My machine can find a dime at 14 inches, can yours?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The first good detector( late 60's/early 70's) was a Whites Gold Master, Metal/Mineral dial and not much else it seemed, turn the machine onto the mineral setting and it just buzzed like a threshold on todays machines, go over an object and it'd null out. We achieved getting the deep targets, one detecting & two digging like dogs to retrieve the targets at the homesteads and gold mining towns of BC. To know the equipment seems to be the answer, I learn something every time I go out if I open my mind to do so. Now this is owning the machine for 7 yrs or so and it's still a ??? if everything is firing on cylinders, reading a number over a sound is always a poor choice.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading all the input about how deep and how accurate detectors are, I realized that I have been all wrong for the 40 some odd years I have been detecting. I always put too much faith in the numbers and digital reading of my machines. I took it for granted that unless a dime or quarter or whatever signal came up on the screen, then it was probably junk. I now realize that some coins can give junk indications when they are deep or close to other junk. I will be digging anything questionable from now on. I can only imagine what I may have left behind over the years. I put this to the test this afternoon when I went back over a location that I thought I had all cleaned out. I concentrated around a large maple tree and its roots and started digging iffy signals. I did manage to dig up a number of nails and other iron junk, but suddenly got a pull tab reading from under a large root and started digging. The pull tab turned out to be a 1934 Washington quarter. I will post this and several other coins on Todays Finds later on this evening. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Thank you for the discussion contained in this forum.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading all the input about how deep and how accurate detectors are, I realized that I have been all wrong for the 40 some odd years I have been detecting. I always put too much faith in the numbers and digital reading of my machines. I took it for granted that unless a dime or quarter or whatever signal came up on the screen, then it was probably junk. I now realize that some coins can give junk indications when they are deep or close to other junk. I will be digging anything questionable from now on. I can only imagine what I may have left behind over the years. I put this to the test this afternoon when I went back over a location that I thought I had all cleaned out. I concentrated around a large maple tree and its roots and started digging iffy signals. I did manage to dig up a number of nails and other iron junk, but suddenly got a pull tab reading from under a large root and started digging. The pull tab turned out to be a 1934 Washington quarter. I will post this and several other coins on Todays Finds later on this evening. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Thank you for the discussion contained in this forum.
There ya go, now you got it. :occasion14:

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The above post is the exact impression I wanted to convey in starting this thread. There are deep coins out there, many of them. Just don't think your detector is going to easily find them. Many times your machine will tell you it's there, we just don't trust it or don't know what the machine is trying to tell us. Deep coins DO NOT sound or ID like a shallow coin does.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The above post is the exact impression I wanted to convey in starting this thread. There are deep coins out there, many of them. Just don't think your detector is going to easily find them. Many times your machine will tell you it's there, we just don't trust it or don't know what the machine is trying to tell us. Deep coins DO NOT sound or ID like a shallow coin does.

That's good to know, thank you for starting this thread.

So what advice would you give us newbies about what to listen for when looking for coins that are deep? Are you listening for repeatability in at least one direction? is that the technique? or is it a sound that alternates between iron and coins? I'm never sure which of the deep signals to dig and which to leave. I usually end up digging deep cans, lol. Any insight or advice would be helpful to those of us without a detecting buddy/mentor.

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's good to know, thank you for starting this thread.

So what advice would you give us newbies about what to listen for when looking for coins that are deep? Are you listening for repeatability in at least one direction? is that the technique? or is it a sound that alternates between iron and coins? I'm never sure which of the deep signals to dig and which to leave. I usually end up digging deep cans, lol. Any insight or advice would be helpful to those of us without a detecting buddy/mentor.
Your welcome. For me sound and screen mean nothing when talking coins over 10". Let me explain. You're walking around, swinging and you get a slight high tone (remember your programmed to listen for high tones). You stop and check it out. Now you get all sorts of diff sounds if any at all from all angles or only one angle, and the screen is bouncing all over the place. So now you pinpoint, you get a nice tight pinpoint and the screen tells you it's at max depth. Dig it, period!

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And don't get me started on concentric vs dd coils for those deep coins. Whole diff animal altogether:BangHead:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thread....there's something called signal degradation....don't know if it came up on the thread or not.

Simple explanation is as the target is deeper in the ground the machine won't be able to give an accurate id....so if it's deep dig it and you might have a few surprises.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thread....there's something called signal degradation....don't know if it came up on the thread or not.

Simple explanation is as the target is deeper in the ground the machine won't be able to give an accurate id....so if it's deep dig it and you might have a few surprises.

Regards + HH

Bill
What he said!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MrMike,

Another issue that comes into play is when hunting trash infested sites unless you strip out all the shallow targets both good and bad no machine can pick up the deeper signals.

So if it's a site with some age it's probably worth the effort to dig all the signals down to the 4"/5" range to give yourself a chance at the deeper older ones farther down.....I wouldn't bother with that approach at a newer site though probably not worth the effort.

Regards + HH

Bill

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig whisper targets all the time with my MXT, so yes there are whisper targets and you need a good set of headphones to hear them good. Many will be passed up if your using cheap headphones. HH

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MrMike,

Another issue that comes into play is when hunting trash infested sites unless you strip out all the shallow targets both good and bad no machine can pick up the deeper signals.

So if it's a site with some age it's probably worth the effort to dig all the signals down to the 4"/5" range to give yourself a chance at the deeper older ones farther down.....I wouldn't bother with that approach at a newer site though probably not worth the effort.

Regards + HH

Bill
Wouldn't it be nice to have a detector that can detect coins under trash:thumbsup:

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig whisper targets all the time with my MXT, so yes there are whisper targets and you need a good set of headphones to hear them good. Many will be passed up if your using cheap headphones. HH
Take away that screen and you basically have an analog machine, hence the whisper.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MrMike,

Yeah but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon...lol...

I had an old school yard circa 1920 which was loaded with targets both good and bad....it took me several years to strip out the shallow finds at least I got a fair amount of clad for my efforts....eventually it gave up 6 or 8 LCs, some nice old toys and relics and a silver ring along with 3 gold rings and a pendant.

Most people didn't have the patience to strip out the junk to get at the deeper keepers....food for thought.

Regards + HH

Bill

Wouldn't it be nice to have a detector that can detect coins under trash:thumbsup:

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MrMike,

Yeah but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon...lol...

I had an old school yard circa 1920 which was loaded with targets both good and bad....it took me several years to strip out the shallow finds at least I got a fair amount of clad for my efforts....eventually it gave up 6 or 8 LCs, some nice old toys and relics and a silver ring along with 3 gold rings and a pendant.

Most people didn't have the patience to strip out the junk to get at the deeper keepers....food for thought.

Regards + HH

Bill
That's not food for thought, it's an entire 5 course meal!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is so funny to me... I dig coins under trash every time I go out...

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
masterjedi,

I believe you can find some of the deeper targets amongst the junk but odds are good lots of other keepers are hiding/hidden by that junk also regardless of the machines we use.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
MrMikeJackie

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is so funny to me... I dig coins under trash every time I go out...
C'mon, don't talk about you're detector like that. I hear Fishers are great machines:laughing7:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My E-Trac sounded off on a penny, after pin-pointing it - the depth read approx. 6 feet deep. I brought in my backhoe and dug it, too bad it was a Lincoln!!!!

Remember TN rules - Do not question the truthfulness of peoples finds!!! :laughing7:

backhoe-digs2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread