Why would you detect without permission

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because they may say"no". Those awful "they" who do not realize we are entitled to everything we see or want to look for.

Any eight year old will know that. Easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
On property you need to get permission on that's no problem but getting permission on some properties like public areas sometimes sets a negative result into motion. Like permission wasn't needed until one asks for it.
Best of luck out there!

ghost

Mar 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
withoutpermission

Back in the old days, my friend and I would sometimes sneak onto Manassas Battlefield at night. Only thing we ever found was a bayonet and a couple of bullets. Almost got caught one time. Will never do that again.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any thing goes says the bilderberg, we do what we want at your expense...

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure people just do it out of greed or even laziness or carelessness or ignorance... I bet there are other reasons too, but ill never do it. I just dont want to get yelled at, i dont want to give myself a bad reputation or the hobby, thats also why i clean up after myself when im out detecting. Heck, even the demolition area i was detecting the other day i realized to myself i was putting the dirt back like it was before i dug there... Haha... Creature of habit i suppose.
I suppose some people are into the hobby for the profit that is potentially there. Most people that start or think about starting (like some people at my job...) think im getting big profits out of the stuff i come up with. They find the stuff fascinating, but immediately attach money signs to the stuff i show. And frankly, that is not why i am into the hobby at all. So that is why i just ask permission. When it is granted, i always offer a detector to them to use too if they want to, and always show them everything i find too... I believe that leaves me with good karma for the next permission and sometimes one permission will lead to another then...

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do people have to play with their phones when they are driving..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pisses me off.

Where does driving drunk; child abuse; alimony; ham sandwiches without onions and mustard; and women putting makeup on in the rearview mirror at 65mph right beside you rank on your "Pisses me off" meter? :thumbsup: Worry about yourself, we'll worry about us.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because I'm a grown man and I bloody well do what I want, when I want, and I don't need somebody saying what I can do or can't do!

Until the phone rings and the familiar voice asks "Where are you?" :)

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask permission?

Private Property - Yes

Public Property - No, but check for signs/read up on local ordinances.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where does driving drunk; child abuse; alimony; ham sandwiches without onions and mustard; and women putting makeup on in the rearview mirror at 65mph right beside you rank on your "Pisses me off" meter? :thumbsup: Worry about yourself, we'll worry about us.

Right up there with jokers who can't use a blinker and make me sit at an intersection until they turn by me!

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why you ask? Here in the south that will more than likely get a gun barrel screwed in your ear canal:laughing7:

Worse yet, maybe even roughed up a little.

I just think asking permission makes sense. How would you feel to wake up in the morning and lets say 5 people in your yard digging it up????

The folks that don't give permission I honestly think that they think you are up to no good. You know.....using the ruse of metal detecting to scout out the property to come back and steal property. Hey, lets face it, the world of people up to no good has made people skeptical of all people!

I own a fairly good sized tract of land about a mile from my house and get over there to bush hog the knoll and take a look around. It is gated and I am sure there have been some folks that have traversed it even though it is posted. If I ever found anyone there I would politely tell them they are on private property. If they got an attitude then my stainless .357 at the tip of their nose would just reinforce what I just stated.

Hey, I would even give folks permission to detect on my land if they ask. I really don't think there is much to be had on it. I did find one CW .58" lead ball on it by accident. Why it was there???? No clue. To my knowledge there was never a skirmish there. But then again I am sure many a small exchange of fire took place during that war that was never really documented.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
24,642,757 sq. miles of habitable land on earth.
That would mean roughly every member here could hunt 1,585,858 sq. acres..
Plenty of acres to hunt.
Get permission.
Pisses me off.

Permission issue aside for a moment: You do realize that 99.999% of all that acreage you speak of (ie.: all the land-on-earth) is no good for md'ing. Right ? Ie.: middle of desert nowhere, middle of forest nowhere, on the polar ice-caps, in the middle of roadways, fields that never had anything on them, etc.....

So the actual selection of spots that anyone would ever care to detect, is not the "24,642,757 sq. miles of habitable land on earth" you allude to :)

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was gonna say the same thing Tom - As I say to the people that leave early from work "whatever you can afford"!!!!!

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
62757-uscoin-zoom-0.JPG

I'll let the bottom of the Fugio answer for me.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Understood, but the number was for habitable land. The actual number was just over 51,000,000 sq. miles. I get your point tho. Actually, the more I looked at the thread I posted, and the actual post , had anything to do with each other. I just don't get why some, want to be looking behind their backs all the time, and not enjoying the hobby. What do you find when you have to rush? And is it worth it?

Just blowin' off steam I guess,
Duelly noted TominCA,
HH:occasion14:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I don't hunt without permission either.

(I just have a cantankerous streak about being preached to).

:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread