What kind of paint would you choose to cover a coffee table?

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this isnt the Do It Yourself forum but I know almost every one here is a do it yourselfer. Plus have you ever seen the forum category's?
I need an inexpensive way to make it look nicer because we are a family of 3 on $0.30 over min wage
So i know theres lots of paint like Enamal, Latex, water or oil based and so on. Well my table is very disappointing to look at.
Wheres about 30% of the finish is gone. So either refinish it or paint it and I think painting would be less of a hassle. Which will hold the best?

S

stefen

Depends on age, the style, type of wood (or material) and quality of workmanship.

Striping is based on time.

Then again, if you don't give a hoot, then by all means slop some paint on it...ugly becomes uglier.

Once you determine the direction you want to go, then resolve the type of paint to use.

FYI, I just purchased an old oak tool chest that was ugly as they get...almost solid black with 75 years of oil smudges and grime.

Spent a few hours scrubbing it with a dish scrubby and a strong TSP detergent, and out of the grime a quarter=sawn tiger oak box surfaced.

A little danish oil and now have something to be proud of.

Time is the key word....and patients...

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand lightly with fairly fine sand paper 120/ or higher I prefer enamel paints avoid flat paints there not as durable oil cost more is more difficult to work with I prefer a brushed look with sanded corners spray cans are also an option if you got space to spray and good ventilation try not to use spray cans in living space it stinks is harmful to breath and tends get everywhere ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447934173.304719.jpg this is sample of sanded corners on a hutch I did maybe you can zoom to see better good luck

ga/digger

Dec 10, 2013
deep in the woods
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, flat black pinpointer lost in the flat black woods. custom digger for privet and poison ivy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what joe said
what joe sai
Sand lightly with fairly fine sand paper 120/ or higher I prefer enamel paints avoid flat paints there not as durable oil cost more is more difficult to work with I prefer a brushed look with sanded corners spray cans are also an option if you got space to spray and good ventilation try not to use spray cans in living space it stinks is harmful to breath and tends get everywhere View attachment 1237589 this is sample of sanded corners on a hutch I did maybe you can zoom to see better good luck

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I went to the hardware store today and got some more info. I told the lady i wanted to do a 2 tone sponge with almond base and sand sponge blotches.
She told me I would need to primer it paint and glaze it. Not sure what this glaze is but she said it was to give the paint a transparency look.
After adding the toll Of $10 a quart for prime, almond paint, sand paint, comes to $30 and no clue the prize of glaze. then factor in sand paper, brushes ect. I could almost buy a great condition used table lolol.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
give it sand job, clean up the dust, go to HD or lowes paint department, you will find a small shelf of "oops" paint. Give it two coats with a sand of 180 to 240 grit in between.

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I went to the hardware store today and got some more info. I told the lady i wanted to do a 2 tone sponge with almond base and sand sponge blotches.
She told me I would need to primer it paint and glaze it. Not sure what this glaze is but she said it was to give the paint a transparency look.
After adding the toll Of $10 a quart for prime, almond paint, sand paint, comes to $30 and no clue the prize of glaze. then factor in sand paper, brushes ect. I could almost buy a great condition used table lolol.

Do a search on the net for glazing. It would probably be a waste only because your using it as a table. What ever you do, Do Not use latex! Oil based paints hold up better, if you can sand the table to bare wood, stain and then polly it, that would be the best and hardest covering out of anything you could do! Good luck with your project!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate paint on wood. I would suggest sanding and applying a tung-oil finish. Formesby has a good one, that is premixed with thinner to speed the drying / curing time. It takes a little longer than slapping on some paint, but wood is beautiful and should be shown.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you just have to paint. I personally like spray paint because I think it finishes harder. So I would give it a couple coats of spray paint, flat non gloss, in maybe an expresso color. Then a light sand and at least three coats of satin polyurathane, sanding lightly and using a tack clothes between each coat. It is a lot of work but once done it will hold up to spills and wet glasses without leaving a mark.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Don't paint wood, you are hiding the beauty of it. Like said you never know what's hiding beneath the surface. I've used Formby's Refinisher on old items before, it does a nice job of blending the old finish and exposing the wood's beauty. And some tongue oil over it when done and you end up with an family treasure.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree with Jason & Dr. Syn! I love the beauty of wood! The thing now, is the stressed look...some are pretty, some are ugly as h___. I recently refinished a sewing machine bench back to it's natural wood. I had to do a lot of stripping & sanding...had 3 coats of 3 different colors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread