Simple but effective diy metal detector circuit

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
the days of "building one's own detector" ended in the 1960's with BFO kits. Today's detectors (even the cheapies) are so much more refined/sophisticated (computerized exact spec's, windings, etc....) that no one "in their garage" is going to have any ability to do better than what they could simply buy.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely has not ended. There is a thriving community that still builds their own detectors and coils, it is just not very popular here on this forum. By far the most popular DIY detector is a Surf PI kit from Silverdogs. Works on wet salty beaches...so there is that. I am no expert on them so I will let Google be your friend on this one.

Search - Surf PI
Search - Silverdogs

There are other kits available there as well.

I will agree 100% that a DIY detector will never match or beat a name brand one from a factory. IMO it is not worth the time/effort/cost...but some people are into tinkering and building stuff. Best of luck with it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a fellow on the Canadian forum that is always building a machine, then detects with them. Builds them from the coil up and posts all the stages, he does some really nice looking sets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread