Treasure hunters around the four corner area

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SCOTT420,

Good luck with that. I know several people that have been living in and around Aztec for quite a while looking for that 17 tons of gold. They have also found the first real clues I have ever heard of being found (gold bars wrapped in oilcloth and red canvas). I also have a binder five inches thick of magazine and newspaper articles, the complete investigation by Unsolved Mysteries, and a crap-ton of FOIA Documents from the FBI and Treasury Dept.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can also say that whatever gold was flown there by Red in 1933 was moved in the early 1950s. Somewhere South of the Aztec Area.

Mike

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Why would someone move a vast treasure and then abandon it? Or was it converted to something
useful benefiting the parties involved? And lastly why would someone suppose it is available to
a modern treasure hunter? Is this really how to strike it rich?

There are real hidden caches out there but the big ticket hoards are few and demand first hand
knowledge to access. Naturally knowing is not the same as recovering. Ethical issues must be
resolved to assure confidentiality. And sometimes years pass before a recovery can be done
without opening yourself to unintended consequences.

BTW Mike is a serious hunter and I doubt he would advertise his intentions.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Why would someone move a vast treasure and then abandon it? ........

What ? Are you trying to imply that treasure legend lores are possibly NOT there ? Silly embellished camp fires stories gone awry ? On the contrary: "17 tons of gold" treasures are EVERYWHERE. If you have any doubt, just pick up any of the old 1960s/70s treasure mag's, and they were packed plum full of them. Ie.: lost mines, stolen bank loot, military payrolls, etc... etc.... If it's in print, it MUST be true ! :)

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ? Are you trying to imply that treasure legend lores are possibly NOT there ? Silly embellished camp fires stories gone awry ? On the contrary: "17 tons of gold" treasures are EVERYWHERE. If you have any doubt, just pick up any of the old 1960s/70s treasure mag's, and they were packed plum full of them. Ie.: lost mines, stolen bank loot, military payrolls, etc... etc.... If it's in print, it MUST be true ! :)

Yeah. The 17 Tons Story is just all made up. I guess that's why after the Grand Jury Trial regarding that story, that several sitting members of that very same Grand Jury moved to the four corners area to look for the treasure? I doubt it was ever abandoned. It was flown to a hand made runway just North of Farmington on a ranch there, looks like it started on 11 May 1933 and ended in February of 1937(see pic). The story states that after rounding up all their gold, the Mexicans hired out to fly the gold to the US. It took a few years to bring all the gold over the border. The Grand Jury Trial was in 1952. When the Grand Jury Investigators started nosing around (in about 1950-1951), the caretaker of the ranch dug up the gold one truckload at a time and moved it somewhere South. As of the mid 1990s, the potholes on the ranch could still be seen. The caretaker was interviewed in about 1986 just before he died.

ShiprockNM1a.jpg

TriPilot1a.jpg

This is the man that flew the gold from Mexico to the ranch North of Farmington. His name was Red Mosher. Bill Elliott was always a Red Herring as far as I know.

Now, am I saying that all or most treasure stories are true? No way. But, if you look deep enough, you can usually tell if there is some truth behind the story.

Mike

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Mike, so too did all those treasure lore stories from the old magazines have all sorts of great little evidence tid-bits. Throw in a few faded newspaper clippings, and a drawing of a miner posed next to his burro, and , by golly, it must be true.

Sorry for my kill-joy doubting Thomas feelings, but ...... If I had a dollar for every sure-fire treasure story I've heard, I'd never need to detect again. People who find out your into detecting, will usually have one . Especially when you talk to persons coming from certain 3rd world countries, where certain treasures lurk in every cave (just need a detector that goes 30 meters deep, of course).

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries with the kill-joy attitude. HAHAHA When I hear a story I have never heard before, I get it as well, until I do a bit of research to see if it has any teeth. What you say about third world countries is absolutely true. Also, treasure stories in Mexico and Central America have a lot more to do with the paranormal than treasure stories in the US. A lot more spirits and curses.

Some people think that I believe every treasure story out there. Its just that I don't usually comment on the ones that are either too far away from me or that I have found evidence to prove its not true. About as far away as I get is Sonora, Mexico to about Northern New Mexico.

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite theory as to where the name William "Wild Bill" Elliott came from is:

William Wild Bill  Elliott.jpeg

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce y'all to William "Wild Bill" Elliott. He was an action hero cowboy in 217 films from 1925 until 1957.

Enjoy - Mike

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Wasn't he the one that wrote "16 Tons > and what'll you get . . another day older and deeper in
debt." If I tried to load 17 Tons all I would get is another back surgery.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Wasn't he the one that wrote "16 Tons > and what'll you get . . another day older and deeper in
debt." .......

Ahhh, but what you don't understand: Is that that old song was a lead to the treasure! It's a conspiracy theory. Cleverly hidden into pop music lyrics. Sssshhh, don't tell anyone !

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, but what you don't understand: Is that that old song was a lead to the treasure! It's a conspiracy theory. Cleverly hidden into pop music lyrics. Sssshhh, don't tell anyone !

What secret? If you take the time and effort to help someone load 16 tons of something, all you will get is another day older and deeper in debt (maybe because you missed work that day to help load the 16 tons of whatever)?

Mike

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I can give another piece of this. The information is several years old, and the gold was moved from there in about 1950-1951.

The place where Red Mosher landed his trimotor was the property of John D. Harris, which was on Conger Mesa, North of Farmington.

Mike

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. The 17 Tons Story is just all made up. I guess that's why after the Grand Jury Trial regarding that story, that several sitting members of that very same Grand Jury moved to the four corners area to look for the treasure? I doubt it was ever abandoned. It was flown to a hand made runway just North of Farmington on a ranch there, looks like it started on 11 May 1933 and ended in February of 1937(see pic). The story states that after rounding up all their gold, the Mexicans hired out to fly the gold to the US. It took a few years to bring all the gold over the border. The Grand Jury Trial was in 1952. When the Grand Jury Investigators started nosing around (in about 1950-1951), the caretaker of the ranch dug up the gold one truckload at a time and moved it somewhere South. As of the mid 1990s, the potholes on the ranch could still be seen. The caretaker was interviewed in about 1986 just before he died.

View attachment 1221281

View attachment 1221282

This is the man that flew the gold from Mexico to the ranch North of Farmington. His name was Red Mosher. Bill Elliott was always a Red Herring as far as I know.

Now, am I saying that all or most treasure stories are true? No way. But, if you look deep enough, you can usually tell if there is some truth behind the story.

Mike

Pardon me, but, what is a 'Grand Jury Trial'???

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should give you a general idea.

17 Tons Gold_Page_1.jpg

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread