What makes YOU dig?

DubCoco

Jul 9, 2015
Baton Rouge, La.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000, Pro Pointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are all set up with your equipment on, you take a step and start swinging the coil. When the target signals start beeping, what are YOU looking for from your machine to make you want to dig the target? Is it only high tones? Could it be anything that is repeating with the same value on your readout? A certain depth? Tell us what a seasoned detectorist is looking for that makes you do what you do. You guys with a few years behind you, tell us newer guys what you think it takes to have success at this hobby. Thanks in advance!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First, at a new site, I determine where the good and bad targets lay in the ground. The deep targets or both shallow and deep targets can be keepers? If it's site where the deeper the find, the older the find, I usually will dig anything over 3", anything fainter than a surface target. I also will try to remove large surface trash, such as cans and canslaw and then proceed my grid search. I dig any repeatable tone over iron, or large deep iron, when digging these types of sites, over 3 inches. If the site varies, good finds ontop, at 6"+, or every depth, I will dig every single target over iron, and big iron, at any depth. Usually it takes me about 10 minutes to figure out what type of conditions the finds and site will have. Sometimes if I don't get many or no targets in an hour, I figure the research I did was off, the place is filled in, or nothing was lost, and will figure out what I did wrong... Oh, and for settings, personally, I never use discrimination, it's always on All Metal Mode for me.

In a plowed field, I'll dig everything at every depth, since the finds move around every year after every plow... being turned up from the plows.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I normally grid a place and swing my stock coil to cover it i.e. east to west and dig all targets within reason. (lord knows you don't want the permission to look like a WWI battle field). When I do my second grid I put on my 12" x 15" coil and and go north to south. It may take me 4 weekends to cover a permission (depending on it's size and target infestation). Sometimes you run across an iffy signal. I have found coin spills that depending on the direction of the swing may register from nickle to silver and swung the opposite direction may ring silver through zinc. Some site you will get to know where the good coins lay. My last site they were between 5 & 7 inches, anything shallower was clad. I try to pull as much out of the permission on the 1st pass since the big coil works better the fewer the targets it swings over. To finish up a site I install the 5" DD and do the hard to reach places like flower beds, behind and under shrubs and low hanging pine trees.

The next plug may be "THE PLUG" that contains a gold ring, a bucket list coin or even a key date coin. That is what makes me dig and motivates me to continue on this quest/obsession.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When it comes to detecting, nothing is ever written in stone...For example, some say when they hunt a site, the good, deep whispers are what they look for and to an extent, that is true...but I have also found very old coins on the very top of the ground or very near the surface! What I do sometimes, I search until I find one good target and then I try to dig everything after...You should to your homework...Research is very important and keep an open mind and be open to change especially tactics when you hunt...Everything helps and in time you will learn the tricks of the trade!

The reason why I hunt? One word! History....

Good Luck and HHing!

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dig it all... PERIOD. But I admit I am NOT AN EXPERT MD'er at all. I guess if you "trust" your MD to register a correct re-out then... trust it! I on a personal note would NEVER trust a "re-out" to determine what to dig. Items being on edge, flat, old, older and dual signals possibly stacked are the reasons I dig.... But to each their own.

Probably the reason I dig a lot of horseshoes....?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if its small and repeatable,and above iron I dig it.My digging is generally in the woods so I can dig it all

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
You are all set up with your equipment on, you take a step and start swinging the coil. When the target signals start beeping, what are YOU looking for from your machine to make you want to dig the target? Is it only high tones? Could it be anything that is repeating with the same value on your readout? A certain depth? Tell us what a seasoned detectorist is looking for that makes you do what you do. You guys with a few years behind you, tell us newer guys what you think it takes to have success at this hobby. Thanks in advance!

I think the most important thing that leads to success in this hobby is experience. You have to put in the time learning your detector, swinging the coil listening and digging. But for practical advise, always dig signals that sound a bit different or unusual.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me, each site is different...but typically, on a new permission, I will first cherry-pick the high tones as a quick once over. After that, I slow down, still focusing on the high tones, but also paying attention to lower, repeating signals. If I am lucky enough to hunt a third time or more, that's when I start pulling the rest of the targets, the foils, pulltabs, etc... One day I will find gold in an old yard, I am sure of it. I almost never hunt for iron targets, unless I am up north in the woods...once a year or so.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always detect a promising spot at least a dozen times. Do the whole area in one direction and then do it in the opposite direction. Then go back and do it diagonally. Repeat this procedure until there's nothing left!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig pretty much any repeatable signal from foil on up even the scratchy/broken ones.

When I started out I was just cherry picking the coins and changed my approach when things go thinned out at my sites....that's when I started finding rings, buttons, relics, etc....it made it way more interesting.

Regards + HH

Bill

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

For me it is first and foremost that audible tone that is solid and wide if that makes sense. My detector most often with junk and ferrous items gets that gruntle Fe sound most detectors do so those usually most often remain in their tomb! Repeated values or same TID readout means nothing to me if the audible is not right. I am a sound person even though the TID readout is a nice confirmation.

That is not saying you don't get a undertone as I say that hits hard quick to suggest ferrous or trash near a great find. You really get good at those and hearing those from, well, you guessed it, being in the field doing detecting.

When new I say dig it all to get use to several things. One is digging property or plugging and replacing. Then get use to putting eyes on the object that is associated with that sound you just heard. Plus, it is just fun to dig and the other thing is it gets you practice with your pin pointer as well.

So that is how I rolled. Now I am getting much better at discerning the sounds and knowing what is junk and what is worth digging.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I have just gotten serious with this hobby, it's become clear to me that the most important thing is Learning your machine. I was out yesterday, and hit 5 spots with solid 82-83 signals. I figured I finally got on some silver. 5 wads of tin foil. But the 6th, same 82-83, was an '89 Quarter. So I learned something about the machine. I'm diggin' 82-83 all day anyway. Why I dig? No greater rush then pulling something awesome out of the ground.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of my swing time is spent hunting for older US coins in trashy city parks that have seen a lot of coils over many years. I always use a multi-tone machine and rely on the audio as my main source of information. An accurate depth reading is also important. Most of the good targets at these sites are fairly deep due to sinking, back-filling, and just the fact that the shallow easy ones have long since been removed. Masking can also be a big factor in certain areas. At these sites, the best targets will be accompanied by the worst signals; so that is what I'm looking for. For the copper/silver range, I'll dig anything four inches or deeper that gives at least a faint peep of a high tone, with the exception of some iron falses. For nickles, it's six inches and deeper. If the site is old enough to give up indians, then I'll pay more attention to the VDI #s while still watching the depth. I dig plenty of trash using this strategy but still bring home a few keepers. For the trashy areas I use the smallest coil I can get, but will usually re-hunt it at some point with the stock coil.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Patience. When you decide to detect an area treat it like someone you really want to date. Identify the curves and indentations you want to explore. Go low and S-L-O-W. You think you are going slow? Go Slower! Enjoy the soil beneath your coil and LISTEN to the story it is telling you.

You know the old war movies where the guy is at the radio with the headphones on and all the other guys pack in around him as the Morse code fades in and out as the operator fiddles with the tuners? You are doing the same thing to get the best signal and depth from the ground below your coil when you "Ground Balance" your metal detector.

You must be patient, you must put the hours in on the headphones, and you MUST Believe! :occasion14:

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Chesapeake Bay Beaches, I am looking to be there at low tide to work the clay and pebble areas. In a big piece of woods, I just roam along trails and clearings, I gravitate towards foundations and trees with old carvings, and rocks that look like it would make a nice seat to sit on. If I don't make any finds I will just roam and look for hot spots and work them hard.

Perses

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites TRX bullseye Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At this point it is purely addiction ... there are times when I dont even realize that I am out digging, just kinda catch myself that oh boy, here I am in the woods again, kneeling in front of a hole looking for that darn shotgun shell. Cant....stop....digging....help

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I blame it on my parents. When I was about 8 yrs. old, they kept buying me Tonka Trucks. And what were they made for? Digging, and I've been playing in the dirt ever since. Of course , now it's to uncover history. Before it was who could make the biggest hole. I do remember one thing that makes me sick now. We would always find IH's and silver, and of course we didn't know any better, so we went to the penny candy store.

I dig now for the unexpected find.:occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing what's out there waiting to be discovered....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread