Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings ! Some months ago I was going through some bookshelves of my parents , and I came across a small
booklet with a lot of history of a small mining town in Colorado . Glancing through it I noticed a rather
detailed description of an old swimming hole , that had been used from the 1880's - through the 1950's
after which it was drained - and hopefully forgotten about . I was able to determine it's exact location,
did a fly over on Google Maps - and began building a lot of dreams around going there and pulling many
later Victorian period coins , and probably some jewelry too - not to mention numerous Barbers , Mercs,
and last but not least .. My First Indian Head Cent ! Fast forward to Sept. 14th 2015 , My Father and I
arrive in the old town , check into our motel and without further delay I head out to the location of the
swimming hole . Upon arriving at the location - what do I see ? Yup .. Fenced off with a prominent
PRIVATE PROPERTY, NO TRESPASSING ! Needless to say I was bummed - I will admit that for a few
seconds I actually thought seriously about trespassing, and hunting it anyway - I am happy to say that
I came to my senses and did no such thing . (A year ago I made the horrible decision of trespassing -
it cost me dearly ! as well it should have) I think what I take away from this disappointment is that I
will not allow my hopes dreams and expectations of an area to get that far out in front of my knowledge
of it . I'd be curious to hear some of your "dashed hunting dream" stories too !

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up that easy. Find out who owns it, go see them, explain that you are researching the history, offer him the finds or pick of. He might be a nice guy who has just had a lot of issues with trespassers or liability issues. You never know. Would be worth a phone call at least.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You raise a good point ! I suppose this is public information through tax records or something . I think I felt so dismayed during
the brief time we were in that area, that I didn't have the fire in the belly to pursue it at that point . This place isn't going anywhere - so
perhaps next year when we get up there ,I'll look into trying to find out who owns it .

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you made the right decision.
You could always try to track down the property owner and get permission.
Also, in Google Earth (Earth, not maps), there is the "StreetView" guy.
You "might" have been able to see the "No Trespassing" signs if the property were near enough to a road that Google had driven.
This feature may also be available in Google Maps, but I personally don't use that program very much.

My apologies if you already knew about the StreetView capabilities.
A lot of people don't.

That said, how bad can Colorado be?
Lots of gold in them there hills? (Or silver, at least).
Better luck next time!!

I've got my eye on a tiny (yet hopefully promising) speck of public land out west that I really hope doesn't replicate your experience!
But I guess you never know until you get there.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , I did actually try to get really close with the street view feature but this place was up in the hills - with some nearby trails but,
not quite close enough to the roads to get the "streetview guy " to land anywhere - and I was unable to get the close up resolution
with Google Maps to see any fencing or private property signs . I may try to track down the owner/s next year - but I will plan
some other hunts in the area . The swimming hole location is certainly not the only place where the Victorians hung out , relaxed ,
had picnics , and lost coins etc. With regard to your "speck of land out West " the only advice I can offer is - do not build
your hopes into an obsession the way I did - I was literally dreaming about this location for months in advance !

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't give up that easy. Find out who owns it, go see them, explain that you are researching the history, offer him the finds or pick of. He might be a nice guy who has just had a lot of issues with trespassers or liability issues. You never know. Would be worth a phone call at least.

Fully agree, it only takes a few moments of ones time to find out and explain what's up with your inquiry. It's just a sign and it might have been posted up as an requirement of the insurance company. We have had to post our property but that excludes the folks that I give permission to be on the land. Good luck with on the next road trip.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you ! It seems like in the litigious age in which we live, that many people may be concerned about liability , but I also am
battling my own discomfort with asking permission (rejection) I should suck it up and ask ! One thing is sure- I'll have a close
relationship with this area /town for as long as I live - It's one of my favorite places on earth .

( I also know some long time residents of the area - perhaps one or other of them could serve as an "icebreaker"
for me in this situation ).

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Earth Street View. Very handy resource for looking at propertys.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me I , As I mentioned previously I was all over street view ! but the location was not close enough to a real road to allow
street view .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread