Need to get a detector to find a buried Silver Brick

Giantsrchamps

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting but I am to told that a family member buried a silver brick before they died. I want to purchase a detector to search the property but I can not figure out what one to buy. I have always wanted to get into this but never have yet but I know I will use a detector more then once. My big problem is all of them say they go down 6in or 10in but i need it to go gown 2 feet or so. Since I am looking for something so large will it detect that deep? I am looking at Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 from Walmart, but dont know if that will work. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An 89 dollar detector may find a Volkswagen buried 10 feet deep but in reality you need something like the Fisher Gemini-3 Metal Detector IMO.
I don't think the BH is up to the task needed by you.
Cost new $725.00 + shipping and tax.

OP
OP
G

Giantsrchamps

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I figured I needed a deep search detector like that. To bad they are so much money, I have a max budget of $200

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
depending on the size of the yard/area, you might not need an Md
as most people bury things near something they will remember
like the old birdbath, garden fence, ect, so maybe using a probe
near those areas might get you some results. if some areas have
been dug up for whatever reasons those prob can be eliminated too.

OP
OP
G

Giantsrchamps

Nov 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a big property and it was buried 20 years ago but I have a good idea of the area

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
What weight and dimensions on this so called brick of silver? If it's is real honker of silver, I'd say that a $160 Toreso Compadre "new" would hit those depths. The old Fisher 12XX line would too. Silver will scream if it's big and under 2' depth.

If the "brick" is simply a minature size compared to what all the TV shows gold bricks to look like, then you have a whole different ballgame, depending on whether it was really buried down at 3 feet.

Like others mentioned, look for old trees, fence posts, in the old garden,,,any place he coulda watched it from his bedroom.

A used 12xx series Fisher or the Compadre should see an actual brick of solid silver at those depths. If I can dig smashed soda cans at a foot, then a brick of silver should be do-able at 2', without the need for a big, elaborate detector.

Get ready to dig a lot of junk. Hope you get lucky

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree with most. A Minelab Sovereign
with a 15" WOT coil will go 3 feet easy on a 12oz steel beer Can.

No doubt. I've done it !

& yes I have done 4 feet on a Water line or Something.
I ended up giving up when I realized it was longer then the hole I dug,
and I was already laying flat on my side in Mud.
with a long handled Digger stretched down as Far as I could.
I figure 4+ feet when I struck metal

It's not so much the detector as the Experience to read the detector & the Luck of Swinging over the right Spot.

Silver Brick in What ?

and actual Size. Not a Guess.... Actual Size ?

A silver Brick 12" X 12" x 12" in a iron box buried 1 Foot under ground will be hard to Find in full Discrimination, even with a $3000,00 detector.
But a $30.00 detector will find it in All Metal mode I'm sure

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Jeff, a Sov GT and 15" coil will easily see 3 ft on that type of target in all metal. I have dug lots of tiny targets over 20" with sov and 15" coil or excal with 15" coil in all metal. Dug beer cans 3 ft too..

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am new to metal detecting but I am to told that a family member buried a silver brick before they died. I want to purchase a detector to search the property but I can not figure out what one to buy. I have always wanted to get into this but never have yet but I know I will use a detector more then once. My big problem is all of them say they go down 6in or 10in but i need it to go gown 2 feet or so. Since I am looking for something so large will it detect that deep? I am looking at Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 from Walmart, but dont know if that will work. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Where are you located?
I'm in Colorado, but I'll be in Tampa/St. Pete area after this Sunday for vacation and I'm taking my AT/Pro with me.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Thanks

Rent one.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a sizable brick and deeper then 2 feet you will probably need a two box unit to find it. Your best bet would be to post where you are and see if you can get some help from some of the forum members who already have equipment and experience.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, might be better to get some help because you'll be dealing with several obstacles ... less than optimum equipment if you're on that small of a budget and inexperience.

That second item could trump all else.

If it's just recovery, there are probably some folks here who would be very happy to help and even help you get some experience in the hobby in the process.

WARNING: It is addicting, even when you don't dig banner finds.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a fisher Gemini 3 I'll be selling soon pm me if your interested

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it is 2 foot deep unless you have soft sandy soil. If you have soft ground and you know the general area, you could just use a bottle probe and probe the ground until you feel it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread