Jooshwa

Nov 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to this site but had a few questions I thought I'd throw out there. When I was 10 I found an arrow head in the foundation of our house as it was being built. My question is, does anyone know if arrowheads are typically isolated from other artifacts or would it be worth going around. I have also found broken pottery in our backyard. Another question I had is what is normally done with large amounts of iron in the ground? I have tried detecting where I live but the amount of iron in the ground is crazy! I'll get a good signal and dig it up just to find a broken piece of a plow. I'll walk 5 feet and will get the same thing over and over. Any suggestions or comments? And I live in Virginia btw

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds to me like you should research the history of this property. If that much iron is there, it should be good stuff to. You just have to shift through it. Good luck.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes arrow heads will be isolated,for example a native lost it on a hunt.But allot of times where there is one there is more keep looking!.Not sure what kind of pottery you mean you are finding but sometimes a site will overlay a older one for example,A colonial homestead might have been built on what use to be a Native village or camp and now your house might be there?.Now about that God awful big Iron,don't feel bad we all do it.Sometimes you just have to dig it to see what it is.Sounds like you have a good place to hunt.gl-HH

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes it's just a case where you just have to dig all the iron to get the better targets, collect up some of the pottery and post it up along with the arrowhead, there's a lot of very knowledgable folks that will give a pretty good idea of what time frame they come from.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
#1. History #2 If you find one arrowhead, you know there was probably a Indian settlement within the area, so there's probably more. #3 If you have alot of iron , don't give up. But you have to have a decent MD to seperate the good targets from the bad. Members here can chime in on there favorites. I hunt alot of iron and trashy area's, and I use an AtPro. Depends on your budget.

There has to be some good stuff in there somewhere! Good Luck on your hunts!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

Jooshwa

Nov 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So for anyone interested I actually found out the Indians in my area were the Monacan. I was wondering if anyone recognizes the piece I am holding as Native American. Sorry for the subpar quality. It was much better before I uploaded it. image.jpg

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you have the best of both worlds there bud.Not sure about the piece you are holding,might be a old piece of a crock?Try asking on the north American Native artifacts forum,someone will be able to help you out.Nice point!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread