Reasearched some "Chicken colonel buttons" ......

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reasearched some "Chicken colonel buttons" ......

and got a very good idea as to who may have lost them ! Years ago while searching around an old foundation my father found 2 'Chicken Colonel" buttons.Then years later i found several more in the same area.Several years ago i was told that the site of the old foundation had been the training grounds for the local militia during the war of 1812.I have hunted this site pretty hard and have found numerous coins and relics. Last winter i started to search for any info as to who may have lived there.I first found that the leader of the militia was Colonel David Shaw(1750-1837),today i went to the library and asked for any info they had on David Shaw.Within min's i was shown a copy of a paper that Colonel shaw had filed to receive a pension when he was 81 years old.I also got a copy of it's acceptance from Winfield Scott "commissioner" This letter informed me that he lived at the site from 1796 till his death in 1837.I also found his gravesite and I'm going to view that tomorrow and thank him personally ! ;)
I also was given an old newspaper article from 1903 that tells of a man plowing his fields and finding 32 gold,8 coppers,and 37 silver coins "about the size of a half dollar" all British . The gold coins were King George III,silver-George II with dates from 1761-1769.This site is just about 4-5 miles looking out my back door ! ;D Always be nice to your local historian ! ;D

Attachments

• Mvc-002f.jpg
    Mvc-002f.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 138

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Reasearched some "Chicken colonel buttons" ......

Excellent finds and great research there Terry ! Your diligence really paid off. Would love to see and hear more about your site and the history! Thanks for sharing....and keep digging that site. I bet there is alot more there waiting for you!

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

Neat finds and congrats. It sounds like some cool hishtory. Sorry you didn't find the coins, but keep looking they may have dropped one.

Burt

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wildrider said:
Neat finds and congrats. It sounds like some cool hishtory. Sorry you didn't find the coins, but keep looking they may have dropped one.

Burt
Actualy I've found numerous coins there ! Only 1 silver 1/2 real,but many king George coppers and large cents.Also found a 1804 1/2 cent. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread