 10 visits (LOVE that place), Practically filled up a passport, have been on 7 cruises, and have spent over a month of in-country time in Israel (last job was awesome).

LOTS of life experiences... I'm an automotive mechanic by hobby, and do pro-bono stuff as often as I can to help folks out financially (Been there, every bit helps). I have an AMAZING wife, who has stood by me through thick and thin, and two great sons.

At 16, I had a water skiing accident where I fractured a vertebrae. 16 years later, we finally figured out the injury had damaged some nerves in Lumbar 4-5 and I'd stopped producing testosterone. At that point, I'd lived through 10 years of suicidal depression, and when I got on hormone replacement therapy, I quickly discovered life was AMAZING... My wife was put through the ringer, though, and like I said, SHE is amazing. We like to joke, though, that I finally finished puberty at 32. LOL

I'm now 40 years old, am SO grateful to be alive, and getting healthier daily. I've had a long list of hobbies, including breeding Malawi Mbuna, model Rocketry, gold prospecting, automotive mechanics, hunting, fishing, and traveling the world. I read about 120 books a year (no joke, a bit more than 2 a week), and love to teach (having taught Kindergarten, 3rd grade, 6th grade, middle school, high school, and most recently I do Senior Seminars for a local University). I'm a certified Lean/Six Sigma Black belt and instructor, as well.

I've also been a missionary for 2 years when I was younger, and love to help people however I can.

And my off-line self is not NEARLY as good looking as my online self (see above).

Cheers,

Skippy

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This family

Pearsall_1890s_photo.jpg

Got together with this family

Bunces_photo.jpg

And I am the result!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know, we just don't take photos in front of our homes like that anymore. People all spaced out and stuff. Nowadays, it's a tight group. I think it has something to do with the fact that the photo actually commemorated the fact the HOME existed. Having a home that was your own was a BIG deal... Especially, for *cough* the homesteaders. For them, I think it was really big.

Very fun photos guys. Thanks for sharing.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have time to sleep, Skippy??:laughing7:
My real self:
Military Brat, graduated High School in South Korea. Parent's took on my grandparents as dependents when I was a baby. As a result, my whole life growing up my Dad was paying 2 mortgages and providing a monthly income for two families. That made us poor according to the world. I was ignorant of what "poor" was though, I thought everyone's mom made their clothes, and with 6 kids at our house, we always had the best family activities in the neighborhood. Grew up not knowing how to save, though, as all the money always went to help someone in the family.

Lost my left eye to an accident as a kid (pencil in it). Am blind in it, though I've had a corneal transplant (thanks Lions Club eye bank!), and kept the eye. Makes for really fun Pirate jokes, though. Growing up, I had an eye patch on it through 7th grade, and without depth perception I found it difficult to engage in sports in a meaningful way. In fact, when my kids complain about being picked last, I get to honestly tell them, "at least when they got to you, they didn't stop picking." YEah... that happened a LOT. LOL

That being said, I've lived what I feel is a charmed life. I've been around the world several times in my life, and have visited 20+ countries. I was a school teacher for a few years, and now work for a large Technology firm at a Master Level with Global Responsiblities. I've worked with NASA (as a grant recipient...one of the "educators" they select from each state), flown the Space Shuttle Simulator, talked with dozens of astronauts (including directly on the Space Station), Been on a Hot Air Balloon Crew, Spent 3.5 months total in Shanghai, China over 10 visits (LOVE that place), Practically filled up a passport, have been on 7 cruises, and have spent over a month of in-country time in Israel (last job was awesome).

LOTS of life experiences... I'm an automotive mechanic by hobby, and do pro-bono stuff as often as I can to help folks out financially (Been there, every bit helps). I have an AMAZING wife, who has stood by me through thick and thin, and two great sons.

At 16, I had a water skiing accident where I fractured a vertebrae. 16 years later, we finally figured out the injury had damaged some nerves in Lumbar 4-5 and I'd stopped producing testosterone. At that point, I'd lived through 10 years of suicidal depression, and when I got on hormone replacement therapy, I quickly discovered life was AMAZING... My wife was put through the ringer, though, and like I said, SHE is amazing. We like to joke, though, that I finally finished puberty at 32. LOL

I'm now 40 years old, am SO grateful to be alive, and getting healthier daily. I've had a long list of hobbies, including breeding Malawi Mbuna, model Rocketry, gold prospecting, automotive mechanics, hunting, fishing, and traveling the world. I read about 120 books a year (no joke, a bit more than 2 a week), and love to teach (having taught Kindergarten, 3rd grade, 6th grade, middle school, high school, and most recently I do Senior Seminars for a local University). I'm a certified Lean/Six Sigma Black belt and instructor, as well.

I've also been a missionary for 2 years when I was younger, and love to help people however I can.

And my off-line self is not NEARLY as good looking as my online self (see above).

Cheers,

Skippy

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My people (on my Dad's side) came to Orygun in the late 1800's from Bolt, West Virginia. They homesteaded at a place called Promise, Oregon. Both of my Great Grandparents are buried on the original homestead, which overlooks the Grande Ronde River. The people back then had a lot of grit.... 003.jpg My Grandfather is on the far left...

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some friends here, and Nitric is one. He has an incredible story.

So just what should I reveal about myself here?

I'm not a pity sort of fellow = I am a SURVIVOR. My father labeled me as a *******, said I wasn't his. Mom and Dad divorced because of me when I was 5. Beginning at age 4, I was given away over and over again. I don't even remember how many people I was sent to live with = 18 different schools before finishing high school. Started working in tobacco fields at age 12. Emancipated at age 15. Hitchhiked to North Carolina, lived on the street for 2 weeks until I lied about my age and got a job in the cotton mills. Worked my way through high school living in a boarding house and joined the army the day after my 18th birthday. Two tours (which actually came out to 17 months) in Vietnam and Cambodia with the 4th Infantry Division as an interpreter - did two language schools studying Vietnamese for 17 months. I still remember the language

The blessing that I had was that as a child, I hid and read everything thing I could get my hands on, from cereal boxes to the max checkout at the library at all times.

If they didn't see me I was safe.

I always knew that education would set me free. I wanted education, didn't stop until '92 with my bachelors. In total I finished 5 degrees & diplomas. The trade diplomas were actually my passport to a career. The liberal education did much of nothing for me except a frame on the wall.

I left nothing behind, I have no real home - though I do claim it as my farm - bought the ancestral farm from my maternal grandmother in '79.

Stumbled into the construction industry and traveled from project to project, have lived in 29 states, 8 nations other than the USA, and been through 44 states.

I've always been a stranger wherever I went, and I was quite used to that = whatever.... You just deal with it, accept it, or change it. Did a whole lot of changing.

Am I a victim? Nope, absolutely not. I'm a pretty adept survivor, and now I am retired with peace, accepting things because I never knew anything else. As a friend I'm faithful. As an enemy I will ignore you - that is unless you do not allow that. Been through that over and over, and I'm still here.

I survive. We all survive - though we've witnessed many left behind. Life happens and we accept it or fail.

I am a Christian by faith, taught to me a long time ago by life itself - many times I prayed when faced with more that I could handle.

Remember, the roll will be called someday and it will be our time to "doff off" (a cotton mill term = I'm not far removed from that).

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These photo's of times gone by have always been useful to me over the years to understand how people function many years ago before modern conveniences. Life style was much different along with what people thought was important. The old photo's showed families, homesteads and group activities. Today it's 'selfies'. Nuff said.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These photo's of times gone buy have always been useful to me over the years to understand how people function many years ago before modern conveniences. Life style was much different along with what people thought was important. The old photo's showed families, homesteads and group activities. Today it's 'selfies'. Nuff said.

I started collecting early 8mm not to long ago, when i find them cheap. It is so cool to see the background,how people were dressed,the houses,items,etc....I like looking at any of the early home films, or films people took on vacation. No sound, but really interesting stuff!!! Pictures too! even though I only have one sitting out. lol

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Dad was born in Oklahoma and Mom was from Illinois. I'm from a family of five brothers and sisters all passed except my twin brother who looks like the ZZ top guitar player.
My immediate family I am a father of two daughters and one son and two grandchildren, both boys!
My Son and Daughters are all successful and I'm proud to say both daughters graduated from USC and my son is a VP of Chase.
I have been married to my awesome patient loving wife for 43 years and hope to make it to 100, lol!
We eloped much to everyone's chagrin but made it together anyway.
I took my grandchildren surfing at Seal Beach the other day and had a blast! One is a great ballplayer and the other one is a scientist!
I love the fact that I've had a chance to live in the garden even when at times it's been less than ideal.
My DNA test came back and lo and behold I'm Scandinvian/Irish so I have Viking in me! No wonder I like to hunt treasures.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I started collecting early 8mm not to long ago, when i find them cheap. It is so cool to see the background,how people were dressed,the houses,items,etc....I like looking at any of the early home films, or films people took on vacation. No sound, but really interesting stuff!!! Pictures too! even though I only have one sitting out. lol

Nitric, you'll find a lot of old home films here:

https://archive.org/details/opensource_movies

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Old Dude, here is my answer to your inquiry:

I never was a child, I never was a little boy!
Didn't have best friends to dream with,
Didn't have a favorite toy!

Work and fight, fight and work
That's all I ever knew.
Eight of us without a Mom
What's a kid to do?

So you know my babies
It's what I had to do
So you could be a child
I gave your mom to you!

Now I play with marbles
and other shiny toys
I fill my night with daydreams
The stuff of little boys. Joseph Patrick McDonough

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad was born in Maine in 1936 and the whole family moved south when he was a young boy because they were broke and needed work. They were hided for Florida but ran out of money in VA. He met my mom in Richmond, got married and took a job in the Shenandoah valley and we've been here every since. Lost mom to cancer in February but dad is doing well. I'm the youngest of three at 49. Have been married for 27 years. I have one daughter who is 23 and is a police officer. I have been in the construction industry since I was 15. I have been a self employed contractor for 23 years and have also made and lost lots of money. Took a while to learn that money is not everything. I think this world is backwards, you should be born old, wise, and rich and grow young, dumb, and poor. I have a great family,friends and a wonderful life. Wouldn't change a thing. I do wish I would have started this hobby sooner, its been good for the soul.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm 6'5", I live in Hollywood
I pose for Calvin Klein and I look damn good
I drive a Maserratti I'm a black belt in karate
and I love a good glass of wine

brad.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
'm 6'5", I live in Hollywood

And then you woke up:laughing9:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 6'5", I live in Hollywood

View attachment 1210228

I know your just being modest! But you forgot about all the super models that your sick of the attention from! Sry for bringing it up. You were probably trying to forget about that problem tonight.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, I don't like to brag

Top Member Reactions