What type of chest waders?

Rawkfist

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a decent pair of chest waders. I want to do some detecting and sifting in a stream near my home and I'm looking for a decent pair of chest waders at a fair price. Also, I might be concerned about stepping on sharp objects (i.e. nails etc). I guess steal shanks in the insole would be good but may present a real problem with setting the detector off a lot. Any suggestions from you experienced guys/gals in this area?
Thanks

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It depends on where you live also as insulated are nice when the waters are cooler. Now I might be wrong but make sure the they have a good chest strap, the part that you secure around the chest that if the water goes over top the waders aren't filled up. One never knows when a slip or stepping into a hole can result in a quick dunking.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Rawkfist, I am glad you asked this.

I am looking for the same thing, but I may be venturing into salt water as well as fresh.

I am looking at a wet suit, with diving boots. There is a 2 piece style that people like, so I am leaning that way.

It looks like I can get all I need for 200 or so.

One thing I have learned is that there are different thicknesses of the suits that you can choose depending on how cold your environment is.

I will be watching this thread.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using Redington "Crosswater" waders for about three years now with great results. I use them in salt and fresh water.

The Redington Crosswater Wader is the perfect entry level wader. We're anglers. We wade in the water, we don't jump in. Hence, Redington's selection of fly fishing waders - Waterproof. Durable. And functional. Our fly fishing waders have all the features you need without dipping into the retirement fund. Whether you're an angler or puddle jumper, our waterproof, breathable, ergonomically designed fly fishing waders go anywhere and allow you to do the same. Simple, yet effective.
  • 100% nylon 3-layer fabric
  • Opposing buckles for easy conversion to waist high
  • Integrated neoprene gravel guards
  • Chest pocket with drain holes
  • Flip-out pocket with YKK zipper
  • Belt loops with wading belt included
  • High density neoprene booties

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a pair of Orvis boot foot and they are great but not cheap.

First you have to decide if you want a sock foot and add a pair of boots, or the kind with the boots built-on.

Like Terry says - the Redington Crosswaters are about the best low to mid price sock-foot waders. You can get cheaper waders but they don't hold up.

If you are looking for colder waters look at duck hunting waders and not fly fishing waders. They will be insulated and run cheaper because of the target audience.

Also - if you're swinging a metal detector you can't be any deeper than you can reach down and dig, so hip boots may be a better solution.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Ordered a pair of hunting waders from Pro Bass today on line after trying a pair on in the store. By ordering on line I paired 79.95 instead of 149.00. It seems they make them in two camouflage patterns. One pattern is not selling well and is on sale on line only. You will find the 149.00 pattern in the store which is the one I tried on before ordering. Boots are insulated. Would attach link but don't know how.

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Checked yesterday and they raised the price back to 149.00. I got lucky.

Attachments

• 1453300194117.jpg
    1453300194117.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions