Any Killer B headphone users????

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Depending on what machine you use, headphones can be a BIG deal for whether you hear weak whispers, or don't. And how well you can discern TID tones, or not. If you're using a simple beep and dig monotone machine, then you don't need high fidelity top-end headphones.

And don't be fooled into getting expensive top end MUSIC LOVERS audio-file headphones. Because the big-seller desire for THOSE people is BASS. Md'rs are not concerned about the 'boom-boom" drum beat bass sounds that music lovers tend to want/need. We want the HIGH end notes to sound super crisp. Not low end notes.

For many years now, it has been the common mantra that has circulated on all md'ing hobbyist forums, is that Grey Ghost and Killer B's (amongst others) are the cat's meow for headphones. But Grey ghost seems to have gone downhill . Talk to anyone who had a pair from 5+ yrs. ago, and used them on demanding tone-machines like Explorers, and then see what they think about the LATEST grey-ghosts that you buy off-the-shelf now. And the quality went downhill. Same for Koss: The same exact models of 10 or so years ago, are NOT putting out the same quality as now.

Reason supposedly is: that the makers switched to less expensive internal components (from China?) as the years progressed, thus their sound is not what it used to be. DESPITE being the same exact model #, brand, etc...

I've looked long and hard into the matter, after being stung with a bad pair of Koss and Grey Ghosts. And supposedly killer B's have not gone this route. Am ordering a pair now, as my last hope, as I need a spare for my current killer B's, which I love.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I LOVE Killer B's!! They are well made and tough, and are even great with my "simple beep and dig monotone machine," because they are so sensitive that they help me determine the signal strength and pattern (solid; crackle; breaking up; etc.). Buy them with confidence.

OP
OP
mtsheron

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My machine is a Nokta Fors CoRe so it will be the machine I buy for.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My machine is a Nokta Fors CoRe so it will be the machine I buy for.

Ahhh, well that's a shame, but you'll LOVE the Killer B's! Buy American!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Killer B's (Hornet) and Jolly Rogers. I like the Jolly Rogers for being light and more full sound. The Killer B's are much strong and louder tones.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I use Killer B's Stinger. It only has a earphone on one side leaving the other ear uncovered. I absolutely love it and don't think I could use anything else at this point.

OP
OP
mtsheron

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is all good to hear about the B's! I have ordered the Wasp Optima model. Had a coupon to use and got them for $105 delivered. Hopefully they will be the perfect set.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done.
I avoid headphones �� if possible.
I understand the possibility of missing a whisper, maybe, but not having the aggravation of headphones is worth it.
I now use an XP Deus, exclusively, with the lightweight WS4 wireless headphones. Better, but still avoid 'em if I can.
On another note, Tom in CA mentioned Koss audio headphones. Koss was a highly desired headphone in the late 70s n 80s.
They absolutely suck now!? Even the Koss models that are included with new Minelab ETRacs are garbage.
What a shame.
Maybe we, as metal detectorists, should appeal to Dr.Dre and have him design a set of headphones that concentrate on high tones rather than low. A highly advanced tweeter would be a beginning.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
mtsheron

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wooo Hooo, checked tracking and they should be at my door on Monday!

OP
OP
mtsheron

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Killer B Wasp came in and only tested them real quick but the tones are very good and the outside noise is very minimal. To say the least, I love them. They feel great to the ears and the pressure is perfect without being too tight. I think this will be a great relationship.

KB.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
The real kicker is everyone sees a audio difference from one set to the other but 90% of the after market metal detecting headphones use the same speakers.. The Audio Sears 2463's...

2463 Hearing Aid Compatible 150 Ohm Earphone#

Killer Bees, Black Widows, Sunray Pro Golds, Greg Ghost, Jolly Rodgers .. and the list goes on..

OP
OP
mtsheron

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The real kicker is everyone sees a audio difference from one set to the other but 90% of the after market metal detecting headphones use the same speakers.. The Audio Sears 2463's...

2463 Hearing Aid Compatible 150 Ohm Earphone#

Killer Bees, Black Widows, Sunray Pro Golds, Greg Ghost, Jolly Rodgers .. and the list goes on..

Could that be the depth of the ear cups and maybe the cushioning that affects just how much outside sound is blocked out????

I had the GG wireless that I used with my Deus and they were absolutely wonderful for faint noises. The Killer B's feel even better to my head and ears and if they are the same in this aspect then I think it will yield better results for me.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Could that be the depth of the ear cups and maybe the cushioning that affects just how much outside sound is blocked out????

I had the GG wireless that I used with my Deus and they were absolutely wonderful for faint noises. The Killer B's feel even better to my head and ears and if they are the same in this aspect then I think it will yield better results for me.

No doubt the DB rating of the ear muffs will affect the faints but the audio tones are still the same. If you really want to add some comfort and little less ambient noise down the road once the warranty on the KB's has expired try these...

HEADSETS INC D200 GEL EAR SEALS from Aircraft Spruce

They come in many different styles and sizes, none fit perfect and may have to be glued with Aquaseal but once you have used them you will never look back..

11-06496.jpg

Last edited:

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just checked with B & B Distributors, LLC and John Smith advised that all of his headphones (so that would include the Killer B Wasp Optima model.) have leather muffs.

According to the B & B Distributors ad on the Internet, vinyl muffs have a life expectancy of (3) years and then the material begins to harden, showing cracks, tears and dents (vinyl memory) and some of it's ambient noise blocking ability is lost.

I'm using one of Rick Viola's headphones from his very first production run (last name may not be spelled correct...going on memory. :wink:). I believe he called them Rat phones Max. Not sure if the muffs are vinyl or some other man-made material, but the material did crack, even though I regularly wiped it off with a warm/damp paper towel and dried after every use for the first few years. I tried to make contact with him at that time, to see if he would replace the muffs, but his website had gone off the Internet !

I'm still using my Rat phones Max headphones with the cracked muff material. Due to failing health, I don't get out to hunt much, so making do. However, I'm thinking about buying Killer B Wasp Optima's when funds are available. Sorry I didn't buy those in the first place ! :censored:

ToddB64

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I just checked with B & B Distributors, LLC and John Smith advised that all of his headphones (so that would include the Killer B Wasp Optima model.) have leather muffs.

According to the B & B Distributors ad on the Internet, vinyl muffs have a life expectancy of (3) years and then the material begins to harden, showing cracks, tears and dents (vinyl memory) and some of it's ambient noise blocking ability is lost.

I'm using one of Rick Viola's headphones from his very first production run (last name may not be spelled correct...going on memory. :wink:). I believe he called them Rat phones Max. Not sure if the muffs are vinyl or some other man-made material, but the material did crack, even though I regularly wiped it off with a warm/damp paper towel and dried after every use for the first few years. I tried to make contact with him at that time, to see if he would replace the muffs, but his website had gone off the Internet !

I'm still using my Rat phones Max headphones with the cracked muff material. Due to failing health, I don't get out to hunt much, so making do. However, I'm thinking about buying Killer B Wasp Optima's when funds are available. Sorry I didn't buy those in the first place ! :censored:

ToddB64

Rick stopped about 3 years ago I believe, not sure why but he knew his stuff..

You may not like the Killer bees if you have the Rat Phones, the Rats were one of the few that used different speakers..they used the Kobitones, which had a much lower range ..frequency

I did several videos on different speakers with the Minelab Excalibur looking for a good set to water proof, Ended up using the AudioSears ..As you can see there is a great difference in Both.

Kobitones

Audiosears

Last edited:

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OBN........Thanks much for the information in your post #17 !

ToddB64

Curbdog

Feb 1, 2012
North Mid,TN
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer, Quest Q20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pray you DON'T have to use the warranty on Killer B headphones!!! I talked to the owner of the company himself and it did not go well.

I had a 6 month old set of Stingers. One day putting them on my narrow head and the yoke snapped. No extra stress, they just snapped. Thought I've heard they were good so I called on the warranty. The owner picked up. After explaining what happened, the owner explained that ANY breakage was the owner's fault and a new yoke was $30!!

Are you kidding me?! I got them fixed, traded them in, and have run with DetectorPro ever since. The muffs hold up a heck of a lot better as they don't degrade with sweat. I treated the KillerB muffs with leather conditioner and they still started stiffening/cracking.

Friends don't let friends run with KillerBs.

OP
OP
mtsheron

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have heard mostly great things about them. I guess it all depends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions