Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jail time for "looters" ... Gotta be honest when TH'ing ... anywhere

Girlfriend of former U.S. treasure hunter gets one month in jail
BY MARY WISNIEWSKI
The girlfriend of a former treasure hunter was sentenced to one month in jail on Friday, months after the couple was captured with hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash they had received for loot recovered from a shipwreck, prosecutors said.

Alison Antekeier, 47, and Thomas "Tommy" G. Thompson, 63, both formerly of Columbus, Ohio, were captured in Florida. They have agreed to forfeit $425,380 in cash seized from them when they were caught, prosecutors said.

Antekeier was sentenced at U.S. District Court in Columbus, Ohio. She and Thompson both pleaded guilty to criminal contempt charges.

Thompson's company, Columbus Exploration, confirmed in 1988 that it had found a ship that sank in the 19th Century. It subsequently brought up gold coins and bars worth millions, and members of Thompson's team accused him of failing to pay them.

Antekeier was sentenced to a total of five months, including two months of house arrest and two months credit for time served, according to Assistant U.S. Doug Squires. Thompson will be sentenced on Oct. 29 in Columbus, and could face up to two years in prison, one year of supervised release and a $250,000 fine.

Thompson skipped an August 2012 U.S. District Court hearing to account for the location of gold coins and some funds.

Arrest warrants were issued for both Thompson and Antekeier, his then assistant and now girlfriend, who failed to appear as a witness in the civil case in November 2012, prosecutors said.

Authorities did not track them down until late January when they were found at a Hilton Hotel. They had been living there under assumed names and paying living expenses with cash.

They were later extradited to Ohio, and both pleaded guilty to criminal contempt.

"Thompson and Antekeier were very sophisticated in avoiding capture and had access to nearly unlimited funds, enabling them to stay completely off the radar for years," U.S. Marshal Peter Tobin said in a statement.

More than 400 people drowned in the 1857 wreck of the SS Central America, which was carrying as much as 21 tons of gold from California mines. It sank off the coast of South Carolina.

Thompson and Antekeier also agreed to help authorities identify anyone who assisted them while they were fugitives and to help identify assets in the civil case.

(This story has been corrected in paragraph 5 after prosecutor's office changed sentence to two months of house arrest and two months time served from four months credit for time served)

(Editing by David Gregorio)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed... that you need to be honest if you involve others toward a possible treasure and then just disappear if it's found. That is wrong. But... if some laymen like myself found a couple of bags of gold coins somehow I wouldn't be honest at all.... if honest meant sharing it all with others.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed... that you need to be honest if you involve others toward a possible treasure and then just disappear if it's found. That is wrong. But... if some laymen like myself found a couple of bags of gold coins somehow I wouldn't be honest at all.... if honest meant sharing it all with others.

I have to agree. If the find is Obviously much Older then any of the Losers could actually Be.
it should be Finders Keepers .
example: since no one person from the 19th. century is still alive,
anyone other then the finder claiming a 19th Century Shipwreck, Better have proof they
Financed the search or revovery imo

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Interesting news link tiger-beetle. Thanx for posting.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Interesting link.
I just wish folks in Ohio were more trustworthy, especially the ones in S.W.Ohio.
Peace ✌

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Interesting link.
I just wish folks in Ohio were more trustworthy, especially the ones in S.W.Ohio.
Peace ✌

Even though I don't live there That seems to be a bit assuming imo.
I'm sure S.W. Ohio doesn't have a particular Draw on people who are less Trustworthy :tongue3:
perhaps the State Capitol on weekdays, along with every State Capitol Complex,
And D.c. are over populated with the untrustworthy . but what is in S.W. Ohio
to draw them in ?

Last edited:

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the people in Ohio are honest as long as they live North of I70..wink wink...or so I have been told :) Go Browns

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So they forfeited the cash, and got a few months in jail for the millions of gold recovered? Did they recover it all? Where there others involved in the recovery and they also got a lions share of the gold? I remember reading about the arrest but can't remember when it was or the link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread