Killer Beaver found!

S

stefen

I coexist with animals all the time....every chance I get, I bring 'em home for dinner!!:headbang:

Seat them between the taters and gravy, next to the peas...:coffee2:

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Co-exist with wildlife? I do the best I can to do that, but evidently you don't have elk where you live. Try dealing with an 800 lb. elk ripping your fruit trees to shreds. Yes, we have elk in Pa. Or a beaver cutting down a fruit tree. Then ask me about coexisting with wildlife. Not an attack, only a statement.

Yes, I've heard all the excuses for killing animals. I used to work at a nursery and the deer used to chew on the owner's shrubs during the night. Instead of putting up a fence, he hired some unethical hunters to jack-light the deer. They managed to kill a few, until I reported them to the DEM. The hunters were arrested and fined for jack-lighting the deer. They also lost their right to hunt for a year or two, if I remember correctly.

Not an attack, just a statement of fact.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little bugger it is! Lets see if Bobby cat or Carl cougar get it this winter. If not ill have pics of Baby Little Buggers this spring. No pics last night due to rain.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet I won't be wandering outside at night ever again. And daytime could get tricky.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I moved the trail camera. Got a picture of Little Bugger's tongue. I'll figure out how to download it tonight. AARRGGG!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I GOT HIM! On film. IMG_0022.JPG

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's not too awfully big, body is maybe 20" long. Big and fat however. Here he is caught in the act. He stays up late.

IMG_0024.JPG

Last edited:

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
Beaver are one critter that never stops growing. Today he is standing on the ground chewing on that tree, in mid winter he may be chewing on it 2 or 3 feet higher because of snowpack. they don't kill trees until they are ready to,(they may not even know when they ate killing them, they like the live inner bark.) they won't griddle them all the way around. By leaving some live bark on one side of the tree, it stays alive. It looks like they are cutting the tree to fall one direction, but not so, they have no idea where or when it will fall, they are often killed by the falling trees they knock over. When they cut into a tree of any size, how well do you think that tree will stand up to a strong wind?
The beaver in the pic looks like a yearling, Give him 10 years he will be 50 or more lbs and stand 4 feet or more on his hind legs. There teeth never stop growing either.
On another note once your land is flooded by beaver it is wetland. Think about how much the government likes wetlands. If you let them flood your land you could be prevented from ever returning it to useable land or fined out the wazoo if you do.
I too am an animal lover, i love to see them in the mountains or the flatland. Most go very well with barbecue sauce. The hind leg of beaver are like way oversized turkey legs, for size, but sirloin or tender lion, for a meat comparison. A wire around the bone tied to a stick over a fire for a a spell with a fresh killed head of iceberg lettuce. Now that is a good meal.
On another side note I too talk with God often, I am not special but he often answers very clearly. But on meat I don't wast his time He gave people meat eater teeth, not cud chewer teeth. Stay safe out there.
Cool pics.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I NEED him to stay around until at least Memorial Day. We're doing a film project and one scene calls for the settlers to canoe up a creek. My creek is now big enough to film right here versus sending my film crew 125 miles down the Chesapeake Bay. The area back there is already a swamp, and he seems to be done with him dam. (had to remember how to spell that.) Anyway, I'm hopeing a spring flood doesn't take him out.

If need be I'll get a DNR licensed trapper to relocate him. For now, more pictures! Hopefully some daylight ones. He is pretty small. We've had beavers and beaver dams here before, they only stayed a couple months and left.

BTW it's already wetlands back there and has been probably forever.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another side note I too talk with God often, I am not special but he often answers very clearly.

God is talking to you? Really? What does he say? How do you know it's God talking to you? I hear voices in my head as well, but I'm sure it isn't God talking to me.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have a bank beaver living right along the front of the property. It's taken a couple of trees in the small bay at the end of the property, no big deal. If it comes to the point where it is, I'll invest in some wire mesh and wrap the trees that need protecting till then they can live and do what they want to do. Rather have a beaver than an idiot on the property any day.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trail camera is nice. First Mr. Squirrel visited, then Mr. and Mrs. Raccoon showed, but Mr. Beaver chased them off. The one doe, then two came and finally they passed the buck. har har har Mr. Owl was watching (not really). That was another day. IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0527.JPG

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This particular trail camera is more user friendly than my first one. I set it to take pics 5 seconds apart and over 500 pictures on it last night!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread