hooked again!!!!!

danger67

May 30, 2007
friendship,NY
Detector(s) used
x terra 705/ fisher f75se
Last weekend my wife and i had a garage sale to clear out a few things. One of the things i put in the sale is my metal detector that i havent used in about 3 years. When things were slow i took it out in my yard and was pulling several coins out of the ground all newer stuff but coin's none the less. Well on my fifth signal it read quarter 4" deep so i dug. Well i dug and i was looking at the first large cent i have ever found. As you can imagine my detector came out of the sale and ive been using it every day since lol. The large cent was holed by some silly soul right through the date all i can make out is the last digit it being a three. It is by far the oldest coin ive found and im happy to have it hole and all.

Thanks for reading, Dan

Attachments

• largecenttail.JPG
    largecenttail.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 206
OP
OP
danger67

danger67

May 30, 2007
friendship,NY
Detector(s) used
x terra 705/ fisher f75se
Here's a pic of the front they couldn't have hit the date any better lol

Attachments

• largecenthead.JPG
    largecenthead.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 199

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i love those old holed coins. even though it hurts the value, when you think that someone 100 years ago holed it so they wouldnt lose it, it somehow makes it a more personal find. to me at least! i wouldnt sell my detector either if i found stuff like that in my yard! awesome find!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
we can probably nail the date down to a couple of possibilities. if I'm not mistaken that is a "mature head" variety which was minted from 1843 to 1857. so if the last # is a 3, its either 1843 or 1853.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep looks like your hooked again ! post what you find, i sure like looking to !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread