I don't have any to bury :sad10:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Seems that the generation that went through the depression (who would now be approaching 100) had that mindset. On several posse-commissioned hunts I've done for people, the story was earily the same: Typically someone (their father, grandfather, etc...) was thought to have buried stuff , and now the family was looking for it. And when you put the story together, get the age of the patriarch who's passed away, it's seemingly someone who'd gone through the depression era (when banks had failed).

Another few times it's been younger people though (persons who came of age in the 1950s or whatever). So perhaps some people even-to-this-day still do it ? And while you say banks aren't fail-safe, yet they are insured, which is something that wasn't the case during the depression. Sure some people don't put much faith in the "federally insured" signs/notices at all banks today, but .... just sayin', the era of "not trusting banks" is as much present now, as it was in our grandparents generation.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More people blindly trust banks because they never lost their life savings to one before. People are still "burying" money, the smart ones are even converting it to PMs before burying it.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More people blindly trust banks because they never lost their life savings to one before. People are still "burying" money, the smart ones are even converting it to PMs before burying it.
Yup....that silver round may be able to buy you a loaf of bread some day!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like I hear about stuff mainly before the 60s what caused lots of people to stop, banks aren't that failsafe even today.

Credit cards, home mortgages, car leases.

Now we spend our money before we have it so there is nothing to bury.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
The thing to bury is your sluiced gold. The size fraction from about 10 to 50 mesh. No package. Mixed in and then covered with a bunch of magnetic black sands.

Anyone finds that with a detector will turn away as soon as they find the magnetics and probably wouldn't know what was mixed up under it anyway.

You can always pan it out when you want it back.

If you go too big (nuggets flakes and pickers) someone might figure it out. Too small and hard to recover. Pick the size range that works for you.

Talk about property value!

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Why hide/bury something that's worthless?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still being buried today, drug dealers, thieves and people that hate banks. Problem for us is Tupperware, darn crook's today wont use a metal bucket :laughing7:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People still hide their valuables. Burying it isn't always the preferred option. I've found as many caches above the ground as below. Successful cache hunters are good researchers and students of psychology.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure they have not or some. But what good is money in a total global melt down??? I did last year search a old family home site for a friend that the rumor was his grandfather buried gold on the property. Never found it of course, and not any hit close to gold.

I guess what you are referring to is mainly caches. You may one day find a jar of coinage but I doubt much more than that for sure.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always thought people started burying their valuables after the Great Depression. That was before banks were FDIC insured and most with anything in the banks lost their life savings.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always thought people started burying their valuables after the Great Depression. That was before banks were FDIC insured and most with anything in the banks lost their life savings.
Yes, your savings are insured by the FDIC, up to $250,000.

FDIC insurance is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States government.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I still bury mine after its been converted to precious metals. And yes there is a very detailed map in my safe for my wife & kids. They know how to find it before we sell our property. And no you cant have my address !! I am not from the depression era either. I just don't believe in the strength or purchasing power of the U.S. Dollar. Even though banks are insured etc. etc., if they or the dollar ever fail, you will have to stand in lines for days, & jump thru hoops to get what is rightfully yours, if you get it at all. Jason in Enid, & T.C. from above said it best. I'm with them.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one thing not mentioned yet is the later generations are just too darned lazy to go out & dig a hole to bury their valuables in. Now they can't figure out how to use a shovel while texting on their Iphones. The coming generations won't have anything left to cache! Gotta have the $125 tennie boppers with the dayglow shoe laces that last only 2 weeks and the newest Iphone every couple of months because ........... wait for it!............... Everyone else has it / them!!

Think I'm kidding!?!? Neighbors kid just got a pair of $100 tennie boppers about a month ago. He was begging for another pair the other day, because they were "ragged looking". I winked at his mom & told him I've got a solution for his dilemma. Walked over to my house grabbed the bottle of 409 & a rag, handed them to him and said there ya go start scrubbing the ragged off em. His Dad broke up! Shook my hand and said thanks a million! (The look on the kids face was a cache worth to me!)

But YES there are still newer caches out there, just fewer of them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who said they stopped ?

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are still hiding money and valuables even now. Recently several hoards totaling in the tens of thousands of dollars were found at a mans house in my town after he was hospitalized. He had it stashed all over the place...in the woodpile etc. Mostly I just hide mine in the stock market now (401K), where I'm afraid to even look at my balances.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions