rechargable batteries

dlvasil

Jan 10, 2007
ravenna, ohio
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250
when i return home from detecting i normally put the rechargable batteries back in the charger but my know it all brother in law spent 20 minutes explaining to me that batteries have a "memory" and should be fully depleted before charging. he says that by placing them on charge before they are spent that they will form a memory and that they will actually be only half charged. i would welcome any feedback.
thanx
david
ravenna,ohio

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Brother in law May know what he's talking about.

it Depends on what type of Recharbles you are using.

Nicads get a Memory.

the Recharble for my Sovereign Will get a Memory.

Attachments

• !#!LastScan.jpg
    !#!LastScan.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 205

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon
Yes your brother is right indeed , because on numerous occasions i have put my ni-cads on charge after using them and after awhile they would only last a few hours so i asked around and sure enough after talkin with people that work in a factory that biulds batteries they confirmed it.

OP
OP
dlvasil

dlvasil

Jan 10, 2007
ravenna, ohio
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250
#@*&%! ANYWAY! I was planning on appying to ABC's ExtremeHome Makeover and my hard luck story was that my brother in law was born without a brain!
thanx for the input
david
ravenna,ohio

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
it depends on the type of battery, my Sovereign Elite came with NiMh type battery an you can recharge it any time.I always go hunting with a full charge an have been using this battery for 1 1/2 years an I can stilll hunt for over 10 hours straight no problems. I also bought Ni Mh batterys for my PI PRO an always charge then just before I go out on a hunt...Ni Mh have no memory, so check an see waht type you have.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
seas1to2 said:
it depends on the type of battery, my Sovereign Elite came with NiMh type battery an you can recharge it any time.I always go hunting with a full charge an have been using this battery for 1 1/2 years an I can stilll hunt for over 10 hours straight no problems. I also bought Ni Mh batterys for my PI PRO an always charge then just before I go out on a hunt...Ni Mh have no memory, so check an see waht type you have.

Yep, only nicad batteries develop a "memory". nimh and lithium batteries don't. Try to find replacemet batteries in one of those forms to avoid recharging problems.

John

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
One thing I learned the hard way about rechargeable batteries is that they have a shelf life. Once they are charged, their "clock" starts ticking. Li-Ion batteries have a usable life of around 3
years from the time of manufacture - regardless of how often used or charged. NiMH batteries must always be stored fully charged and then recharged after 180 days at the latest. This is because NiMH batteries slowly discharge over this period and the battery may be damaged if stored in a discharged state for a long period of time.

So don't do like I did and "Stock up."

Daryl

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
A good NiCad battery charger has a discharge mode that discharges batteries before it charges them. Remote Control cars utilize chargers that do this, hobbytown USA or towerhobbies dot com has them. Most applications now a days use Lithium Ion batteries.

Most people use NmH batteries in the RC racing. I was into 1/10 scale off-road RC Racing and I used NmH batteries because they worked best for short frequent burst of full power as needed to operate the servos used in RC racing.

I think the typical metal detector uses a voltage regulator to regulate a constant draw of volts. We might put two 9 volts batteries in our metal detector, equaling 18 volts or 9 volts depending on how the machine is wired, parallel or series.

But due the voltage regulator that most machines use, it might only utilize 7 volts to operate (not 18 or 9). For example:
If the machine was regulated for 7 volt operation we would only notice a dip in performance when the batteries are depleted below 7 volts.

I would only use batteries that the manual recommend.

HH

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My XLT came with a rechargeable NiCad battery pack. Problem is that the machine runs well only above 9 volts. Below 9 it starts acting funny so I would recharge the pack at that point but never thought about discharging it completely. Well, it's active life kept getting shorter and shorter until finally I just tossed it in the closet and started using AA throwaways. I'm now a firm believer in totally discharging NiCads before recharging.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions