Can pinpointer be used in snow without damaging it?

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro silver umax and fisher f44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
Eager to use my new pinpointer and detector. Here in interior Alaska we have an abundance of snow. Only places I could dig would be the tot lots filled with pea gravel as it would not be too frozen to dig. I have minelab profind 25. I know not to submerge it, but how about using it in the snow? I don't want to ruin my new equipment before I really get to enjoy it. Thanks a bunch!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Young Lady,
Minelab Security Cover With Lanyard TO FIT THE Minelab PRO Find 25 PIN Pointer | eBay
Visit this Ebay page and then continue to click inside that page - you (should see) varieties of colors and options, if available.
Very tough, thick covers of latex rubber = that keeps MOST of the bad stuff out, like water and grit.
However, as is, they aren't perfect, but THE best option out there.
See attached pic of my Garrett Pro Pointer, with a Papadoody cover on it.
Notice that I taped a juice jug cap on the big end, and stuck a rubber TV tray leg's boot-end on the small end, to fully bomb-proof the thing,
PICT6115.JPG
But, if you take everything apart, after a couple of wet-ish hunts, you'll do fine.
Not 100% waterproof, but very close.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all,
Eager to use my new pinpointer and detector. Here in interior Alaska we have an abundance of snow. Only places I could dig would be the tot lots filled with pea gravel as it would not be too frozen to dig. I have minelab profind 25. I know not to submerge it, but how about using it in the snow? I don't want to ruin my new equipment before I really get to enjoy it. Thanks a bunch!

While inside (where it's warm) cut a piece of black electrical tape and put over the speaker opening, you'll be fine. I probably wouldn't lay the PP down in the snow, mostly for fear I'd forget it, LOL.

OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may sound strange but could I stick this sucker in a ziplock bag and use it like that you think?
U rlly did that thing up! I didn't even know they sold covers

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While inside (where it's warm) cut a piece of black electrical tape and put over the speaker opening, you'll be fine. I probably wouldn't lay the PP down in the snow, mostly for fear I'd forget it, LOL.

yes you could - very cheap!
But, if you are in VERY gritty soils, like they have in Alaska, and the corn snow, sloppy consolidated snow, it is very abrasive!, not to mention the muddy gloves,
the tape would fail soon!
That's why I'm suggesting a more robust, protective enclosure for the pinpointer - which is a VERY important tool!
Sure bags are fine for covering your main machine, but in direct contact with the snow, mud and water,
I still would stick with what I have now - that has lasted a long while, still has kept my new probe
in un-altered, full warranty condition...! :thumbsup:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK I have to ask, is that a coyote biting your head and pulling it back?

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
yes you could - very cheap!
But, if you are in VERY gritty soils, like they have in Alaska, and the corn snow, sloppy consolidated snow, it is very abrasive!, not to mention the muddy gloves,
the tape would fail soon!
That's why I'm suggesting a more robust, protective enclosure for the pinpointer - which is a VERY important tool!
Sure bags are fine for covering your main machine, but in direct contact with the snow, mud and water,
I still would stick with what I have now - that has lasted a long while, still has kept my new probe
in un-altered, full warranty condition...! :thumbsup:

I've had the same tape last on mine an entire season, never had an issue. Matter of fact, just used mine a couple days ago in the pouring rain, water filling the holes I dug as fast as the dirt (mud) came out. Again, no issues, but I didn't stick it in deep enough water to hit the button or speaker opening.

So, what do you encase your entire detector in? It has switches and buttons, do you vacuum-seal it?

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think that a ziploc bag would be perfect. Just get one that fits the entire pinpointer!! There is also a way to water proof a pinpointer.

Heres a link to the video.

OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many cool ideas. Glad I can get ideas from others experienced in the hobby

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Miss peeboo... Early welcome to TN. area. I live in the Middle TN. area. Lots of MD'ers here in the area. HARD DIGGING AROUND HERE THOUGH! You won't have to worry about much (if any) snow. Later, Brad

OP
OP
peeboo

peeboo

Oct 5, 2015
Southeast GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to get back to warm humid Tennessee though. Sigh.

Rob.IV

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Hey there, Peeboo... Just thought I'd throw this out there to you... Garrett Propointer AT Waterproof Pinpointer... Hunter orange...

Ordering mine on eBay next week. One of my hunting partners has one and it is absolutely amazing. Check them out, read the reviews, and see what you think about it. Also look up some of the YouTube videos with different ones using it in the rivers to check the riverbeds in about 4 to 5 foot of water.

In the meantime, getting a cover as they suggested would be very wise for the one you have now.
Good luck and happy hunting...!!!

DoubleR

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how much are they Rob?

Rob.IV

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how much are they Rob?

Hey Jeff,
The cheapest that I saw was the pin pointer, 9 V battery, and a holster for $127.45 with free shipping... Of course I'm not sure if the free shipping is for everywhere because I did not look at the descriptions. I have seen others with different assessory kits up to $167

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the same tape last on mine an entire season, never had an issue. Matter of fact, just used mine a couple days ago in the pouring rain, water filling the holes I dug as fast as the dirt (mud) came out. Again, no issues, but I didn't stick it in deep enough water to hit the button or speaker opening.

So, what do you encase your entire detector in? It has switches and buttons, do you vacuum-seal it?

My detectors have nobs and buttons - I seal them up with vegetable bags and rubber bands.
Keep them upright in normal position seems to keep wet out very well.
I replace the bags often, and always take cable and battery out after hunts, to let any moisture go away.
Stays dry, and cheap way of protecting your machine.
Yes, I hunt all year long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread