Metal Detecting
Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a Rock Tumbling kit, and use aquairum gravel and dish soap. Works great on clad, so I can roll it

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad you posted this Mr Digger. I'm very curious to see the answers because I'm in the market for a tumbler myself. I have SO much clad and the banks won't accept it if the coins are dark, even if they are completely clean.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my tumbler from Harbor Freight around 8 yrs ago replaced the belt this year. I normally run it twice a month once for the pennies and the next time in the silver clad. I use fish gravel about half full dump in half of cup of coins and full with water just above coins put in a couple drops of Dawn dish soap and run tumbler for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and coins is great to go thur change machine.

So for the money Harbor Freight has a good one. Watch for a sale and use their 20% off coupon and you can get it for a little over $30.....Matt

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harbor Frieght has them at a reasonable price (42.99).

I bought one last summer and have had no problems with it. My Brother-in-law paid twice as much from a local hobby store and it is made way cheaper than mine. I have a screen that has has 1/4" holes and I just screened for small gravel from my driveway. I tumble my clad then I use the discolored clad to fish vending machines for silver. I wrap the coins I get from the vending machines to roll up and put into my hobby bank account. I use the account to buy coin supplies, detector repairs, upgrades, etc. By the way out of $300 in clad I have yet to get a silver coin out of a vending machine.

Rock Tumbler, 3 Lb. - Save on this Rotary Rock Tumbler

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this one (3 lb.) and a dual drum that I bought at a yard sale. I tumble mostly rocks and my clad when it starts adding up. I found a real good recipe for clad....fill your tumbler about half full of coins, pour lemon juice in up to the top of the coins and add 3 tbl. spoons of salt. Tumble for 30-45 minutes...cleans 'em up quick! Oh yeah, I forgot....don't mix pennys with clad, tumble them separate.!:thumbsup:
Harbor Frieght has them at a reasonable price (42.99).

I bought one last summer and have had no problems with it. My Brother-in-law paid twice as much from a local hobby store and it is made way cheaper than mine. I have a screen that has has 1/4" holes and I just screened for small gravel from my driveway. I tumble my clad then I use the discolored clad to fish vending machines for silver. I wrap the coins I get from the vending machines to roll up and put into my hobby bank account. I use the account to buy coin supplies, detector repairs, upgrades, etc. By the way out of $300 in clad I have yet to get a silver coin out of a vending machine.

Rock Tumbler, 3 Lb. - Save on this Rotary Rock Tumbler

Last edited:

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harbor freight, Got the duel one when it was on sale + 20% coupon for $29. Works great

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man!! That's a good deal!! I got my dual at a yard sale for $25 and I thought that was a good deal. I sure would like to pick up the grit at a reasonable price....that stuff is like gold!!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only do my clad once a year.between 350 and 500 bucks.I use a small concrete mixer.I too use the sharp aquarium gravel,a good shot of vinegar and some(not much)dish soap.after a few hours I dump it and start clean...after bout 7 hrs its all good.

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one like this from Cabela's and it works great. tumbler.png

Ytcoinshooter

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2010
CT
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, F75 LTD SE, Whites V3i, ATPro, PI Pro, TDI Beach Hunter, CZ21, Excalibur 2 modded, Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this Lortone about 1987 or '88. It's been geat for coins. Quarters and dimes tumble together and other denominations gets tumbled separately. I use the aquarium gravel, borax hand soap and tap water.

I just cashed in $375. in clean, grit free - dug coins at a TD bank using the machine they make available free for customers. Here's the before tumbled clad dimes & quarters...how'd that nickel get in there ... ? here's the clad after 12 hours - overnight+ I still have I out 40 pounds of cents to tumble. The main thing is to have: 1) grit free 2) remove bent, cut or damaged coins. 3) zinc cents missing chunks are discarded . I still have all the those cents to finish but the effort was worth it.
I recommend a fine colander to rinse the coins and gravel and be sure the dirt won't damage the disposal or plumbing. Outside hose is ideal. Funny how timely this thread is for me!
HH!

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ytcoinshooter and this thread in general have just made me a Lortone customer. 2nd time now I have heard somebody say their has been running since the 80's.

Fish rocks and soap for 5 hours seems easy enough. I was looking at my bag of clad thinking "No damn way I am buying that much olive oil"

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread