anyone quit smoking??? its not cool

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day of pall mall non-filters. I quit without patches, shots, hypnosis or diversion therapy. Your typical addiction lasts about three days of physical symptoms. In my case every time i quit I'd have a lot of congestion and an unstoppable runny nose for three days.
In 1993 when i quit I stopped the first day I noticed I had the flu. My nose was running anyway so no added hardship. I also placed that last half pack of smokes out of reach so that I couldn't light up without a conscious effort. Finally I kept that last half pack of smokes and told myself that if I ever started smoking again I had to smoke those stale ones first. At that time our co-presidents were threatening to add an extra $2.50 tax per pack so there was zero incentive to start back up smoking.
Another thing to keep in mind is the facts they give you are false. They state that five years after you quit smoking your lungs return to normal. Not exactly - ten years after I quit they told me I had a mild case of emphysema. It has definitely gotten worse since i quit smoking. I'm hoping that they told the truth about cancer risks but I have very little faith in medical science and medical practitioners. I agree that smoking is not good for anyone - although they say it can reverse the effects of parkinson's - but i suspect that some folks are more susceptible to its adverse effects. They banned smoking on airplanes due to the increased incidence of cancer in flight crews. Smoking has been banned on flights for about twenty years but the cancer rates in flight crews have not gone done. siegfried schlagrule

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Glad you made the decision to live your regular lifespan (not the short version), to feel better, and be able to (actually) smell the roses.

Quiting is not easy, use anything available to you that helps make it easer.
Be determined. Your success will be directly related to your determination. Even people with poor willpower can succeed as long as they are determined.

If you happen to give in to the urge and light up, don't let all the hard work it took to get the nicotine level in your body down go to waste. You may have given in, but don't give up. Start again right away, don't keep smoking thinking you've failed. Be determinded. You haven't failed. You're just not done yet.

I quit after 33 yrs of smoking. I started smoking when I was 12 yrs old. I wish I had quit sooner, but as they say better late than never.

Bluezman

kdye401

Oct 22, 2004
Riverside California
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000DI Whites MXT
Develop a personal relationship with God and ask him, he will take care of that and anything else in your life thats not good for you. Good luck and I'll be praying for you.

Rockfshr

May 22, 2005
Hampton Roads VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quit 5 years ago and I was a pretty heavy smoker. What I did was I picked a date, June 18th to be exact and that morning I just threw away the packs I had left and never went back. Sure there was days that weren't easy but the urge does go away. Now I don't even give it a second thought. Just remember you can be stronger than the cigs ;D

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
www.chantix.com

I got the info booklet from my doctor on this. If you want, I can scan the booklet but you may find the same info on their site. They have online support as well. Looks like a promising plan.

I have not started it yet myself but do plan on it....eventually! I have thought about quitting since 1:00am Oct. 5th 2006 just after I hung up the phone with my 16 yr old nephew who called to tell me his 44 yr old mother (my sister) just died upstairs in the bathroom. She never smoked, and only occasionally (once in a blue moon) drank. She died of a massive heart attack from Vascular and Artery disease due to many many years of untreated high blood pressure and high cholesterol. This didnt come from smoking, BUT I will soon be 40 and I have high BP & high Chol. (I'm faithfully taking my meds for this) and my father died in 2003 with emphysema. I watched him suffer his last year of life and made a promise to him to quit one day soon. I have not been able to keep that promise YET! but since my sister died with no warning (family was not aware of her medical issues) I plan on carrying out my promise. I never break a promise that I make.
Like the other's that have posted, I know I can do it and it's a matter of will power and the want to quit. It's a mind game you play with yourself. Will and determination will prevail but you have to want it for you and no one else, not even for those who you have made promises too.

One day soon I will be smoke free before I depart this world.

I wish you luck, WE CAN DO THIS!!!! ;D

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
A real good sinus infection always works.
I call it "another self destructive habit". I started 10 yrs ago (I'm 43) then quit for 5 then started for 2 then guit for 6 or so months started agien a few months back,I cant count the packs I'v thrown out the window, Stupid I know.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
while you are looking to quit,try natural american spirit cigs.
www.nascigs.com
a little more money then regular cigs but none of the extra garbage chemicals
the other company's put in to fuel the addiction.

nowwhat

Jun 1, 2006
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic lll
I quit after 50 years, Doc recommended wellbutrin 150mg, it'll be a year come july 4th, I still want one from time to time but just ignore it. Here's a trick I learned, my pattern was to light up every 20 min. so the monkey hit me every 20 min., but only lasted around 5-6 min. if I could make it through that time period I was safe for another 20 min. well the longer I stopped smoking that 20 min. streached out further and further, the monkey still scratched for 5-6 min. but he didn't return for longer and longer periods. now a year later he only comes to visit maybe twice a day and then just for a minute. I still have to be on guard But I feel I have finally got control. I only used the wellbutrin for about a month total, my wife's still a 2 pack a day person, maybe one day she'll get smart and quit, she feels like so many others that she just can't, B.S., use any method you can, it gets down to, you have to want to quit more than you want to smoke

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar
I'm 27 and smoked since I was about 15. I was off for about 2 years at one point but started partying too hard and got hooked again.
This time I've been off since New Years (cold turkey). I just didn't want to smoke anymore. Sure it was hard for the first few weeks but now I'm set. Can get on the piss with my mates and not even worry about smoking.
I can safely say I will never smoke again.
You've gotta want to do it. I hope you wanna do it for your child.
Good luck. :)

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
TeddyB1967 said:
www.chantix.com

I got the info booklet from my doctor on this. If you want, I can scan the booklet but you may find the same info on their site. They have online support as well. Looks like a promising plan.

I have not started it yet myself but do plan on it....eventually! I have thought about quitting since 1:00am Oct. 5th 2006 just after I hung up the phone with my 16 yr old nephew who called to tell me his 44 yr old mother (my sister) just died upstairs in the bathroom. She never smoked, and only occasionally (once in a blue moon) drank. She died of a massive heart attack from Vascular and Artery disease due to many many years of untreated high blood pressure and high cholesterol. This didnt come from smoking, BUT I will soon be 40 and I have high BP & high Chol. (I'm faithfully taking my meds for this) and my father died in 2003 with emphysema. I watched him suffer his last year of life and made a promise to him to quit one day soon. I have not been able to keep that promise YET! but since my sister died with no warning (family was not aware of her medical issues) I plan on carrying out my promise. I never break a promise that I make.
Like the other's that have posted, I know I can do it and it's a matter of will power and the want to quit. It's a mind game you play with yourself. Will and determination will prevail but you have to want it for you and no one else, not even for those who you have made promises too.

One day soon I will be smoke free before I depart this world.

I wish you luck, WE CAN DO THIS!!!! ;D
Do it Teddy, Ive been on the Chantix for two months now and have been smoke free for almost three weeks for the first time in 35 years ! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Thank You MD, I go back to the Dr.'s next week and I think im ready to start the program. All I can do is try it, will letcha know how it goes.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
chong2mry,

For me, smoking wasn't my problem.....but tobacco was. I was a chewer and dipper since my kid years. By 2004, it was very rare that I didn't have a dip in my mouth...all of my waking time. Sometimes I'd get up in the middle of the night and dip some Skoal. And then...in August 2004 (after my 4th hear attack) as they wheeled me in the operating room for quadruple bypass surgery, the heart surgeon looked at me and said "You've had your last dip, you hear?" This August will be 3 years....tobacco free. Lord knows a day doesn't go by that I don't crave a dip or a chew. In my college years I used to smoke a pipe, but that was easy to give up. Dipping/chewing is really a super hard addiction to conquer. With dipping, the nicotine goes directly into your blood stream, giving you a stronger rush than smoking. There are times when I'm MDng that I get the craving.....just one more dip of Skoal...and then I look down at the zipper scar that runs down my chest. The craving doesn't go away....but the will power to resist takes over.

So, chong2mry, whatever means you can muster up.........do it, my friend. But just remember.........the goal is not just to be smoke free..........the goal is to be tobacco free.
--Mel

borninok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread