Gold Coins-Do they settle deeper than silver and copper??? What is your deepest?

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dowsing/Divining rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Do gold coins generally settle deeper in the ground compared to silver and copper coins because of golds higher weight/mass?

What is your deepest coin find that you think was dropped on the ground( 6", 12", 3 ft, etc??)

I have just bought a bigger coil that will go a lot deeper than my stock coil and I hunt a "pounded out" site where an old town used to be (it is now just a large plowed field with no signs that it was ever a town.)

My hope is that I will be detecting in a deeper soil layer than previous detectorists. All info and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
A question I've always wanted a definitive answer to is, do metal objects actually 'sink' in the soil?
If anyone answers yes, please elborate and cite some proof or back it up with indisputable evidence

OP
OP
M

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard that coins "sink" due to rain drops. I don't know how they would "sink" in more arid regions??

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In un-disturbed moist soils (like park turf), it's pretty much a "given" that the older the coin is, the deeper it tends to be. Conversely coins in the top inch or two, are higher odds at being clad. Sure flukes exist, but as a general rule, deeper = older. But the debate is out there as to whether this is d/t "sink" or "cover" or ... whatever.

However, for other types soil, this doesn't hold true. Like for dry hardpack ghost townsy type sites, I've found seateds and gold coins that were as shallow as modern drops (ie.: in the first inch). And of course in disturbed soils (plowed fields, old-town demolition sites, beach erosion, etc...), there is no rhyme or reason to depth-to-age.

As for the whether or not gold coins are necessarily going to be deeper (d/t they're denser/heavier): They would be about what you'd expect from a fishing sinker or lead hem-weight. Because lead and gold have close to the same density. So if you're still getting lead, then a gold coin can likewise be at those depths (if the type hunting were stratified by age/weight).

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone answers yes, please elborate and cite some proof or back it up with indisputable evidence

Coins definitely sink around here, mainly due to the frost heave. The theory that coins get covered up is partially true, but they also sink.

I recently found a 1978 gold class ring that was 9 inches down. There's no way that ring was covered with 9 inches of leaves, dirt and so on in 37 years. Maybe a couple of inches of mulch from leaves, etc., but not possible to add more than that in probably 30 years or less (the ring has wear and nicks from being worn for a few years).

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I get the part of top vegetation dying off and building up and creating layers compacting and then creating depth (for lack of a better term) over a matter of time,,,,in a temperate climate (seasons) frost and all things like freezing and thawing
Then theres places with little or no changes temperature wise, I can't see rain being the impetus of a metal object being forced deeper
Then there's the question of places way older than north America that have used gold as money, they still find gold coins in the range of everything else they find

Laws of physics and gravity exist but they sure don't explain everything in the world of detecting even rings, lead, and gold coins and their depth over time

Still looking for proof!

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would strongly advise that if you are hunting a trashy old town area, a smaller coil will do you better than a bigger coil.

I see you have an MXT, the Eclipse 5.3 coil always served me well.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sold on the whole coins sinking thing either....although I have no counter argument. When people find Roman era coins at 6 inches and then a 20 year old clad at 2 feet in the same area and soil types...it makes a guy wonder what is going down...down there.

My 1943 merc dime was found very close to a 1930-1940's tax token in a very well manicured park. Both 3-4 inches deep. I will assume they were dropped together since they share similar dates. I also assume they were not dropped recently....as who carries both of those in their pockets and then loses them at a park? Not many. I did not even know what a tax token was until i found it and Googled it. My other 1930's tax token was also 3-4 inches deep in hard pack.

Guy near me found a 1880 cent at 6 inches...etc etc on and on.

Old does not always = deep. Deep does not always = old.

(I'm sure there are a few rad old objects laying a foot or 2 deep....but I sure as hell ain't digging them)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rate of sinking may also be determined by whether or not a coin is on edge or lying flat. A coin on edge will sink faster than one that is lying flat (less resistance by way of surface area).

The weight of a coin is a factor as well. I've found three 1/2 reales from the 1700's and all were 4 inches down or less. I've also found nickels from the 1970's that were 8 or 9 inches down.

Lot of things at work, but dying off vegetation is not a big factor. Frost heaves, wet or dry soil, type of soil, roots and rocks in the way and many other factors determine how fast or slow a coin sinks.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Plowed ground is an entirely different set of rules. Mogano534 admits he's hunting plowed ground. I'm assuming it is being plowed with a moldboard plow. At the depth of the plow bottom there will develop a plow pan, or hard pan, which will eventually become so hard it will be impervious to water. At that point crops don't do well, and the farmer will go in and subsoil the ground, which breaks up the hard pan, and would let stuff go deeper. In the mean time, every year the plow turns over the ground, bringing some stuff to the surface, and other stuff turned under, separating stuff that starts out together by many feet, sometimes hundreds of feet. Then the plowed/worked up ground has to be worked down for planting, so he will go over it again, with probably a disc harrow, breaking up big clods, and finally he might go over it a final time time with a harrow, busting clods and leveling the ground. Some farmers no longer plow, I've been away from it for a long time, but it was called "no till planting," and they would scratch the ground and plant in the stubble. Anyhow if you are hunting plowed ground, you might find stuff on top, or to the depth of the plow pan. Unless the ground is trashy and you need to separate signals, I would use the larger coil.

OP
OP
M

Moegano534

May 10, 2014
Owingsville and Ashland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plowed ground is an entirely different set of rules. Mogano534 admits he's hunting plowed ground. I'm assuming it is being plowed with a moldboard plow. At the depth of the plow bottom there will develop a plow pan, or hard pan, which will eventually become so hard it will be impervious to water. At that point crops don't do well, and the farmer will go in and subsoil the ground, which breaks up the hard pan, and would let stuff go deeper. In the mean time, every year the plow turns over the ground, bringing some stuff to the surface, and other stuff turned under, separating stuff that starts out together by many feet, sometimes hundreds of feet. Then the plowed/worked up ground has to be worked down for planting, so he will go over it again, with probably a disc harrow, breaking up big clods, and finally he might go over it a final time time with a harrow, busting clods and leveling the ground. Some farmers no longer plow, I've been away from it for a long time, but it was called "no till planting," and they would scratch the ground and plant in the stubble. Anyhow if you are hunting plowed ground, you might find stuff on top, or to the depth of the plow pan. Unless the ground is trashy and you need to separate signals, I would use the larger coil.

You are "right on the money" with your description of the plowing/farming practices in my area. This area has been plowed and harrowed for around 60+ years and now the owner has switched to "no till." It does have a plow pan in it at varying depths. I have found a 1783 1/2 Reale at about 4 inches and a 1856 seated dime at about eight inches in these fields. I just like the idea of getting down to a "layer" of original soil that has not been disturbed by plow or detectorist. Any advice is greatly appreciated. PS: I love my MXT with Sun Ray pinpointer, but I am seriously considering upgrading to an XP Deus. Any suggestions??

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
An observation where I just put 2 & 2 together....

In 1981 I had permission to search a virgin Boy Scout camp in Northwestern Ohio dating back to the very late 1800's.

I've noted several times here that on one visit I dug 22 straight silver dimes, with the deepest several at 10", and the remainder were in about the 6" depth.

This was in a gathering / parade ground type area of good black pound cake soil.

Outside this gathering area near the edge of the woods, I dug an 1894 Indian Head at about 1 1/2" deep - popped it up with my screwdriver. Same soil as the gathering area, but far less traffic...

I'd say that the more traffic an area has, the deeper targets are pushed into the ground...

Seems to make sense....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... coins can and do sink...
I think it all depends on soil type/condition... and moisture.
The more moisture such as heavy rains and flooding increases depth of heavier objects in soils...
Like liquid faction in a way...
the soils/sands displace from under items that are submerged / suspended.

For example...
When I work "wet" sand versus moist...
In moist or dry coins are "stable"...
When in wet or "soaked" ... it moves.

Just an observation from someone who has detected a couple of times. :)

AND PS>...
I believe that heavy metals over time will reach bedrock if moisture conditions are right...
In other words..
The more moisture / water they are exposed to over time...
The deeper they go...
Like gold in the stream...
If not caught...
down to bedrock it goes.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I can tell they get up and leave.

I have yet to find a gold coin.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I can tell they get up and leave. I have yet to find a gold coin.

Charlie, I was going to put a like on your post, but I can't like the fact that neither of us have ever found a gold coin!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might also point out...
2 things...

#1. NOTHING in this world stays the same... the only thing "constant" in this world is change.
#2. Theories must never contradict empirical facts.

SO... With these 2 things in "mind"...
We could safety deduce that ALL situations are different.
But there is a "commonality" brought forth by "physics". :P

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would say that about 90% of the gold coins I have found were less than a foot deep.

But a couple hundred or so were deeper than that.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Now that the physicists, geologists,and hydrlogists have had their say who is convinced?
There's always going to be an opinion for one or the other way; always going to be a supporter from each side of the fence snd no answers that are right (or wrong)
Only solution is to get out there now, if it all sinks, it's going to be gone to the depths in the years to come, get it while it's in range lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol... they did not leave...
They are one inch deeper than your coils go :P

I can believe that.

Like I can count on items going on sale two days after I purchase them.

Back to original question - I don't think gold sinks deeper or faster. I think coins stay in place and the soil builds up over them; so composition or weight doesn't matter. There is some settling but mostly it's what people, plants, frosts and floods do to the soil around them that gets them to where they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread