Another Newbies Story

May 25, 2007
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery Jr.
Another Newbie's Story

Hi all or any who reads this post I've been reading things as a guest but now i am a member. ;D
I was wondering what are some of the best places for newbies like me to begin. I use a bounty hunter discovery Jr
and i have my first big hunt coming up monday. My grandfathers old farm and plantation. I am fueled by some of the things i heard about him. He used to own a store called the hilltop store which was later converted into a club
He also used to moonshine in the olden days and i was told he used to bury the bottles. I think he might have buried more than bottles though. I'm going to talk with older folks ( Aunts & Uncles to see if they remeber the layout of the old farm before things where grown up and try to map them. But so far this is my only hunt). Any Other advice would be Well appreciated.

Thanks Keepa :)

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Re: Another Newbie's Story

It sounds like this place is enough to keep you busy for a very long time! Since you aren't going to be limited on time, you'll be able to go slow and learn your machine too. Good luck and let us see pics of your finds!

vicki

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Seeing as it's private property you can use surveyors flags to mark hits. That way you can detect for a while then dig instead of digging, hunting, digging, hunting etc. Also come back another day if too many. You can get flags at a large home improvement center.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keepa - See if anyone in your family has photos taken of the area during family "get togethers". That may help you out. Hunt around Large, old tree's. In the old days, people used to sit under these for shade and other things. Look for slight depressions in the ground. They may indicate a structure used to be there. And yes, talk to your relatives. They may divulge some secrets. Also, make sure you read the manual that came with your detector. It will tell you how to read your gauge and sounds that your detector makes.

HH, Good Luck and Welcome to TNet.
Keep us updated on the "today's finds" area.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

The first thing I would do is invite me to give you a hand.
Seriously though, sounds like a great place to have just starting out in this hobby.
Take a camera so you can post picks of the place as well as your finds.

HH

OP
OP
Finda the Keepa
May 25, 2007
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery Jr.
Re: Another Newbie's Story Updated

Sorry to keep yall hanging, And i could use the tips yall shared. I'm sad to report though that because of conditions i was not able to effectively dig. The shrubs and wild plum bushes around my grandfathers home were about 5ft tall and the grass was thick the lot looked like it had not been cut in a few years and the only way i could detect there would be to volunteer to cut it :o. Also the area around the old store was horrible my wife & i pulled up several old timey Budweiser cans (the ones with the tear drop hole) & matter of factley i think they didn't have the king of beers logo lol.I was told that there would be holes dug so when they were filled with trash they could just cover them up. So Hopefully if winter thins out the grass and shrubs i can go in easier. Even with this outcome i will not give up i like md'ing, i have images of my first clad 12 cent lol i will attach.

Thanks again Keepa

Attachments

• clad001.jpg
    clad001.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 170

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

You really need to practice up at some easy spots before you can expect to go into a trash infested old overgrown area and make and decent finds. Start out by hunting in the woodchips at elementary schools.its summer and the kids are all gone,now is the perfect time to hit them. After awhile you will be able to tell what you are digging up is most likely to be. You should dig everything at these places so you get an idea of how different objects make your detector respond. When you find something you want to dig work your way around the item and try and determine its size and what sort of signal you get from different directions. The biggest problem that I had with lower end detectors is the false signals. We have a lot of iron in the soil around here and too many times a rock sounds like a coin or there is a great sound and you dig and dig then it vanishes. I always hunt in really trashy areas,but I believe that is where people drop the most stuff. For this reason I wanted a detector that would allow me to hunt in it and make finds. Whichever detector you are using you have to put in the time on it to reap the rewards. Your old hunting spot sounds just wonderful. Once you have some confidence in your abilities and machine and decide to venture back there are a few things I would consider. Instead of cutting all the grass on the whole place instead cut a little area maybe 10x10 and rake it off real good,Im sure you could do this in an hour or less. I would pick a spot close to the old foundation maybe in the back where the path to the outhouse may have ran through as well as the path to the well and maybe the clothesline came through. Or out front where people would have gotten off their horses,carriages,cars and walked up to the house. Now you have a nice clean little area to work would good potential for finds you can dig every signal until its all cleaned out. A great big place like that will take you many years to really hunt properly so dont be overwhelmed by the big picture take it in little bites...Shoot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread