Should I change my detector?

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thairiam, I would throw out one question. How much money do you want to invest into the sport to get going and see if you like it? You have already seen several people on here that started less expensive and then went to more expensive machines. Now what you didn't read yet, (because there not on here) is the people that invested in the sport and did not like it, and feel they are out that money on trying it.
I would point out that we all started somewhere, and there is no harm or shame starting small. Many on here will tell you this and I am one of the many, but "performance is where you find it." It doesn't matter what machine you have or get if you do not understand it or learn it right, it will not perform to its full potential. The Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II is a good machine with a smaller learning curve. Its not lacking much in feature set from some other higher priced machines.
Just food for thought.
Welcome to the sport!! Good luck!!

Curbdog

Feb 1, 2012
North Mid,TN
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer, Quest Q20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would go for the Tesoro Compadre as well. The disc. on it, even with no screen, is better than the BH. The resale value is better. The warranty is better than anything that isn't Tesoro. ALL for the same price as what you paid.

So I'll ask you one more time. Why isn't a Compadre in your arsenal?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The disc. on it, even with no screen, is better than the BH.

I will disagree with that. The disc and notch setting on the SS2 works flawlessly. I can notch out any target from....foil...5c...alum(tabs)...scaps....zinc....and leave the other 4. No notch on the Compadre.

SS2 even has auto-notch to eliminate...tabs...scaps...foil...and leave nickels and zinc. Pretty nifty and it works a treat.

So really the Compadre lacks when it comes to disc and notch features comparatively.

The resale value is better. The warranty is better than anything that isn't Tesoro. ALL for the same price as what you paid.

Agree 100% there. It will also hit a nickel deeper than a quarter...something the SS2 will not.

So I'll ask you one more time. Why isn't a Compadre in your arsenal?

No notch...no auto notch...no ground grab in all metal...no LCD (I happen to love displays)...bare bones basics...only thing it hits better than a SS2 would be nickels. I could probably make the list longer....

I like the Compadre and respect all Tesoro machines...but when it comes to beginner machines...other machines the same price do the same thing just as good (or in many cases better) than a Compadre.

If you are dead set on getting a different machine.....my advice would be to trade up....not sideways (or down). Get something in the $250-350 range...Land Ranger Pro...Cibola....Treasure Pro....F44....etc etc. Those would all be a "moderate" upgrade yet still be easy enough to learn.

As always...just my opinion.

Curbdog

Feb 1, 2012
North Mid,TN
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer, Quest Q20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nobody I know really uses notch as a viable feature. Look at how many detectors do not have notch as a feature. To each his own and detector manufacturers, I believe, reflect those trends.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody I know really uses notch as a viable feature. Look at how many detectors do not have notch as a feature. To each his own and detector manufacturers, I believe, reflect those trends.

Nobody you know hunts a trashy park with notch? They just disc out everything or dig everything? No thanks...not for my valueable time.

First Texas (3 companies)...Whites....Garrett...Minelab....Tesoro.....all have machines with notch for a reason. It works and people want it. Also...every single new detector hitting the market lately has notch....so you are right in saying the manufacturers reflect those trends. I can guarantee the new Tesoro will have it....in 2020 or whenever it arrives.

Personally...I will never go backwards to a detector that does not have a notch setting unless I am prospecting. As you say....to each their own. :occasion14:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

I decided to try my luck at metal detecting last month. The idea of getting outdoors and maybe finding a buffalo nickle or old penny now and then appeals to me.

I saw a sale on the "Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II" for $150.00 including a pinpointer, headphones, carry case and even a little digger. Reviews seemed pretty good overall for an entry level machine so I decided to buy one. At the store, as I often do, I got overenthused and bought two! (One for my wife.) I've taken it out once to a local park and quickly proved to myself that I don't have the slightest idea what I'm doing! It's not the machine's fault. I'll read my instructions more carefully next time.

Anyway, I still have one MD still in the box and I'm wondering now if I should consider returning it and getting something different like the Garrett Ace 250 for a bit more money. That unit seems to have a lot of good reviews.

I'd appreciate your opinions. Are they both about equal in ability? Is the variety in machines a good idea.

Thanks,
Rich L.

You could try something different, but keep one of the SSII. If you are having a hard time understanding the information the SSII is giving you, the Tesoro Compadre will be even harder to master. One single tone beep, then thumbing the disc to figure out what the beep is, is harder to master than a display giving conductivity possibilities and three tone ID. I'm not knocking Tesoro's, they are the deepest machines in the hands of the experienced, which you aren't. The Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro, Garrett Ace 250/350 are great inexpensive machines to learn on that aid a lot in information of discovery, until you have a greater understanding of metal detecting.

battles

Sep 16, 2015
Tx
Detector(s) used
Gamma 6000, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really believe that you can't go wrong with the teknetics delta for$138 (at Walmart.com).It normally cost between $250-$270 and is very easy to use.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree battles. I didn't know the Delta "could" be sold by WalMart as it is a MAP for B&M dealers. Maybe a dealer could chime in, but if WalMart is selling the Delta at $138, that beats anything I previously mentioned. Plus all those Greek coils. Maybe WalMart is selling the first generation Delta with plug in coils.:dontknow:

Curbdog

Feb 1, 2012
North Mid,TN
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer, Quest Q20
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah, I see where the difference in opinion lies. I used to do the "focus on park hunting" and I would do the cherry-picking, analyzing the signals, all for times sake. Then I moved into mainly,relic hunting.

I found in relic-hunting that I used less disc and in the end I believe I found more. Many things that I would've skipped over, if I had either notched or disc'd out something.

In that sense, I too would never go backwards to a detector, using notch, discriminating out potentially awesome finds, because they rang up as "less than stellar."

Too each his own. :occasion14:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good point, Curbdog. Relic hunters make the best use of All Metals modes in most detectors. No disc, notch and maximum depth. And the newer detectors offer ID in AM mode now. Like the Tek 8500. Makes life even better.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread