What is this metal object in the ground??

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i was digging a hole, found lots of metal nails and trash and glass.. but about 2 feet down later... i hit "it"... it started with a metal wire (almost like a bucket) then i dug out a little more... and it got solid... its about 50-100 ft away from the nearest house.. so i doubt its a septic tank... Got my dad to take a look at it, he said: What ever it is, its falling apart. He doesn't think its a septic tank either. Based on the depth of it, id say it was buried purposely.. Stuff is coming off of it (ie: nails and other metal parts) but if i beat my shovel down in the hole, theres something solid...

So my question is... What would be 2 feet down, (not sure exact size of it yet) metal and rusted, have nails coming off of it... Only thing i can think of is a chest or time capsule :laughing7: :icon_scratch:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures, or it didn't happen! LOL

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uploadfromtaptalk1442354649390.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442354675597.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

the orange is the object, cant see it yet tbh

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... Stuff is coming off of it (ie: nails and other metal parts) but if i beat my shovel down in the hole, theres something solid.......

I'd say it's large metalic junk/trash, and I'd have long-since moved on to my next target. In fact, I'd have proabably passed such a signal (unless I was cache hunting) in the first place.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe part of an old cast iron stove. They will blow your head phones off.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lord knows until it's dug. I still have an entire horse-drawn cultivator I dug.
IM000740.jpg

Never again.

Before there was curbside garbage collection and municipal dumps there was burning and burying.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an old safe that was stolen from a local bank way back in the day. Thief couldn't get it open so he buried it and planned to come back when it rusted away. That would be my wild guess.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its an old safe that was stolen from a local bank way back in the day. Thief couldn't get it open so he buried it and planned to come back when it rusted away. That would be my wild guess.

very funny..

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ill find out what it is tomorrow, got nothing better to metal detect, pretty thoroughly gone over the nearby lots i have permission for..

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pics and I don't have a clue. I would have dug a bit more though. The iron/metal could be masking something more valuable.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
An old burn barrel.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you describe the wire in more detail?
Is it just one large conductor, or several strands of smaller conductors (each insulated from the others).
Is there any writing legible on the side of the wire? What color is the wire. (If green, or green-yellow stripe, that's usually used for grounding.)
If the wire is insulated (a little hard to tell from the pictures), can you tell what kind of insulation? Rubber? Or plastic like a PVC or Nylon?
Can you tell if the wire is copper, steel or aluminum. (If aluminum, I would wager whatever it is is not very old?)
Is the wire attached to the big metal thing with nails coming off of it?

I also don't know what you meant by "almost like a bucket". What was like a bucket?
Maybe you meant the metal detector made sounds as if the buried object were a bucket??
I'm still a bit new here, so if that's M/D lingo, I just didn't recognize it.

Based on your photos and description, I have no idea what this could be. ???
Maybe somebody buried some building materials?

If you see the phone company or cable company repair truck out there in the next couple days, disavow all knowledge. :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you see the phone company or cable company repair truck out there in the next couple days, disavow all knowledge. :laughing7:

Hadn't even thought of that! We have underground telephone cables even it the sticks where I live. Also, if your submersible well pump stops working.

Good to remember to dial 811 before you dig if you are near the road right-of-way.

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still digging, im like 2 and a half feet down roughly, there was trash and stuff above it, but i still feel something solid... probably going to wait for a friend to help me get it out

OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think im going to abandon this hole, for 1 reason....

I sh** you not... i dug up a dildo....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put it on ebaY as being from the Civil War and someone will buy it. :thumbsup:

(Be sure to call it "RARE" in the description).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread