T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Skippy....I tried the "spit" test and it didn't work. Probably because I was drinking coffee. My wife "googled" it and found another test. Place an ice cube directly on the unknown piece and if it instantly starts to melt, it's silver. It worked!! Ice cube instantly started to melt!! Here's some pics of the piece....it weighs 2.55 ounces.:headbang:

005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you bend it? It looks like lead to me. I found pieces of this several times around utility poles and finally realized it's probably solder, either from underground cables, or plumbing, or something, not really sure of the source, but I find it in what looks like puddles which have cooled.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In reply to both posts: It does not bend like lead. Received my test kit just now. Scratched the piece on the stone and applied acid....it's .500 silver. Also, it is not magnetic. I thought it was slag at first too. I guess just a low grade silver!! The acid turned green (.500). Thanks for the help fellars!!:thumbsup:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
For non 24k gold just put bleach on it,bleach will dull the shine.wash it of quickly though bleach will attack the other metals in the piece your testing.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In reply to both posts: It does not bend like lead. Received my test kit just now. Scratched the piece on the stone and applied acid....it's .500 silver. Also, it is not magnetic. I thought it was slag at first too. I guess just a low grade silver!! The acid turned green (.500). Thanks for the help fellars!!:thumbsup:

Probably silver soldier. I have some 50 and 60 percent silver solder out in my shop right now.

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
FYI: To anyone who thinks that green = 50% silver, this is false.

Green means not silver.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, you need to acid test the item itself, vs a scratch test.

File into the item on a flat section. Place a drop of the acid on the filed part. Watch it under good lighting with a magnifier. Be sure to wait up to 1 minute for a reaction. Look for bubbling and turning green. If this happens = not silver (or extremely low silver content).

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been always led to believe that red is what to look for, green seems just mean or = to brass/copper base.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions