Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I'm sitting on a potential goldmine as I'm renting part of a farmhouse that was built in 1780 and I have full access to detect the property. The problem is, it's one of the trashiest places I've ever detected. I've pulled 10-12 objects 12" by 12" hole. I'm learning the ropes with my new AT Gold, but this property has turned my detector into an expensive random number generator. I've been running on higher sensitivity to try and get to the deeper targets. Can anyone offer any tips for dealing with a trashy area?

Thanks,

Will

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use the smallest coil available in the trashy areas. Use the larger coil in less trashy areas.

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I second the smaller coil. Also turn down the sensitivity and work in layers. Good luck. You might want to also screen some of the areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandskimmer

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright. I tried screening, as the soil is nice. It's just immensely time consuming. Also the variety of "hits" I get in a single swing is mind boggling. A lot of that seems to be because of the round rings or discs of steel and scrap that ring up as higher values. What does decreasing the sensitivity accomplish? Thanks!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging at a homestead site that has been active for 235 yrs is going to be trashy no matter what detector been used it's a process of elimination and learning a machine in a high trash area isn't the best way of going about it. Screening is an option and you stating a 12" x 12" produced 10-12 objects isn't uncommon for a trashy site, what were the items recovered BTW?
I have found that when in the really trashy sites are best way is to hit from the outside in-meaning detect till you run out of signals and find the outer limits of the site then work it going towards the heaviest target area. This way you can cherry pick (we all love to do this) the best signals out as the iron and trash is limited. You can get a feel for what the site will offer and you won't get over whelmed by all the signals.
I remember buying a Explorer SE in FL, read up on the detector, practised air testing of different items, felt that I understood the machine a bit and ventured out to a beach. I started in the grassy areas around the parking lot, it went crazy, I couldn't believe the overwhelming amount of signals assaulting my hearing. I shut the machine off and walked down to the waters edge turned it back on and started over-peace and quiet, a target here and there and a much more manageable hunt. This goes for every site that's overloaded, I walk through it going to the outer limit seeing what size the area is, then start working back in, is it best way? Not sure, but it helps break the insane amount of signals that come from the trashy centre.
It's kind of like driving a fast car it starts at 0 MPH and goes up from there to ??? MPH it's up to you where the comfort level is in the ride.

There's a great chance that the site holds many keepers but you may have to work them out one signal at a time, you're going to be living there for a while so enjoy the journey as it's on the doorstep and you can go at it for 5 minutes or 5 hrs as it doesn't cost anything.

OP
OP
Sandskimmer

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips guys. Pepper, I think I just need to break down and make a large screen as most of the "good" targets keep showing up in the trashiest areas, not really sure how much of it is real signals since I can never seem to hit them repeatedly. I've tried a little what you suggest and started at the outskirts of the property where it's not such an assault on my ears, still keep getting fooled by old aluminum and iron links etc. Haven't found anything good yet except an old plated spoon handle, but I will keep chipping away. Unfortunately, I'm moving within a month so I'm trying to make the best use of my time.
Btw I attached a picture of what I pulled out of one hole last night. Mix of old and new, almost entirely old scrap. About 50% is iron nails or parts of nails. Those can be a real bugger to clear out of the hole since they tend to fragment. It takes a while to hunt them down even with a pinpointer.
IMG_20151012_175631489.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread