What Keeps People Away From Metal Detecting?

What do you think keeps most people away from this hobby? What kept you from getting started?

• It's a dirty job and I don't like to get dirty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • People are going to stare or make fun (Shyness)

• I'll never be able to learn how to use those detectors

• Lack of time

• Total voters

la9

Mar 25, 2007
Cause a suit of full body armour is expensive.

Cause of all the law suits you will incur.

Cause of all the jail time.

Dealing drugs is safer according to some of the posts I've been reading lately.

I thought I'd meet some nice old retired people metal detecting and some other nice people out looking to have fun.

All I've seen around here is a bunch of gun toting maniacs on both sides of the law.

I'm thinking about selling my detector and finding a hobby that has friendlier people involved in it.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
la9 - Did you ever go hunt the property you posted about way back? The one that stirred all the controversy about trespassing and gun-toting?

Either way, through permission or sneaking... did you find anything there?

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
la9 said:
All I've seen around here is a bunch of gun toting maniacs on both sides of the law.

Put a holster on yor MD, and go dig some coins !!!!

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I think what keeps people away is the dress code. Not everyone looks as stunning as I do in knee high black socks, white leather dress shoes and a speedo. :O)

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
funny when i started mding i got my friend to get out too. everytime someone walked by he would look ashamed, and turn red...... that wussy, RIP JR :'(

kool007

Jan 2, 2004
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nokta Makro Simplex
Minelab Excalibur w/S12
First is knowledge.

I knew a little about metal detectors, but I never thought of getting one. I wish I had started way earlier knowing what I have learned now. Something like that.

I'm 37 now. When I was 16, my little neice got a metal detector for selling some cups in a school thingy.

I kept that little metal detector since she got it. It was hers, but I had it.

I never used it except that first day sho got it.

Then I turn thirty-ish, and one day at teh beach, drinking beer, I pull out the detector and start detecting around the area we were sitting. I find an AVON ring. We get home, the machine stays in the garage.

A few weeks later, back at the beach. We went to wally-world, and I see the bounty hunter machines. I ask my wife to get me one, and bam, now the bug bites me. I found nothing but pull-tabs with that machine. I had it about a month. More pull-tabs.

We go on an Archeological survey, and I let my daughter use it, and she find a bullet. I try it for a little while, and wow! another pull-tab.

I have used many many machines since then. Now I am a happy camper.

I lived in Germany for 3 years. Can you imagine the finds, if I would have been in the hobby back then? I guess the other reason for net getting a metal detector sooner was because of just starting out, and that it's not a neccessity.

laterz

ed

V

vwshepherd

I have to say it is pretty much the lack of interest in my area. Well, I guess that really isn't fair to say, but no one seems to be doing it around here (southeastern KY). I have only recently picked up a serious interest in starting, because of stumbling over a jar of Indian heads around an old house that had fallen in, and I'm pretty sure no one had lived in for at least the last 50 years, probably longer.

I'm having a hard time finding folks who are interested in the hobby around here. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy some type of detector in the next month or so. Hopefully with the lack of interest I will be able to find some nice finds of some sort.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well committment to family was the primary reason I put it off. My wife doesn't like me being away from the house at ALL. So every time I go it is like a major ordeal!! So we have finally gotten an agreement and I get one evening a week to myself and maybe two if the kids don't have too much going on. I try to sneak out on the weekends but when you watch two kids, one two and the other eight you don't get a lot of detecting in. Three weeks ago my two year old fell and split his head open and had to have it stapled and of course it was the detectors fault that he decided to try and stand on a swinging chain! We were standing right next to him and down he went, nothing we could have done about it but still. I guess that is the main reason I am so driven to find "good" spots to go to when I do get to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread