General question.

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently started to detect after playing the waiting game. I have found mainly trash and some clad. I don't know if its a noob thing but I cant stay out for more than an hour or so. Maybe I am looking in the wrong areas. Right not its just parks till I get more comfortable and experienced. I hot a target and dig the plug just to not be able to find it. I need a pin pointer I know that but I I am still not finding the target. I look in the plug its self but do not want to tear it up to where it wont look good going back in and I just get up and walk away. I would love to find someone to go with but I have had no luck in my area yet. I am not giving up just trying to get the momentum to keep at it more and more.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would get a pinpointer.

Parks are tough. They have all been hunted by now so either go for the edges of the park, or deep targets. Get a penny signal and dig, if its a Wheat penny note the depth and try to stay digging targets that deep or deeper. People will argue with me, but generally I dont dig targets under 2" unless I have a good reason to. Bang on some doors of old houses. Dont know which are old? I get into public records and find out the year they were built. Later I found it easier to learn architecture for different time periods.

Most importantly dig all targets for a while and learn your machine. It'll take 50 hrs before one is competent with any machine. Stay at it and don't get discouraged. Good luck

Steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your target could easily be in the plug.... You need a pinpointer if your hunting land, if it is in the plug you can see what part of plug it is in and only break up that part of the plug.....

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You are living in an area rich in history and great stuff in the ground.

Secure permission to hunt a nice private property area, something promising like an 1800's farm, and then let the folks know you are looking for hunting buddies on that prime piece of real estate.

You will make new friends pretty quickly and will learn a lot on the hunt.

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pin pointer will help a great deal even if it is the one from Harbor Freight. I started with this one and I believe you can get it for under $20.
Good luck and Happy Hunting

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
go to you tub and watch videos on your detector Also pinpoint one direction and mark your spot with a golf tee then turn 90% and pinpoint again. you will be amazed where this target will move. I tied a bright string on my tees to not loose them. It takes time , time , time.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here this should help .... Bury a coin & on the exact very spot of coin stick a golf tee on top .... Practice pinpointing until you find the hot spot.... I bet you will find your target quicker after doing this 10-20 times

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another tip for practicing pinpointing
grab a large piece of cardboard tape a coin on it then flip it over use a screw driver to poke through after you learn how to pinpoint.... Try this a few times & I bet you will find your targets much quicker!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freedom in our country is anything but free. Let us pray for those who fought for our country so we can be free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions