What does everyone think about ISIS Destroying Ancient sites & Relics.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering ..
I know this has happened all through History, like The Christians during the Crusades , The Spanish in South & Central America, Even what the Europeans ,Did to Native Americans & their Stuff.

I can understand "One shall not Worship a Graven Image". but IMO Me can make "Idols" out of anything . Dollar Bill's (Hundred's I mean) lol or Drugs, or Another Person?

Just a waste of history, Next they will blow up the Pyramids.
Well like I said ,This is the way It has always been.

I can tell we use only a Small portion of our Brains.:BangHead:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Davers, what you're saying sounds reasonable. And "rolls off the tongue". I mean, doh, who would EVER say it's dandy to "destroy ancient sites and relics" ? No one, of course. However, the devil is in the details: The minute we agree to that premise, then what's to stop that same logic from applying to stuff we find md'ing ?

Sure as heck, someone will define "relic" as being a 51 + yr. old coin or item. That you have I have "destroyed" (stolen, looted, etc...). And then presto, no more md'ing allowed anywhere. :icon_scratch:

Hence, I'm ALL FOR THE DESTRUCTION AND PILLAGING OF RELICS AND HISTORIC SITES. Doh! (modern coins bore me)

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers, what you're saying sounds reasonable. And "rolls off the tongue". I mean, doh, who would EVER say it's dandy to "destroy ancient sites and relics" ? No one, of course. However, the devil is in the details: The minute we agree to that premise, then what's to stop that same logic from applying to stuff we find md'ing ?

Sure as heck, someone will define "relic" as being a 51 + yr. old coin or item. That you have I have "destroyed" (stolen, looted, etc...). And then presto, no more md'ing allowed anywhere. :icon_scratch:

Hence, I'm ALL FOR THE DESTRUCTION AND PILLAGING OF RELICS AND HISTORIC SITES. Doh! (modern coins bore me)

OK Tom ..
I kinda get your point.
My minds all over the place right now.(I have not taken my Anxiety med's yet / Trying to see how long it takes me to have a Seizure.) Or just how Dependent I really am , but that's another Story.:dontknow:

I guess nothing is to stop the same logic of Defining a 51 y/o relic as being Sacred or Important to the people of the Earth's Cultural Heritage. Just Common Sense.

Heck I consider the Cutting down of 100+ year old trees as the loss of something 'Important'
Esp,When there is PLENTY of Crappy Buildings that could be torn down to build the same Neighborhood.

Plus I hear you need a permit to destroy such Items ie, the permit being an AK-47 , RPG, & A group of people who think like you.
Also at-least when an item is Stolen ,it still exists, & not blown up into rubble forever.
FWIW-I like having those old Relics/Sites around, Even if the rock in my yard predates them by Millions of years.:icon_scratch::thumbsup:
Crazy Davers

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not agree with all cultures of the past or present's beliefs or rituals,customs ect..
No reason to erase their works of structure or artifacts though.

Always a different view going to surface, even many at once and killing those worldwide who differ is understood as a goal for certain factions; but how realistic a goal is it?

History is so often altered by "the victors" in an attempt to produce their version of the truth, that truth becomes propaganda with no supporting evidence.
So it is happening again.

Why not use existing historical places and relics in the current propaganda and still have something for future tourists to gawk at?
Easier to show them something old and mysterious and take their money, than offer a pile of rubble to view.

A country's history has to go back somewhere.
Unless erasing all human memory, how can no past exist even if no longer tangible or visible?

Not unlike the U.S. debating over a flag or a statue huh?

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is sad! Its part of their agenda to strip all history and identity of a people and at the same time aquire wealth to fuel their continuing onslaut upon innocent people by aggression. Don't want to debate any religious aspects here, there seems to be enough about that everyware!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Davers,

You got the question out in a great manner - bringing up the historical precedents. And so many more that you didn't mention - the Roman destruction of the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem in 70 AD; "leave no two stones standing". The Pope Theodosis calling for the burning of the Library of Alexandria in 391 AD (probably the worst loss of history ever), all the looted Egyptian sites and the peeling of the Great Pyramids for structural stone, the Norse sacking the Catholic Churches in Britain. US shelling and leveling of the abbey of Monte Cassino in 1943. The Taliban destroying the Buddhist statues at Bamiyan.

Humans just don't care about other people's beliefs or historical sites. ISIS is bad news because they are doing it just out of intolerance with no strategic advantage to be gained. If not a war crime it is a crime against history. What a tragic loss. I understand the Great Pyramids and Sphinx are on their "must go" list.

Whatever happened to that neutron bomb we supposedly had near ready that destroyed people and not structures? Sounds like we have a good test region.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still p*ssed about French soldiers shooting the nose off the Sphinx.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers,

You got the question out in a great manner - bringing up the historical precedents. And so many more that you didn't mention - the Roman destruction of the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem in 70 AD; "leave no two stones standing". The Pope Theodosis calling for the burning of the Library of Alexandria in 391 AD (probably the worst loss of history ever), all the looted Egyptian sites and the peeling of the Great Pyramids for structural stone, the Norse sacking the Catholic Churches in Britain. US shelling and leveling of the abbey of Monte Cassino in 1943. The Taliban destroying the Buddhist statues at Bamiyan.

Humans just don't care about other people's beliefs or historical sites. ISIS is bad news because they are doing it just out of intolerance with no strategic advantage to be gained. If not a war crime it is a crime against history. What a tragic loss. I understand the Great Pyramids and Sphinx are on their "must go" list.

Whatever happened to that neutron bomb we supposedly had near ready that destroyed people and not structures? Sounds like we have a good test region.

Yea Charlie P.
I gonna site other examples but unlike you I would have Gotten the Names of Places, People, & the Time lines wrong + 30 min on 'spellcheck' . Def, wanted to point out the Library of Alexandria 's Torching.

IMO Their just a bunch of Thugs with weapons & the run through (like a bunch of Looters Here in the US) the Cities they Occupy .

All this get's too deep for discussion ( Or PC) & As for that Neutron Bomb , I guess a Dirty bomb would work but that would Spoil the Land for way to long. We need a Virus (if it ever could be contained) that would Kill only People ,Roaches, & Rat's.
Or Dare I say Some sort of "Passover Event".
In the End none of this will really matter anyway , I Suppose.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still p*ssed about French soldiers shooting the nose off the Sphinx.

I here that was now a Myth. but if it happened I,m pissed still to. lol

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I scratch them pretty bad with my digger.

Don't get me started of 'Striking what I'm digging with the shovel.
I have MANY items Buried for Re-Patina.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tiburciovasquez

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think iraq and Syria should have their artifacts temporarily moved. The significance of these sites are beyond enormous as their thought to be one of the birthplaces of humanity. Luckily enough, Palmyra the roman settlement in the Syrian desert wasn't completely destroyed and I think we need a country to send a secret military expedition into Syria to take what's left and then bring it back after the war.
Just my opinion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread