Had permission

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well I had the first really bad experience last night since I got my metal detector. A friend and I got permission to detect a house built in 1898 on what was prior to that a Civil war Horse stable site. The ground was original grade and there had not been any ground work done since the house was built. We pulled up and got out of our cars and gathered our stuff and headed to the yard of the house. An older gentleman that lived next door happened to be outside and he stopped us and asked us what we were doing. By talking to him we learned when the house had been built, that he had lived in the house next door for 80 years!! and that he had never seen anyone with a metal detector on the property. He also stated that at the back of the property where his yard and the yard we were going to detect meets, he had found a lot of rusty "square looking" nails and one time had even found half of a horse shoe when he was planting some plants in the ground. My friend and I got really excited because a Civil War fort used to be about half- a block down the same street and it had all been turned into private property and we just knew we were about to find something good!

Well five minutes into the search I am in the gravel driveway when I get a signal and start gently sifting the gravel because my machine indicated the target wasn't very deep when a guy in a convertible drives up. He YELLS at me what the h#ll are you doing? I stood up and walked over toward his car and politely told him that we were metal detectorists and that we had gotten permission from the Lawyer that owned the property to detect there. He then stated, "The lawyer doesn't own this property I do." UH OH! So he asked me and my friend who we were and what our names were and I told him and he became more irrate as the seconds ticked by. I have some business cards I made up with my info on it and I handed him one of them. He refused to take it and knocked it out of my hand. He then said "Who the h#ll do you think you are just coming onto my property and using your coin machine? I can't believe the nerve of you guys." At that point I told him I was very sorry and that we would leave. His response was "You da&n right you are going to leave and you are going to leave now." This was said in a scream, this also got the attention of the neighbor and his wife. Anyway we were trying our best to get out of the place and I was appologizing like crazy and this man got more and more irrational as the seconds ticked by. He yelled at us as we crossed the street to our car and were loading our stuff and was yelling at us when we drove away. The neighbor guy and his wife just shook their head and waved at us as we drove off.

Man what a nutcase!!! Well I did call the lawyer that lives in the house immediately after leaving and filled him in. The lawyer is buying the property from this guy and he wasn't very happy to hear the story. He said he would work it all out and call us when he had. I told him I wouldn't come back unless he was going to be there the whole time. He said that he would work something out with me! Man what a bummer. This was the first really promising site for me and my friend to find some relics and we got ran off. Just remember that if someone approaches and challenges you reply politely, stay friendly, and leave. We lost permission to hunt that area for now but the elderly neighbor called me late last night (I gave him a card) and told me he had talked to another neighbor that had lived in the same neighborhood for seventy-five years and that that neighbor wanted to meet with us and talk to us about potentially giving us permission to search his yard and the gentleman who I gave my card to. Seems the original neighbor gentleman was very impressed with the way I handled myself in the situation. He told me on the phone, "Young people today just don't respect others but the way you handled yourself proved to me that you respect others and their property, I like that." So a bad situation may turn out not to be too bad but I am glad I read on this forum how to handle such a situation or I may have made a real mess out of the situation.

Remember you may have permission from some one to detect a location but if challenged and they are not available your best course of action is to leave and work it out later. Just thought I would share.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post.

You handled it correctly and it may turn out to be a blessing in disquise with the referral from the neighbor. Staying on the high ground as you did shows restraint and class and is good for our hobby.

Jim

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Good job! You did handle yourself well, that counts for a lot these days (as shown by the elderly neighbor's call).

It kinda sounds like the elderly neighbor was fed up with the screamer, too.

ya did good :)

HH
Nan

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say congrats for not loosing your cool with a guy screaming at ya. Just remember Good things come to those who wait....and it looks like good things are coming your way.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
On the one hand I wanna say good going way to represent, on the other hand I woulda knocked the jerks block off. >:( and then left not so politely. ;D

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Wow, some people. At least you took it well and did the right thing. Arguing would have just made him madder and more irrational (if that were possible). Good Luck with your future hunt when the Lawyer works everything out.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Well handled. Keep the new buyer's name and info and wait till he officially owns it... then go back.

steve

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you might have got caught in the middle of a lawyer who owns a tax certificate on the property vs the original owner who owes back taxes? The County will let an individual purchase a tax certificate for back taxes on a property with past due taxes. The certificate is in the amount of the tax lien. If the original owner doesn't come forth and pay the tax lien within a given time, then the property reverts to the person owning the certificate. When I was a Code Enforcement Official we ran into that all the time. The purchaser of a tax certificate will professes to own the property when in fact it hasn't been foreclosed on. This is another means of the government taking your personal property much like eminent domain, but not as widely known. If that were the case I can understand why the owner was upset, but not to the extent this guy was. He was just down right rude, crude and obnoxious. If this had happened to a few MDers I know he would have been picking his teeth up off the sidewalk. You did the right thing and showed remarkable restraint. You may still get to hunt it yet for that reason. M ::) nty

Lafitte

Apr 20, 2007
Western NC
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Sore Legs
I agree with all the above posts. Now it sounds like you'll end up with 2 older places to hunt.
You - good karma points. Him - bad karma points. 8)

LuisTH

May 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX series with 9" coil and 18" coil.
You handled it well. With that sort of person is better not to fall into an argument, because at the end you will lose. Well done.

The owner whoever he is surely has some problems, although I know a co-worker who would have reacted the same way. Anyways, some people are just nuts, and get on a power trip when in such a situation just so they can "yell down at someone else".

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep up your sprits. You did right, and well. We all make mistakes even if we don't know they are mistakes (and even if they aren't). You are absolutely right to back away calmly. I think you will probably wind up having 3 homes to search. Just may take a while.

Thanks for the story we all can learn from.

HH.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I had exactly the same thing happen to me. Only difference was the person brought the police with them and wanted me arrested for trespassing. Handcuffs and the back of a squad car really make you think about who gave you permission and if they actually had the right to give you permission.

Somehow, I just can't seem to argue with a person with a gun who can legally kill you.

Daryl

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
WOW, what a horror story!

You played your hand very well master. (Better than I would have)

You'll be rewarded for this one.

kroche22

Greenie
May 11, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Good job keeping your cool!. That had the potential to get real ugly real fast. Maybe the jerk did you a favor by gaining you additional properties to hunt.

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
BioProfessor said:
I had exactly the same thing happen to me. Only difference was the person brought the police with them and wanted me arrested for trespassing. Handcuffs and the back of a squad car really make you think about who gave you permission and if they actually had the right to give you permission.

Somehow, I just can't seem to argue with a person with a gun who can legally kill you.

Daryl

Well the lawyer that gave me permission to hunt is the City Attorney here so I don't think getting arrested would have gotten very far before he stepped in. But I understand completely how you feel. My dad was a cop and you NEVER want to argue with a man paid to carry a gun!!! And besides had this SOB involved the police I was more than ready to press charges for him slapping the card out of my hand, he did hit me in the process so he was quilty of Assult and Battery. Actually when I called the lawyer that gave me permission to hunt and relayed the story to him he asked me if I wanted to have a warrant for the guy's arrest sworn out. I passed. Now I wish I would have said yes!! Oh well take the high road I guess.

He who does good gets screwed.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well once the lawyer gets the land looks like you're going to have 3 places to hunt--the lawyer's land--the old home owner next door and his freind's place---see keeping your cool and being polite pays off ----in the end the good guys win after all---Ivan

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
well once the lawyer gets the land looks like you're going to have 3 places to hunt--the lawyer's land--the old home owner next door and his freind's place---see keeping your cool and being polite pays off ----in the end the good guys win after all---Ivan

Well my philosphy has been to treat others the way I want to be treated even if they are being a total jerk so I guess you are right Ivan. And yes I do think it will turn out okay in the long run but I want to detect NOW!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread