B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are all free to do as we please. Me, I remember cleaning a nice old Indian Head penny with a pencil eraser more than 50 years ago, and taking it to a coin shop to see how much comic book money I could get for it. The shop owner then proceeded to educate me about how I had ruined that penny's value by cleaning it so carelessly. No comic books for me! Lesson learned.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting post. I usually identify a coin as silver and slip it into my coin pocket. All clad coins go into a "Finds" pouch. I always check for key dates when I get the silver coins home. If it is a common date, I will clean it with water and baking soda and then put it in a coin folder.
I have never sold any of the coins that I have recovered.
I did make some bulk Mercury Dimes purchases. They cost about $1.50 each and were sold on average for $5 each. These were common date dimes that I put in coin folders.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm out here in so cal mtns.A large cent is a big friggin deal.I've only found one.It was black as coal.I chucked it in the pool acid I have.got a call,forgot....well it ended up 2 hrs instead of 2 mins.Damn thing is beautiful to me and I'll keep it forever.even having a bezel made to wear it on a necklace.

I believe it is a find....if ya wanna keep it,clean it and enjoy it.If ya wanna sell it...play by the rules.

be happy and enjoy....rub if ya want...take care if ya want

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Well, they came from the ground, so I guess they've already seen a bit of abrasion from the soil, so just be as careful as you can after that

If you dont want to see people rubbing their detecting coin finds, DON'T watch any YouTube vids lol

Ive done it myself in the past, but I try to preserve the coin as best I can without too much harsh treatment

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are all free to do as we please. Me, I remember cleaning a nice old Indian Head penny with a pencil eraser more than 50 years ago, and taking it to a coin shop to see how much comic book money I could get for it. The shop owner then proceeded to educate me about how I had ruined that penny's value by cleaning it so carelessly. No comic books for me! Lesson learned.

I am sure that you now know that you should not clean the penny, and that you had kept the comic books that you had purchased back them, because in mint condition, they are worth a lot of money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread