how many times a week

kakcsdad

Feb 5, 2007
cantonment, florida (pensacola)
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT stock and 5.3 coil
just out of curiosity how many times a week do you think you need to get out and hunt to find something of substantial value????
i am only able to get out maybe once a week and although i do manage to get some clad thats about all i ever get (besides pull tabs)..
is it mostly luck?!
where i live it seems the whole area in the city is off limits to metal detecting..the only way to detect there is with the owners permission and you better have a note from them on you or you can get a ticket.(this is what some of my city cop friends tell me)and that sucks...
i am in pensacola fl and any help in things i can do to help would be great....

thanks for reading

HH

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my forth year and I have yet to find anything of substantial value. From April to October I get out about three times a week on my lunchbreal for just under an hour, plus the occasional weekend and weeknight hunts. Lots of clad, some silver a few cheap gold rings. I don't think I've ever found an item I could sell for more than $50, no coin more than $15.

Mostly I do it to impress the ladies. ;)

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If you live in Pensacola, the beach is available all the time. Have you detected the beach? Santa Rosa Island looks promising. I hunt Okaloosa Island and the Destin beaches all the time and do well. Of course you are not going to find anything old on these beaches but a ring is pretty substantial and pretty possible as well. Also it is perfectly legal to hunt the beaches.

Cal

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Not trying to make a wisecrack here, but the answer is.......The next time you go out is the time that you can find something of value. That being said, luck alone determines what you will run your coil over. With a few exceptions, most of us started out wondering when we would find that first item of value. Most eventually did in one form or another. It depends on what you consider to be substantial value. Some of us have a different perspective as to the definition of value. Some are interested in monetary value, while others value the historical or sentimental aspects of their items. We all have varied interests within the hobby, as you can see here on this site. Things will happen when you least expect it, so just have fun doing what you have been doing.

If you do need a "permission slip" from landowners, there are some that have already been drawn up and I'm sure someone here can steer you to one that will work for you. I have seen them on-line and in magazines, but I can't remember exactly where!

Good luck!!.............HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started I too wondered if I would ever find something of value. I realized I was doing what I liked to do best and wasn't happy till I was just looking somewhere. It didn't matter where. Some hunters count how many coins they get in a certain period, others the rings, while still others count the babes they pick up. We're all babe magnets you know.

The more you hunt, the more chances you have of finding the big one. Even if you could hunt 24 hours a day, you'd make more money with a job. Finding cash is not what the whole thing is about. Just do it and have fun. The big one may show up when you least expect it. As was mentioned, the beach is where your chances of finding a nice ring are high. After the gold ring, you are looking for the gold bar.......... :D

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a lot of valuable items found by beginners on their first or second trip out....mainly because they are learning their machine and are digging all targets rather than trusting what the tone or I.D. meter is telling them.
Any trip could be the million dollar ticket but since I started detecting full time you can't beat being able to go out at a moments notice because either the beach has stripped or an old house is being pulled down and the site cleared or just a field has been ploughed.
When you are limited to fitting your detecting round a job then you miss out on so many opportunities. Weekend comes and the chance has gone.

R

RUDY2003

I get out about 3 to 4 times a week and the first thing of value I find is relaxation then peace and quiet, not to mention that I find a gold ring Every Time, just before i dig the hole!!!! "ANTICIPATION" is Value to me.....
Keep safe...

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I agree with the "What a person considers to be of value". Some things have an obvious monetary value, like let's say a hefty gold ring or a ring with a good diamond. In my case and I'm only using it as an example, I'd be alot happier walking away with a silver quarter and two mercs than say a $200 ring someone dropped. I've come home with silver rings worth more than a silver coin and the empty feeling of not having hit some silver was still there. With that said, frequency in detecting I am sure increases your chances of finding any type of item, but I don't believe there is a set formula. It's all about being in the right place. Detecting more often can eventually land you in the right place, or for instance, we can detect 1000 times a year and not be in that right place, defeating odds, and this is where the element of luck comes into play.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me, value is irrelevant in this hobby. Yes, I would like to find gold and silver rings and braclets everytime I go out, but I don't. They are out there, because I found a 14K gold mens ring when I stopped at alocal park for a quick "fix" of MDing. Some is luck, some is research. All in all, it's just getting out and enjoying nature. I'm off to my Uncles house tomorrow that sit on 2+ acres of land in the country. There is an abandoned railroad that is a border line for his property that was built in the late 1800's. He also tore down the "homestead" house that was on the property that was built early in the 20th century that I will be detecting as well. So, I will be out enjoying nature, and if something of value comes up then so be it.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I have a rule...3 x a week...3 hours a hunt...I do break my rules once in a while! ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I spend most of the winter in Wisconsin and we are frozen solid for about 6 months.As soon as spring thaw is here I am out every day till freeze up again. I dont care if its a half hour hunt I try to do it everyday. I carry my detector in the truck so there is no missed opportunity. I spend the winter researching so that summer is spent hunting those new sites.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself, I get out about 3 times a week, 4 if I am lucky. (2-3 times to parks, 1-2 to beach) I learned three things quickly.

1. Walking the beaches at night with the sounds of the surf, the stars, and the cool breeze is the best stress release there is. Hunting anywhere is a close second.

2. If I don't put my coil over a target I want find anything of value no matter how hard I look.

3. If I don't go hunting I am 100 % guaranteed to not find anything of value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread