Metal detecting beaches on St Thomas legal or not?

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
hello t-netters,

Going to St Thomas in december and would love to bring a detector with me to beach comb. I started to do research on this a while back when planning the trip and it seemed iffy. some people say it's legal to detect the beaches and others say that local authority prohibits. Anyone actually detected there and if so, did you get hassled at all? any info would be great as i just really want some time to get more familiar with my machine. thanks

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should go to the beach and shallow water forum at this site you would probably get more info. Good Luck! I hope you find a lot of the shiny yellow stuff!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When you say that your research seemed "iffy", what do you mean by that ? I take that to mean you didn't find any express/specific "no md'ing" rule, right ? Otherwise, it wouldn't have been "iffy" results on your research afterall, eh ? Then that being the case, that you have no "no md'ing rule": I authorize you to detect there. If anyone asks, you're looking for the ring your wife lost their yesterday. :headbang:

Hey, why haven't you been back to the "certain" beach you and I hit awhile back ? It's had some good days since then, porking out more barbers and some seated since then. But as of yesterday, sanded back in again. Not sure what it'll do in the coming days. But if you're still in this area, drop me a line @ Saturday, because I'm going to be reconn'ing it around 1pm-ish.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been there 6X as my mother owns property there....I have seen at least 10-15 beach and water MDers each time I have been there....at any given moment.

They have marked signs where it is not allowed as there are some beaches that are semi-private. Don't go try to detect the castle either...off limits and so busy with tourists you would not want to even if it was.

Police are so laid back there it is crazy....even if you were to slip up and hit a place you were not supposed to be...they will buy you a drink and explain the rules on where you can go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread