What Keeps People Away From Metal Detecting?

What do you think keeps most people away from this hobby? What kept you from getting started?

• It's a dirty job and I don't like to get dirty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • People are going to stare or make fun (Shyness)

• I'll never be able to learn how to use those detectors

• Lack of time

• Total voters

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Nothing kept me starting. I bought a radio shack detector and when that wouldn't pick things up very well I bought a Fisher 1220. It wasn't top of the line but respectable and more in my budget. I just bought what I could afford at the time and upgraded when I felt I could. It far easier to get into the hobby today with great low-end detectors available like the ACE 250 and some of the Tesoros available.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In large areas of the U.K. now its impossible to get on land. There's big money to be made and thousands detecting. One farmer I spoke to last year had seven different people turning up over one weekend wanting to detect his fields. If you owned land would you want strangers tramping over it ?
Many make arrangements with an individual or a club to have access to the land. All others are barred. The next stage is more join a club in the hope of getting access to good sites. The clubs then have to restrict membership as it puts off landowners if forty or fifty turn up in the farmyard on a Sunday morning.
The less honest become 'nighthawks' and work any field that looks promising in the middle of the night risking prosecution and almost guaranteeing that no one will ever get on that ground again legally when the farmer spots that his newly rolled field now looks like the surface of the moon.
Word goes round and the reputation of all detector users is ruined and the hobby gets regarded as rather unsavoury.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many are interested in detecting, but there is really not much in the way of stores where knowledgeable staff can share know how. People aren't exposed to it much unless they see someone doing it on a beach or park. The cost of detectors keeps some away or they buy the cheap jobbies and become discouraged at the junk they find. Some are ashamed to tell friends about their hobby till they find a nice ring too.

I knew one guy that wouldn't buy a Western & Eastern Treasures magazine because he said it would take away from his "profit." What a Maroon!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What keeps me from metal detecting is bad people skills. I don,t like asking for permission to hunt other peoples property. I cannot go up to a perfect stranger and ask them for permission to detect. I know I was a real shy kid, but now I don,t think I am now. I am a technical rep. and salesman in electronics by trade. I deal with all types of people all day. But the thought of being one no one with property owner does not thrill me. I am pretty sure it is all in my head, I take "NO" way too personal. By the way once I get talking I can go for an hour, its just getting started.

Ed D.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people I talk to can't understand why I put so much effort into finding pennies and nickels. 95,000 cents to be able to find 5,000 cents or so per year is a 19 year payback. Not to mention digging holes in the hot sun in order to find a bit of change. They say I'd have to find 25¢/minute to justify the effort.

I think it has to be a calling. It's not a financial decision.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pure entertainment and a way to pass some time away from the tube. I have no expectations other than enjoying the outdoors and exploring new places. If I find a penny...I consider it a bonus.

There is, however, a part of my psyche that hears a certain tone and says...hey, this could be the big one. It rarely is, but what the H*ll.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Lets face it...I don't care what people say it can be tiring and i often end up with sore stiff shoulders, back and so on. Also I think some people just do not realize digging and pinpointing takes a little time and effort. Also i thing if you are going to detect get yourself a half decent detector and get out there...if you don't hunt obviously your finds are>>>0 ::)

Jonesin

Apr 1, 2007
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Just reached a point in my life that I have some time to do what I want (a long time comming, he-he). I MD'd when I was a kid ( it had a hand crank on the side to get it started) My kids thought I lost my mind when they found out.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I agree Charlie P. ! It was a natural calling for me. It started for me when I was about 10, when I eyeballed a byzantine coin and dug up a crusaders grave. That was in 1967. It wasn't until 1974 that my first summer job earned me my first detector. I had always seen the adds in the comic books and popular mechanics, and just knew that someday I would have one. I have always been a history buff and that may be true for the majority of detectorists, though I'm sure some of us became history buffs as a result of detecting. Either way, detecting has contributed greatly to an increased knowledge of history by not only the hunter, but their families and friends as well.

The other type of hunter is one I call the "Detectourist". A tourist is one who visits but doesn't stay. The possibility of wealth or the romanticism of this hobby attracts the detectourist, but the natural drive may be lacking.

My biggest problem lately has been time. Oh well!............HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd say time more than the others. There are those that think about it but don't follow through because they're in their own little world trying to make a living and do all the things their life entails. A lot of them put it off, probably thinking they'll pick up the hobby after they retire.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screw them all, I LOVE THIS STUFF!!

Can I say Screw ? Oh well I did. (Sorry if it offends anyone. No harm intended.)
Keep @ it and HH!!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Can I say Screw ? Oh well I did. (Sorry if it offends anyone. No harm intended.)

Of course you can say screw, but I think you'll find "nail" to be a far more common find.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
The same thing that keep people from fishing, camping, hunting, football, knitting, boating, skydiving, running, weight lifting, sewing, and whatever else...

They simply don't give a damn about the hobby.

CoinSniper

May 28, 2006
Nashua, NH
For me, I won't detect private land/government property without having written permission from the owner/property manager and that takes time, but could be worth the trouble.

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
I voted for 'other' because I think it is not a hobby that is not easy to find out about. Some stores may have a dectector or 2 but the sales people are not knowledgable about them. The stores devoted to MD'ing are few and far between and casual shoppers would not stop there.

Personally, I have always loved history and finally asked DH for a MD at Christmas. I gave him no info because I didn't research at the time. He walked to Radio Shack, bought a decent model and that was that. After I tried it the first time I was hooked. 6 weeks later I upgraded because I knew I had found a hobby that was not just a passing phase. My 15 year old son thought I was geeky - mom in her knee pads and headphones stealing money from children (I usually hunt tot-lots). This past weekend we went on a group hunt with our Virginia group and he was hooked!!! Now I need to buy another ACE250 for him!

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
CoinSniper said:
For me, I won't detect private land/government property without having written permission from the owner/property manager and that takes time, but could be worth the trouble.

Did I miss something here ??? Was this part of the question ???

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I just threaten people at gunpoint not to pick up an MD, that way, I have all the yummy spots to myself. Oh, you meant voluntarily ?? Who knows, it's a great pasttime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread