Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Red Book" A Guide Book of US coins is a must. It's printed annually. Very good for reference purposes. Just understand that quoted coin prices are full blown retail (if not more).

Ebay or Amazon is a very efficient way to buy coin reference guides, as well as other books.

TCK

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older ones are cheaper (usually) and you can get the latest values off the internet. I never buy a current book; but then I focus on pre '64 US coins.

One that REALLY helps is a good coin grading guide. I have an old line drawing guide that shows the key areas of the various (US) coins and I find it a lot better than a photo guide.

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look up coins etc on the internet, you don't need a book

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do my best to stay current with annual publications, Red Book, etc.
I really enjoy old coin books ��.
For current pricing, I pay subscription fees for the CDN. (Coin Dealer Newsletter).
GL
Peace ✌

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look up coins etc on the internet, you don't need a book

Some people prefer a book over a bright screen. The internet is not and will never be a replacement for a book.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best resource is the Standard Catalog of World Coins. These books have over 2,000 pages. Every country is listed from A to Z with photos and listings. Book has pictures of just about every coin minted the last 200 years. It been a great research tool for those weird foreign coins we occasionally find. I used this book on many coins I have dug that I just could not identify. A few years ago I dug a silver coin that appeared to be from one of the Asian countries. After flipping through the pages the book had an identical picture of the coin I found. The silver coin was from China, it was dated from the 1890's. This book has been used many times over the years. I bought mine used at a coin shop for $10.00. New they are a little pricey, I believe the are $50.00 + new. Try to find a used one.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's big! Kind of like the New York City Phone Book!

Attachments

• Coin Book 001.JPG
    Coin Book 001.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Coin Book 002.JPG
    Coin Book 002.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 56

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people prefer a book over a bright screen. The internet is not and will never be a replacement for a book.

Agreed, I find it easier to go to bed after reading a book than reading a bright screen. A bright screen does two things, gives me a headache and overstimulates me making it harder to go to sleep.

The Redbook (A Guide to United States Coins) is a must have for a coin collector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread