Need advice on best Gold, Silver & possible Platinum Testing Kits at cheap prices.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Need advice on best Gold, Silver & possible Platinum Testing Kits at cheap prices.

As stated in the Title, I need advice/recommendations on the best Gold, Silver and possibly Platinum Testing Kits at cheap prices! Keep in mind that I only need Testing Kits with the Acids needed to test these metals and don't need any extra goodies (Gem Loupe, Digital Scales, Diamond Tester, etc., etc.) that some Sellers throw in to boost the prices of their' items.

I recently went to a Pawn Shop that has had Auctions the past two years to liquidate pawned items that they do not have the room for display to sell nor the time or the patience to sell them as well as Estate items that they have either purchased or allowed to be consigned to the Auction. Although this shop still loans money on a variety of items, they have converted most of the shop to a Gun Shop with mostly rare, hard to find and unique firearms. Last year, items sold at a fraction of their value including tool, jewelry and guns and the auction this year was no exception. First, I purchased a cardboard box lid overfilled with children's jewelry and some costume jewelry for $2.50 plus a 10% Buyer's Premium and then bought 7 plastic boxes of costume jewelry at $2.50 each plus the 10% Buyer's Premium. The plastic boxes are about 10" x 14" and was filled earrings, bracelets and some pendants. So far, we have found an award pin with a synthetic Ruby that is 2.0 grams of 10k Gold, a 7 1/4" long bracelet that is 7.0 grams of supposedly (marked) 10k Gold but looks like 18k Gold and a Tri-Color Gold 6 1/2' long bracelet that is 4.0 grams of 14k Gold. There are many more earrings and some bracelets that appear to be Gold but have no markings, one piece that may be Platinum and another that may be Silver.

Any help you can give me will be highly appreciated! I don't have a lot of money to spend with Christmas coming up, having 3 daughters and 5 grandkids to buy gifts for and all but my youngest daughter, live with me. Although I will come out way ahead on the purchase of the costume jewelry, I am hoping for a bigger windfall to help with Christmas. Thanks!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, 100 views in almost 4 days and no one has a recommendation! Don't tell me, you want me to send the jewelry to you to test, right!!??:icon_scratch:

Frank

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I myself have been thinking about a test kit. Have not found any jewelry yet. But here's one that seems to meet your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/Precious-Metals-Testing-Silver-Platinum/dp/B000OVHWLK

Hope this helps!

At that price I wouldn't even think twice about not buying it if I needed one. It's about a 10th of the price that I paid for a complete kit back in the late 80's.That kit had a larger stone, glass vials of acid, and assayed test feeler gauges to show the comparison between the golds.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have that test kit. Of course it was my first time using ANY test kit - I had to learn how to use it.

First lesson - USE THE STONE and do not put the acids on the object to be tested. For one thing, the acids stain the object tested, and to deliver the punch line - we had inaccurate test results. Using the stone, it nails the test.

Another thing we learned from Youtube is that using the 18k gold test on silver provides faster and more accurate results than using the silver test acid.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
huntsman, the problem with the request were "the best" and the cheapest) In my experience you can't have both.
I bought one on Amazon for less than 10 bucks. Three grades of gold. silver and platinum. I'm not it's the best out there but I wasn't needing the best.
In the end they all use mostly the same acids.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to thank everyone for the advice and comments! I will likely purchase the one recommended by "NC Digger" if my' Amazon Card is still good.

hvacker... I think most folks understood what I meant! The best Test Kit for a cheaper price which means the best deal for a decent Test Kit but cheaper than most other Test Kits. Just because some Test Kits are higher priced, does not mean that they are better or the best!

Frank

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I stated in the other post, I received my kit just now. The hunk of metal tested .500 silver (line turns green). Later, I'm gonna try 18k acid on it like Deepseeker ADS stated. The kit is well worth the money....$13.22 shipping included.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread