How do you keep count?

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I have noticed that some people post the coins they fund by stating the dollar amount found such as $1.95 in clad. Others stat their finds by the number of coins found, such as xx quarters, xx dimes, xx nickels and xx pennies. Sometimes it is a combination of the two. Then there are others that keep a total count of the number of coins they have found for a given time period. For instance XXX number of coins for 2006. Others keep a running total. Such as the number of coins found since they started detecting.

Personally, I just go for the count for the current year. This year I am counting my finds every two months. At the end of the year will be the Grand Total for the year and I will start over next year.

Second part of the question is what do u do with all your clad? I clean it and use some of it locally for tolls, the newspaper etc.. the rest I go to coinmaster and cash it in. How about you? What do you do with yours?

Thanks in advacne for your input.

Ray S :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any interest in keeping count until I cash it in and then I get the total amount rather than the number of coins. I keep track of my finds by photographing it all and putting it on file, but I hardly ever photograph clad. I don't know why it's not important to me but I see several members set a goal for X number of coins per outing. Maybe it's because I tend to just take what comes and not specifically look for coins? But if I found a hundred silver coins you can bet I'd post it! Monty

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm am like Monty in this coin counting thing. I used to keep records of what I found and where, etc. but the record keeping got in the way of detecting. I used to keep little tags on my gold rings too so I'd remember where and when they were found. I don't anymore as that isn't important to me as much as just enjoying the time I get to hunt.

Now I wonder what I am going to do with all them 5 gallon buckets in the garage with barrettes, pull tabs, etc.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I clean 'em, roll 'em, combine 'em with all the other coins (rolled) we've accumulated over the year and take it all to the bank (in the sit down & take a number section) and we deposit the lot along with some cash into an IRA. Usually not overjoyed to see us, but we've never been refused.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
I'm am like Monty in this coin counting thing. I used to keep records of what I found and where, etc. but the record keeping got in the way of detecting. I used to keep little tags on my gold rings too so I'd remember where and when they were found. I don't anymore as that isn't important to me as much as just enjoying the time I get to hunt.

Now I wonder what I am going to do with all them 5 gallon buckets in the garage with barrettes, pull tabs, etc.

Ditto, don't have time to "count".
Clean it, turn it into the bank, take home
the bills.

all have a good un.........
SHERMANVILLE

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I never have tried to keep count. Always felt it defeated the purpose.
I don't hunt for a score ... It is a recreational thing.

I think Monty said it best, and yes I most certainly would share a specacular cache of silver or other with a thread on TN. but otherwise

it all goes in a coffee can to be sorted by the grandkids.

Old Dog

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
For me the reason for counting is simple...I count coins and total amount per year..why? because I like to know how the different hunts compare and what to expect from an area when I return. I can set my detector up say to reject a certain pulltab or only accept certain items...the luxury of having a dfx... Also setting goals helps me stay interested. My numbers have nothing to do with anyone who has more or less than me. I am not in a race and hope everyone finds as much as they can. I keep logs of everything and there are very simple coin counting programs available for free that do it for you in a couple of seconds even with percentages! So if that is to much for some that is there choice...I like to know what and how I am doing... ;)

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I stopped counting my coins, it seems like I don't have enough discipline or time to do that right now, but I would like to.

Man DFX-Greg, at that rate you would have paid for your machine in one year. Not to highjack this thread. But how long did it take you to learn the DFX?
Thanks

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ant said:
I stopped counting my coins, it seems like I don't have enough discipline or time to do that right now, but I would like to.

Man DFX-Greg, at that rate you would have paid for your machine in one year. Not to highjack this thread. But how long did it take you to learn the DFX?
Thanks

Believe me I am out there digging 3x a week! Blister on my inner right thumb to prove it! :) What i do is find the most successful users on each forum for the dfx. I talk with them about each situation and ask for their expert advice. I have received tremendous help and could not have done it without continuously asking for more help. I got my dfx last November and hunted through the extreme cold of winter. That made the hunting now seem fun! I even hunted while it was snowing a few times! Tried frozen ground did not work! I am still learning though but do not deal with the ones that gave up or never go out and detect..that helps a ton! :)

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I never have and never will keep count. I find them, put the clad in the coffee can and good stuff in my treasure chest. When I get enough clad saved up, I clean it and run it through the Coin Star machine at my credit union (only costs 4% because I am a member). Then I stick the money in the glove compartment of the car in case of emergencies. Counting and keeping track takes too much time and I don't have it.

Cal

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Ant said:
I stopped counting my coins, it seems like I don't have enough discipline or time to do that right now...

Me too... don't count and don't hardly care any more...

When it was all new I did for a hot minute, then realized it didn't matter to me. This is totally opposite from my father who cataloged everything about the hunt from what, where, how deep, soil conditions, temps, humidity, and on & on & on &... in a ledger he prolly still has from the early 70s.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure glad you're not BHGregg. You would have been crucified by now! ;) M :D nty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread