anyone quit smoking??? its not cool

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daryl:
Extremely well put, especially the psychological after effect. This is precisely where hypnosis or subliminal suggestion is most effective. By learning simple self hypnosis, or using subliminal tapes, you can give yourself whatever continual psychological reinforcing that you need. Of course it helps tremendously in the primary drug withdrawal phase also.

The combination treatment is where most of the failures with Hypnosis have occurred, they failed to follow through. This where you have do your conscious part in "WANTING TO ELIMINATE ANY FURTHER CRAVING FOR CIGARETTES".

End point, remember that literally millions have successfully done it, so can you, "IF" you actually want to.

I used to be a heavy coffee drinker, my friend was a beer drinker, one day we decided to have an informal contest to see who could stop. About two weeks later, I still hadn't touched coffee, I surprised him with a beer. I gleefully said " so, it looks as if I won ", he sheepishly replied, "yeah, I figred that I would fail anyway, so I thought why suffer so I bought a six pack"

Unfortunately this is the attitude of many that wish to Quit, and why wanting personally to quit is so important..

Don Jose de La Mancha

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
The BioProfessor pretty much hit on what I experienced when quitting smoking after 20+ yrs. of heavy cigarett smoking. The first week I'd catch my self facinated by watching others inhale and slowly let the smoke out with that look of contentment. I realized it was a much more mental thing than physical addiction. I tended bar and this environment made it tougher. I was about your age, Chong, and I took pride in that there wasn't a bar I was afraid to go in and drink. A friend offered me a cigarett and as I rolled it around in my fingers I realized this little white Bastard two and a half inches tall controlled my life completely so I crushed him up and fought the fight and won. A year later I'd pull up to a red light and my right hand would still go to my shirt pocket looking for one. Chong, if you or any one reading this wants to quit. It's mental, you can whip that bastard. If he wins he'll have you pulling that little tank around with a tube in your nose. Go for it Bud!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
So true Silverswede.....I found myself noticing many of the same things, mostly that I was in slavery to the cigarettes....I even planned my activities around them, found money for cigs when even groceries were hard to come by. Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did in my life and there are times it is still hard but I really do not want to be a slave again! Set your mind to quit, set a date to quit and if there is anything at all you want to do in order to make it a bit easier make sure you have it ready then and don't go on the guilt trip about the cost of your patch or smoke away or whatever....it is cheaper than the cigs in the long run.....once you have all that there and your date shows.....fight for all your worth! You CAN win.....I had smoked since I was a little kid, didn't know how NOT to smoke and I did it but I won't lie and say it was easy but your health and your freedom are worth that fight. We will be here cheering you on when you are ready!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Lets see,
I had a patch, nicoderm gum, talking to a Doctor and was taking a brown pill and had a cigarette all at the ame time.
I have spen as much of different things and still I smoke.
I do not know of anyone getting out of this world alive YET.
Peg Leg

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Lol Peg I soooo know how you feel! I went through all of that as well, gum and patches at same time even and went back to smoking. I also had such a bad reaction to Zyban to "help me quit" that I ended up in the hospital! I tried sooooo many ways to quit and could have been the poster child for failure in accomplishing it too! Don't let anyone put you down because you have not found the solution yet.....for that matter don't let anyone put you down if you are not even trying.....fact of the matter is....putting people down for smoking or not accomplishing their quit goal only brings them down and hurts them.....makes it even harder to quit because you have the failure and mean remarks to deal with too. I honestly believe there is nothing harder than beating a nicotine addiction for some of us and I applaud your every try......and totally understand when you just feel you can't try for awhile too. If your goal is to quit then I pray you accomplish it sooner rather than later. If it is not your goal to quit I understand too. Neither of us is going to get out of this world alive for sure. You certainly got that part right! :D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I made the conscience decision that I really wanted to quit.I started by "weaning" myself off slowly each day over the course of a few weeks.I didn't use the patch,pills,gum,lozenges,hypnotherapy,acupunture or any other means other than pure determination.I never smoked more than a pack a day to begin with,usually a little less (unless I was drinking).I smoked for more than 20 years.Though it's only been a little over 6 months since I quit,I don't miss it at all.I am no longer a slave to my "next cigarette". The extra 25 pounds I put on is another story though.It's a good thing i'm tall so it doesn't show too much! ;D On a sidenote I will say that I have quit in the past,twice.But I was still drinking and partying back then, I quit all that years ago so I believe this, the third time will be the charm for me.Once again I wish you luck.

la9

Mar 25, 2007
All you have to do is decide you want to quit. It's all in your head.

I decided I was going to quit and did. I quit cold turkey. I just had it in my head I was going to quit when cigarettes hit $1.50 and when they did I quit and haven't smoked since. If that tells you how long ago I quit.

It is all in your mind. If you are thinking you are addicted and can never quit then that is what will happen. If you think the patch will help you quit then it will. If you think you will never be able to quit even if you try, you'll be right.

When I quit I didn't have any side effects like the chills, break out in sweats or anything more than thinking about it. I reached for a pack a couple times because it is a habit more than anything.

Decide what is really going on in your mind and you'll know if you can quit or not.

Once you do quit never ever pick up another one.

The first one always leads to the next one.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100% with la9. You have to know you can do it, convince yourself, it is all mental. I "tried" several times before i just threw it in a corner and said, I don't need this. Once I convinced myself, I had no trouble. You have a beautiful daughter, you need every second of life you can save with her. If you think quitting is hard, think about how hard chemotherapy or dragging an oxygen tank around is.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I am currently taking a miracle drug called chantix. I have been on it for two months and will be on it an additional four more. Now here's the real scoop on this drug and why I call it a miracle drug. I too started smoking around the old age of thirteen and am now headed into my forty eigth birthday in july. After six weeks of taking this drug i noticed that i was simply forgetting to smoke when I normally would. Like waking up and going for an hour and all of a sudden realizing that I had yet to light up. I have managed to cut back from 2 packs a day to a scant 8-10 cigs a day in the last two weeks. I normally buy cigs by the carton three cartons at a time to last for about two weeks, but this last time I didn't buy any because I still had 8 packs left and my plan is when their gone I won't be buying any more. The best part about this med is the way it works is it blocks the absorbtion of nicotine into the brain and thus you get no rush from your cigs, this of course takes time as you slowly increase the dosage and your body builds it up in your blood. As for the phsycological addiction part I thought that would be a problem for me because I'm more wishy washy than Charlie Brown. However, that hasn't really been an issue I just focused on beating one trigger at a time. Like when you wake up, or after a meal etc.. Seriously you'll be amazed at how easy this is. The one thing you must know about this med is that alot of people suffer from nausea as a side effect, but I think most of them are not taking the med as prescribed. Make sure you always eat a full meal before taking it and you'll be fine. I strongly urge you and anyone else who wants to quit reaserch this medicine called Chantix by just googling the name and see what alot of people are saying about it.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
definitely sounds like a great tool there! Nice of you to share the information as well! Good luck with the rest of your plan there....sounds like things are right on target!

xd

Oct 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
I stopped 2 times in the last 5 years I'm 28 and the poster boy for stopping
1. Basic Training - 4 months got to airport smoked a pack waiting for he plane to come home.
2. DVT blood clot in hospital for 4 weeks on blood thinners for 19 months. After my last blood test visit to the doctors office I went directly to the gas station and bought a pack.

Right now I smoke 2-3 packs a day but I also run 5 miles a day sometimes more. I know i need to stop, but just don't want to. the only time I don't smoke is when I go see the rents 2-3 weeks at a time I wont smoke. My mom hates the smell and kids are around. If you can stop stop, but it will only work if you want it to.

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i just finished reading through all of you post, thank you soo very much for the time to talk about this. you all have been through tyhe danm addiction. and alot of stories give me hope. now im actually glad and getting this butterfly feeling, like meeting a cute chick, i know im gonna do this. i would like the pills MD DoG talks about but there is no way i can afford even a doctors visit right now, and i dunno if mexico will have the same quality. i just went to the store and priced some gum, its on clearance, i am gonna pick that up, and the smoke away, under tongue spray. What Daryl was saying is soo very true, its the addictions, hand movement, exct.... i am also going to get a thick straw and a cigar tip fill them with some stuffing to get the taking a drag affect. That did help before. also i will plan to take a weekend off,so i can keep busy, MDing of course. Also when i tried that smaoke away kit, it did the recomendation of the ashes and cigg buts in water, in a jar, man, i was quit for the days and my mom who came in the car smelled like crap, i told her too. thats cause i was off them for three days, while i smoke, man i smells great. one more thing i have never wanted to look at, are the pictures of smokers lungs, i will also print those out. im worried also because last time when i quit for the 3 days i was cool then one of my stupid girlfriends pissed me off and i had to have one, kinda like the one who had a relative pass away. i work with this guy who is a complete ahole, we are always getting into it, i think if it happens when im quiting smoking i will be kicking his ***. im a skinney guy, and it will look like a scene from Alpha Dog, the skinny brother ;) i will quite this all, and keep you all posted, PLEASE and thank you for putting me into your prayers, but when u pray, pray for Brandon, not Chong. and if all else fails, i may just break out the old pyrex glass artifact from my child hood and see if that helps, i never liked smoking after smoking ::)
p.s. warsaw, i dunno what to say......

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
FYI

Department of Health Offers Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy — March 27, 2006
The New Mexico Department of Health is now offering free nicotine replacement products to New Mexicans who want to quit smoking or chewing tobacco. The program will provide up to two months of nicotine patches, lozenges or gum to tobacco users who register for cessation services at 1-800-QUIT-NOW, New Mexico's free tobacco help line.

Daryl

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Deal Brandon! We will be your cheering section and prayer support both. Keep us updated on your progress, looks like Daryl found another resource for you too! What a great help! Go go go!! ~hugsnprayers~ Cyndi

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
FYI

Department of Health Offers Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy — March 27, 2006
The New Mexico Department of Health is now offering free nicotine replacement products to New Mexicans who want to quit smoking or chewing tobacco. The program will provide up to two months of nicotine patches, lozenges or gum to tobacco users who register for cessation services at 1-800-QUIT-NOW, New Mexico's free tobacco help line.

Daryl
Well there you go chong2mry.Your a good guy BioProfessor.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Welcome to 1020 RX Prescription Plan
https://www.1020rx.com

RX Plan Individual

$9.99 first month and $14.99/month thereafter

* Pay a Maximum of $10 or $20 or $40 for select Generic and Brand Name Prescription Drugs!*
* No age limits
* No health restrictions
* No limitation of use
* No reimbursement procedures
* No paperwork, you pay the discounted amount at the time of your visit
* Use immediately when you receive your card
* Network of over 48,000 pharmacies
* Savings of 10% to 60% on the rest of the medications
* Member savings on medical and diabetic supplies
* Individual and family options
* Business and group rates available
* 30-Day Money Back Guarantee

BUPROPION SR 150 MG TABLET - 30 tablets - $37.59

WAL-MART PHARMACY
3251 CERILLOS RD
SANTA FE, NM 87507
(505) 473-4261

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Remember... Nobody likes a quitter. Seriously though, I know people who have used hypnosis successfully. Go online and do a search for John Morgan. I reccomended him to my 2 pack-a-day brother in law... he sucessfully quit.

good luck
steve

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
hey Daryl, i just got off the phone with the quit now number,registered, the advisors were not available so they will call me back or i will call them back tomorrow ( i will call them) the person was nice and courtious, am really really thankful of the info you have gathered for me, another reason to quit smoking. i will research the link tomorrow about the coverage. again, thank you so much. i know its not just me that is wanting or trying to kick this habit, everything helps all, im not saying to pester Daryl (only i can do that) but everyone in here can help each other!!!
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions