potty lead

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What kind of bullets? I remember reading articles in the "National Rifleman" about casting bullets, and for high power, smokeless powder guns, there is a science to it. Pure lead is soft enough to scratch with your thumb nail. Pure lead does not work well for high power guns. Pure lead is what you want for muzzzle loading firearms. There are several methods of hardening lead, adding antimony is one that I remember from the article. Wheel weights aren't pure lead, they can't be scratched with a thumb nail. I have a friend that casts bullets out of wheel weights. and they seem to work OK for him.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off course you can use it; I scrounged lead from old houses and cellar holes for years-Probably cast 20,000 Keath 168 gr 357 slugs//
just skim off any impurities, add a little tin and go to it Perry

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of bullets? I remember reading articles in the "National Rifleman" about casting bullets, and for high power, smokeless powder guns, there is a science to it. Pure lead is soft enough to scratch with your thumb nail. Pure lead does not work well for high power guns. Pure lead is what you want for muzzzle loading firearms. There are several methods of hardening lead, adding antimony is one that I remember from the article. Wheel weights aren't pure lead, they can't be scratched with a thumb nail. I have a friend that casts bullets out of wheel weights. and they seem to work OK for him.
thanks

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off course you can use it; I scrounged lead from old houses and cellar holes for years-Probably cast 20,000 Keath 168 gr 357 slugs//
just skim off any impurities, add a little tin and go to it Perry
10-4 thanks

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things to be aware of if you haven't done it before.
1. Make sure everything is DRY----------Do not get any water around molten lead. KaPow big time if water is dropped into molten lead. Pouring lead on water is A-OK as that is how shot is made.
2. DO NOT breathe the fumes from molten lead.
3. Use quality bullet molds.
Mix 1 part tire weights and 2 parts plumbers lead for modern pistol bullets is my suggestion.
Years ago my Brother and I melted and poured approximately 4,000 pounds of lead into 2 pound molds. 24 2pounders to each mold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things to be aware of if you haven't done it before.
1. Make sure everything is DRY----------Do not get any water around molten lead. KaPow big time if water is dropped into molten lead. Pouring lead on water is A-OK as that is how shot is made.
2. DO NOT breathe the fumes from molten lead.
3. Use quality bullet molds.
Mix 1 part tire weights and 2 parts plumbers lead for modern pistol bullets is my suggestion.
Years ago my Brother and I melted and poured approximately 4,000 pounds of lead into 2 pound molds. 24 2pounders to each mold.
good to know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread