Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal Detectorists. I Haven't Seen Any !

Hi everyone !

I have been metal detecting for about a year now, however, I have yet to see anyone else using a metal detector........seems strange. As I go to the parks, searching around picnic tables, tot lots, beaches, etc., I am always on the lookout for another MD'er, to chat with and learn from. Whenever I get in my car and go anywhere, I see places that appear to have potential, but never a soul thereabouts using a metal detector !

I see folks carrying fishing poles when I'm near streams and lakes, hunters carrying shotguns and rifles when out in the country and the list goes on, but no one swinging a metal detector !

Do you think the general public views treasure hunters as rogues or pirates, and that this perceived attitude causes the majority of detectorists to shy away from MD'ing out in plain view of passersby ?

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks.........ToddB64 ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: Metal Detectorists. I Haven't Seen Any !

Yea... I've been at it since the 70s and I can tell you - I RARELY see any one else detecting!

Weird huh?

But - I've also never seen a baby pigeon - only adults... are they born that big? :-\

CoinSniper

May 28, 2006
Nashua, NH

Go to the treasure coast :) I've only seen people metal detecting ocean beaches and occasionally other places.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

Very infrequently here, too. I could count on one hand the number of times I've seen a detectorist without setting up a meet of some sort.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A few years ago I worked the West Coast beaches from north to south moving on day by day for nearly a month. Didn't see one person using a detector.
Came home and it was back to normal....you could go down the beach at six in the morning and if the tide was right there would be two or three on every beach.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

That's because there's really only about ten people who really do metal detect, and your one of them. The rest of us are only faking it here and on the other 100 or so MD sites online. :D :D :D :D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have yet to see anyone else using a metal detector........seems strange.

You're lucky!

They're not there ever, or you're just not there when they are? Lots of retired members of our club have the great advantage of having weekdays to hunt. Especially in the AM before it gets hot in the summer. I see occasional fellow detectorists. We have about 30 club members and I never bump into them.

The Standard

Nov 9, 2005
White Plains New York
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202

i have never seen anyone swinging either...from reading this board you would think there were 40 MD at every park, but that is not the case, at least not here.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

I rarely see another md'er either, but I know there are some when I find holes or see evidence of digging!!!! If there were no md'ers around every woodchip playground would be carpeted with coins and jewelry- they'd look like a treasure chest!!!! I myself am out very early in the AM so not to be disturbed by the overcurious general public who have 10,000 questions to ask :D
Greg

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl

there all in FL.I have hit the beach many times an counted 10 to 14 other people by the days end, you get a suprise that you find anything with so many hunting.........

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II

I know of one detectorist in the area, and while we are friends, we have yet to hunt together. Our schedules conflict, big time. I was at a park about 3 weeks ago, just calling it a day, when I guy showed up with his daughter. I thought it was another "any luck" questioner, until I saw the machine in his hand. I told him he was the only person besides myself there, that I ever saw with an MD. He started laughing, and said it was his fathers, and the only reason he brought it along, was that he saw me there the week before, when he brought his daughter to the tot lot. He said it would give him something to do when she was on the sliding board. I wished him luck and went home. But that was the only time I've ever seen anyone else out, where I normally go. Bodyguard

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

i run into another detectorist every once in a while. so far all of them have been really cool.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I have never seen another person detecting except for Groundfisher who I ran into by chance last summer. I have had alot of men approach me when I am detecting and tell me that they know of men who do ,but they never see a woman detecting.... let alone one accompanied by two little girls. I have traveled extensively and know that alot of my detecting is in the boonies ,but I do try to hit older parks and schools in my travels....I am begining to wonder where all you guys are? :D :D

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

You never see other people detecting because they all moved to Florida. So many of them they are tripping over one another.

I just keep hoping they will all get back on the bus and leave so I can have all the goodies to myself. LOL

The other reason is a condition called MDS, Metal Detecting Syndrome. Anyone who picks up a Metal Detector develops it and it causes you to be unable to see another person carrying a detector. There could be dozens of them but you just can't see them. Only cure is to come to Florida where you can not only see them but trip over them too.

Happy Hunting

;D

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

gypsyheart said:
I have never seen another person detecting except for Groundfisher who I ran into by chance last summer. I have had alot of men approach me when I am detecting and tell me that they know of men who do ,but they never see a woman detecting.... let alone one accompanied by two little girls. I have traveled extensively and know that alot of my detecting is in the boonies ,but I do try to hit older parks and schools in my travels....I am begining to wonder where all you guys are? :D :D

I'm here and diggin, Gypsy. So is DigginGirl. ;D ;)

DM

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

seas1to2 said:
there all in FL.I have hit the beach many times an counted 10 to 14 other people by the days end, you get a suprise that you find anything with so many hunting.........
Ray S ECenFL said:
You never see other people detecting because they all moved to Florida. So many of them they are tripping over one another.

I just keep hoping they will all get back on the bus and leave so I can have all the goodies to myself. LOL

The other reason is a condition called MDS, Metal Detecting Syndrome. Anyone who picks up a Metal Detector develops it and it causes you to be unable to see another person carrying a detector. There could be dozens of them but you just can't see them. Only cure is to come to Florida where you can not only see them but trip over them too.

Happy Hunting

;D
You guys took the words right outta my mouth! You wanna see others detecting? Come to Florida and go to the beach early in the morning,late in the evening or in the middle of the afternoon!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No trouble finding others down here, I run into others at the beach, the local parks, and play grounds. I also see their signs in the playgrounds, little goffer holes in the mulch.

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Another If you want to see people detecting come to Florida!
Funny thing I was just in a store on Tuesday and I over hear a lady telling a guy she had lost her wedding set. He asked where'd you lose it I'm really into metal detecting and if it was outside I would be happy to look for it.
I ended up talking to him for a few minutes. I see them all the time. You should be happy, when I see someone else detecting I get disappointed thinking they probably found everything!

Good Luck and HH

BADDOG

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois

I know of 8 that hunt in my area. I hunt with one on a regular basis and the others I just happend to meet once in a while. I know there are more from what I have been told, but have yet to see them. So for the ones that never see anyone, feel lucky. I hate sharing sites with all these people.

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know there is a club in town (Omaha area close to 1/2 million with surrounding cities) and have been told it has about 30 members. I have yet to see anyone else. I'm trying to hook up with nedigger on this website to go detecting sometime after Fathers Day. He's the only one I've conversed with, and that's been on this forum. I know people are hunting because some of the playgrounds I go to have nothing. I've had better luck in obscure parks that aren't on the "beaten path" so to speak.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread