Family cemeteries in relation to family homestead

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Does anyone know if families established their family cemetary plot on their land in a specific location in relation to the actual house? Someone at work said they 'thought' in the old days the family graves were typically placed in a certain location... i.e. on the north corner of the house or something...

I am MD'ing a local park that has old graves, and I was trying to determine where the house once stood. I know the land for the park was a wealthy farm in the mid-1800's. The little bit of MDing I did last night near the graves (which are fenced in) and very old trees turned up old nails so that might indicate I was near the old barn area maybe. Google earth was only a little helpful. The small area I did last night was an open field (now used for volleyball) and tot lots which is surrounded by trees and water. The park is inbetween canals and swampy land. Any help would be appreciated...

I COULD go to the library tonight, but I would rather go back to MD some more!

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong, but....
Typically, when a family decided to bury members on their own land, the plot location wasn't always relative to the house. They would usually place the plots along a line, be it a fenceline, treeline, or near a stream/brook (i.e. Grampa's favorite spot was under that big tree). The deciding factor for these locations were more for sentimental reasons, and practicality (not many grave markers in the front yard).
See if you can dig up old aerial photos to find the location of the house. Old deeds with descriptions and maybe the lot layout (building sizes and locations) might be available from the Clerk of Courts or Assessors Office.
If the land has been regraded with trees removed for the park, it might be hard to eyeball the terrain for old building locations.
I hope this helps, good luck!

OP
OP
S

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
Gypsy - Thank you for that link. It was interesting on 2 counts... 1st, I lived in Fairfax County for 40 years (born in Arlington) so it was interesting to read through those listings and locations. 2nd, even though there didn't seem to be a specific spot that held the family graves, it appears that most families did set aside an area within 50-150 yards from the house for this purpose - close, but not too close. So that might be a clue for me!
Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread