Post your lf I knew then what I know now stories.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Post your lf I knew then what I know now stories.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2011
    northwest coast of ohio
    41 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Post your 'lf I knew then what I know now' stories.

l'll start:
    When I was at the age when the most important things lived under rocks in the creek my friend and I spent a lot of time haunting a small creek near his house. This creek, as I said, small but with a few larger pools. We hunted the same areas a lot and I had noticed a different shaped object on the bottom of one of the pools on several occasions. I never paid much attention because the most important things lived under the rocks or jumped in the water when you spooked them.
    One time one of the kids from the trailer park came with us. He took one look at the object in that pool and was gone. Soon he came back with his much older brother. I have been calling this a pool but it was more like an oversized puddle maybe 16 inches deep. He got the rusted muddy thing out of the puddle and left. I don't think he had much use for little kids.
    After we were done creeking we went over to this other kids house and there was older brother scrubbing something in a bucket of kerosene. What it was, he told me, was a German Lugar. As I remember it couldn't have been in the water very long because it was cleaning up pretty good. He was trying to get the action working. If I knew then......
    Another time, when I was much older - maybe late twentys I took my family to an island in Lake Erie for a short vacation. A friend had built a cottage on this island, we had done the excavating really cheap, and he let me use the cottage for free.
    There were no real beaches there but there was a place at the water's edge where the water had washed the soil away and there was a gravelly area. It was a small area, maybe only 6'long and16" wide. I was looking around there one day and noticed some very small donut shaped thing mixed with the gravel. I picked one up and thought "I wonder what kind of animal would make a shell like that in this lake?". I was going to pick some up before we left but never did. I think there must have been at least a dozen of them from what I could see.
    I've always looked on beaches as I now live very near some of them. I never find donut shaped things. Then not long ago, lurking on tnet I ran across a thread about pre-historic stone beads, small ones. If I knew then.........

us
    Dec 2015
    Arvada, Colorado
    47 times
    Relic Hunting
    I wouldn't have gotten married till I retired from the Navy!
    Loco-Digger likes this.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11673 times
    Metal Detecting
    I would have put fewer gum/baseball cards in my bike spokes and more in a strong box.

I would have shot fewer bottles at the dump near the Kilmer's Swamp Root factory where I grew up.

I would NOT have set my G.I. Joes up in the back yard and shot them all up with BBs.

I would have bought a lot of Apple and Home Depot stock when it first went public.

I would have asked my Dad to take me fishing more.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5183 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    My girlfriend bought me a Radio Shack metal detector for Christmas in 1988. She thought I might have fun with it. I used it a few times, but never found one coin with it. Just dug up a lot of trash. I sold it at a yard sale a few years later. I started metal detecting again in April 2013 and have been doing it ever since.

If I had stuck it out and found a few coins back then, everything would have been different. I wonder how many silver coins and relics I would have found if I hadn't wasted those 24 years in between metal detectors...

Dennis

Feb 2013
    East tennessee
    Garrett
    85 times
    Relic Hunting
    Been hunting Civil War relics for past 35 years. Ruined a lot, A LOT, of relics because of my lack of knowlege of preserving them. Not all recipes for preservation are good ones. Cleaning and preserving are two seperate things. Over cleaning can ruin some artifacts. Should I thank you for reminding me? Well okay, thanks for your post.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17977 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE0007.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	1243098

That's me in about 1951 or '52 standing in front of the log house built in about 1803 by my maternal ancestors. At the other end of the house, not shown on this picture, was an added room. My great grandfather was a jack of all trades, and a photographer... That added room was full of crates of photographic plates on glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_plate

We were little, my cousins and I. We'd take handfuls of those glass plates up into the woods and throw rocks at them.

None survived, we destroyed them all
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; Dec 05, 2015 at 05:36 AM.
    Limitool, lastleg, ogoat and 1 others like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6020 times
    Cache Hunting
    ... would have eaten less, exercised more.
    DeepseekerADS and myfantasia1 like this.
    "When under trial, let no one say: 'I am being tried by God.' For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone. . . . Do not be misled, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, coming down from the Father of the celestial lights, who does not vary or change like the shifting shadows." --- James 1:13, 16, 17

A few of my favorite pix: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221

us
    Dec 2014
    Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
    Fisher CZ7 Pro
    869 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post

Name:	IMAGE0007.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	1243098

That's me in about 1951 or '52 standing in front of the log house built in about 1803 by my maternal ancestors. At the other end of the house, not shown on this picture, was an added room. My great grandfather was a jack of all trades, and a photographer... That added room was full of crates of photographic plates on glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_plate

We were little, my cousins and I. We'd take handfuls of those glass plates up into the woods and throw rocks at them.

None survived, we destroyed them all
    ==============================================
    ARRRRGH,,,
    Where is that DISLIKE button anyway?
    I have pretty much the same tales of loss, misplace and destruction al all here who took time to post.
    But I REALLY wish I would have kept my MUSCLECARS.
    Deep sigh
    DeepseekerADS and myfantasia1 like this.

Oct 2013
    2 times
    i would have bought a bunch of the original Star Wars action figures back in the late 70s.
    myfantasia1 and Tom Bigbee like this.

us
    Brian

Nov 2015
    N/W MS
    Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
    815 times
    Coins and Relics
    Wouldn't have spent $20 on batteries last week before running across a box containing these (all of which tested good/new).

Is there a TV show called "Battery Hoarders"?

Name:	PC050001.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	1243189

I'd also started a post regarding switching to rechargables. Guess I just saved myself some $$

Name:	PC050002.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	1243190

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    14424 times
    Lived in Colorado in the 50's, Florida in the 60's.....before I got into detecting & treasure hunting...
    I would still like to know who the diver in Florida was that gave my mom the piece of eight to give to me '64-65.
    myfantasia1 likes this.

us
    Just Some YouTube Dude

Feb 2015
    Central California
    Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
    1818 times
    Born 1975 in California...until I moved to Colorado in 2000. Been here ever since...and have grown to love gold prospecting and then later "general" MDing.

Knowing what I know now about prospecting and MDing at 40....I would have loved to have known at 16. All those summer back-country trips and all those old 1800's buildings near the cobblestone filled rivers....all makes sense now. Oh the fun I could have been having.
    myfantasia1 likes this.

us
    Sorry Honey, I canít. Iíve got plans with my metal detector.

Nov 2013
    Mountain Maryland
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
    14182 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I was born and raised in Plymouth Ma... all of my friends and family had houses that were super old, and mine was the best of all... Had a huge backyard, that before then had been the neighborhood landfill.... I moved to FL 20 years ago, and only been MD'ing for about two years.. I can only imagine the number of Pine Tree coins, cobs, shillings, buckles, etc... I'd have dug by now,but instead I get all wet finding Mercury dimes.
    excav and myfantasia1 like this.
    EVERY COIN, SILVERS, AND TOKENS FOUND IN FLORIDA I SOLD...STARTING FRESH IN MARYLAND

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    13132 times
    Metal Detecting
    wow, well dating Marilyn Monroe was a waste!

buying all the $300 kruggerands would have been good

I guess selling the rights to my design of the corvette was less than ideal

us
    we exist,and we are watching you

Nov 2011
    so.cal.mtns.
    garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
    3400 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would have saved all the money I ever spent on partying and women....so I could spend it all right now on partying and women
    Limitool, wainzoid, excav and 10 others like this.
    I dont care which machine you use...you're gonna dig trash.
    an extra thousand bucks aint gonna solve that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links