site potential?

shelly10

May 29, 2007
I'm new to the business. Has anyone ever swept the area around Kanesville, IA. My GGF
left there for the CA goldfields on May 23, 1849 via wagon train. I am not familiar with
the area but with as many wagontrains who assembled there I would think it would be an
area rich with artifacts and relics. Wish all happy hunting in the area around the
Missouri River there.

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That probably would be a great place to hunt Shelly10. I've seen on TV out of the way areas where the ruts from the wagon trains are still there. Obviously never been disturbed. :o Would love to be let loose there ;D

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Take a look at the area with Google Earth. You may very well be able to find the old trails from the photos. It all depends on the time of year, time of day, when they were taken. If you can spot the trails, you can get GPS coordinates from Google Earth and you are all set.

Daryl

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think it has great potential. I know that The Mormons established there winter camp their along the Pioneer Trail (as well as across the river in Omaha,NE)

Attachments

• emmigrants at Kanesville.jpg
    emmigrants at Kanesville.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 209

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Lots of people have claimed to have found Gold coins at Stagecoach stops.

I know of one member that is a research expert and he know gobs of information on how to find a stagecoach stop. He goes by the name of, Old California.

I do believe Paul has even has published books.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
gypsyheart said:
I think it has great potential. I know that The Mormons established thier winter camp there along the Pioneer Trail (as well as across the river in Omaha,NE)

That's not all Gypsy! The entire Councel Bluffs area is super rich in lore and history as it was the start for many (read most) folks comming to the west (Fort Benton, MT) via riverboat! All the stores (supplies), people, and equipment from soldiers and civilians alike! Lewis and Clark held Indian councils there in the bluffs above the river... it was a danged railroad hub for all points west as well!

Welcome to TreasureNet shelly10! Let us know how the treasure hunting goes!

Check it out... http://iagenweb.org/pottawattamie/hist-pottawattamie.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions